The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Timing belts, balance belts & water pump

Mr_Fielgood

Im doing a timing belt job and I wanted to know what you guys thing about replacing oem belts to gates racing belts.
Better than oem or should I go with oem?
Also I want to replace the water pump. I know that the previous owner had an aftermarket water pump installed.
Should I keep the aftermarket water pump since it was replaced not to long ago or should I go with oem?

Last edited by a moderator:

coyotes

Gates are good, you can go with them for both the belt and the water pump. I wouldn't use any other brand except OEM or Gates for timing components and water pump. unless you want HKS or Greddy belt, but those are $$$$$

89Patches

Gates is the only other option to OEM IMO. Just speaking for t-belt and bs belt. Honestly haven't had a problem with their water pumps either.

Wookalar

Quote:
Timing belts, balance belts & water pumps

Oh my

I haven't tried one but I would trust a gates belt, OEM is not much more though. I put on an hks belt in 2009 and haven't thought of it since. Water pump OEM only, please, thank you.

There's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like home.

Wookalar

PS New OEM tensioner and idler pullies while you are in there. Follow the yellow brick road.

Fiascoxl

I've put over 20k miles on Gates water pump, timing belt, and roller tensioner and pulley. The only thing that is a most certainty is the hydraulic tensioner, never use anything other than OEM! To each his own but I probably have over 200k miles combined on Gates products.

BENE38A

I have never used gates but have heard great things.
Here is the part numbers for the tensioner and pulleys, everyone here is on the same page with only using oem for these bits. MD129355 happy face pulley, MD164533 timing tensioner, MD156604 idler pully and here is the oem waterpump P/N for the hell of it MD972052.

Mr_Fielgood

Thanks for the part numbers it really helps me out. Yeah I think I'm going to go with a gates timing belt and balancer belts, oem water pump and of course oem tensioner and pulleys.

EMX5636

Just make sure when you get any aftermarket waterpump, that it has the higher flow impeller. I'm sure the bigger companies like Gates all do, but I've seen some that don't, and they tend to run hot.

It's a stamped steel "fan" this instead of a cast iron wheel like this . Added links for pics.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned