The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Water pump opinions

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I have used three Part Dino pumps, but none have accumulated significant durability evaluation miles.

Polish

18-650.jpg

This is the picture they show for the one I ordered.

SmoothCustomer

Wait, you payed $26 for the aisin? That's the one everyone else has for $120. Hopefully that's not a stock photo. I expect info when you get it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I've had ALOT of SR20 water pumps that had the Nissan part number on them with Nissan just ground off the water pump. All those were had for around $35. I would imagine that water pumps for other makes can be had this way.

cspetros

Polish, if that one from Rock Auto says AISIN on it, that is the brand that comes on the engine as STOCK. FTW.

Let us know when it arrives.

If that is the case, I will be ordering one from Rock Auto.

Last edited:

I think there is stock markings on the pump because it is rebuilt. They just sandblast the pump and put in a new shaft and seal, I think.

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting Robb:
I think there is stock markings on the pump because it is rebuilt. They just sandblast the pump and put in a new shaft and seal, I think.

You think, but you have no proof. It's very possible that the same pump as Mitsubishi sells can be had for 1/4 the cost elsewhere.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
If it is advertised as new, it should not be a reman.

Polish

Got my pump today, it does not say Aisin on it but it does have the same type blades as stock.

Came with a gasket and Oring.

Mark on the pulley shaft - WB1835096
Inside the house - P0507

We'll see. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

someone needs to invent a electric water pump for these things /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cspetros

^^Agreed. I ordered the same one Polish did from Rock Auto today. They've already shipped it out.

I'll keep you posted on how it does. It seems like the answers I've gotten are pretty varied... stock and non-stock alike.

I appreciate all of the info though.

bazeng, can you take some pics.. i was thinking about rigging up a moroso electric water pump motor from jegs and try to adapt it to drive the oem pulley.

CarRacer

Rau runs an electric pump on his drag car. The picture I took doesn't show it very well but he just cut off the outlet and welded on a AN fitting pointing forward on his car. He also ran a hose to one of the freeze plugs in the head near the cam gears. It was a nice machined piece that fit in the plug spot. I'm guessing he gutted the pump to help with flow.

The electric pump was mounted near the radiator too. Maybe sixsixtwo had better pictures of that setup. I only took one picture of the motor with my phone and it won't show the electric pump anyways.

DR1665

I'm curious. There's a number of people in this thread suggesting that a non-OEM water pump that fails at 40-60K is a bad thing. I highly suspect the number of people here who have put that many miles on a single GVR4 is on the smaller side. I can't say I would consider that a negative point.

I've always used the off-brand bits from Parts Dinosaur for rebuilds - including water/oil pumps, timing belt tensioners and pullies - and have never had one fail in the Arizona heat. I *have* had OEM alternators fail within the the first week after install though. A few isolated failures are unfortunate, but it happens and it seems to me that you're seldom out the money spent on them. Besides, if you can get 60K out of a water pump that costs a quarter of the price of the OEM unit from the dealer, you can rather easily replace the water pump when you're doing the timing belt (if nothing else, for peace of mind) at the 60K service interval four times before you would stand to lose anything beyond those five minutes it takes to swap the pump during a tbelt job.

Not sayin', just sayin'.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned