The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

head gasket or cracked bore?

3diamonds

So i was coming after a drive were i did give it a hit or 2 then got stuck in some traffic and had the temp gauge rise to over hot... pulled up and checked why, to find the thermo fan plug had come undone and cooked the engine. I'm Running a 4G63/64 engine set up.
So the outcome from that is the oil is milky, smells like fuel(E85) and the radiator is pumping water out like a volcano. Havent done a leak down test yet.
But seeing if I can get a few ideas of what i'm up for in a few weeks when i go on holidays and get time to fix the car...

What you guys think?

5OF2k

Holy hard-to-read post BATMAN!

If I read it correctly (and I'd like to assume I did) it sounds like your headgasket is toast. The only way to tell for certain is a leakdown test (while watching for bubbles in your radiator fill port, or by using a cooling system pressure tester, and peering into the cyliders through the sparkplug holes to see if coolant is coming into them. The latter will not only verify the headgasket issue, but also narrow it down to the location in which the failure occured.

Chances are though, with your oil milky and it pushing coolant out of the radiator, your head may be warped and in need of machining dependant on how bad it is. It'd also be a good idea to replace your waterpump and radiator cap as well as flushing the entire cooling system when you repair it.

Hope that helps!

-Jake

Vr4junkie

Overheated water in your oil most likely your head gasket blew no doubt about that. I realy doubt your block cracked head is warped get the head resurfaced and use a good head gasket DON'T use DNJ head gasket there crap.

How bad did it over heat?
Heres a altima I bought from a friend she over heated it so bad it cracked the piston.

JNR

If it turns out to be the head gasket, be sure to check your head for flatness, being it's alum. especially it may be warped. Possible that the head just expanded so much (being alum.) that it stretched the head bolts enough to when it cooled again there is a gap in between gasket and materials, so maybe the head is still good and just a gasket issed (hopefully). It's unlikely the block cracked, unless all of a sudden cool/cold water was sprayed on a hot cast iron, but anything's possible...always start with the easiest/obvious possibilities first and go up from there (i.e. proper troubleshooting).

Last edited:

OldHairyBastard

When these car overheat a lot of time the head will melt and form small holes in the aluminum that will blow off your radiator hose. Either way check the head when you take the motor apart.

mitsuturbo

If it got REALLY hot, the head could be warped bad enough that the cams may not line up in the bores properly anymore. Be sure and check it. You're probably going to want to get a different cylinder head core and have it built.

3diamonds

cheers mate for the info.. gonna pul the head off just after new years and see what is going on. just gonna do a leak down test & got some info from BAZENG and gonna get a bore scope and check out things...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned