The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Pics of the JDM Fuel Door Installed

Hittman

Hey guys I just bought what I believe (and was told) is a JDM E39A Fuel Door. After I installed it, I realized that it didnt have an OEM fit to it....it seems a little off. I was wondering if this is normal, I installed it wrong...or was I 'shasted' per se?

it seems to pop out a little towards the top and doesnt sit flush with the rest of the body...also call me crazy but it even looks a tad bit smaller (miniscule amount) than the OEM USDM Fuel Door.

I don't understand the craze behind these. Honestly I don't pay attention to that keyhole at all or care that it makes enough difference to replace it. Do you have a stock one? I'd replace it with that unless you got the car with it missing.

JackbNimble

I agree with crankwalk.

However, my handle broke off my gas door opener inside the car, so getting a keyless door seems like a bad decision at this point /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

steve

Regardless of anyone's personal opinion of whether or not they look better...

Does anyone know if this is how its supposed to fit? Did the OP get the wrong part?

Hittman

Thanks Steve.

The REAL reason for getting this had NOTHING to do with aesthetics. It was simply that its damn near cold as hell outside and I hate taking my key out of the ignition to open the damn gas door everytime, I'd rather just open it and have the car still "on" (electronically) w/ radio etc...while I pump my gas

Muskrat

You can't do that with the stock door? Last I checked the lever inside the car still worked, the key was just another way to open it.

I can't comment on size, but fit wise every car is a bit different. You need to fit the panels to the car. So you may need to tweak the filler door to get it to sit flush.

You should see the body fit area's at the plant I work at. People hanging off doors, taking crowbars and hammers to the latches. It's pretty crazy.

Last edited:

fuel

loosen off the two 10mm bolts a little so it can just move a little with force and then try again.

also, I should point out my 'jdm' vr-4 has a key hole in the filler door...

Hittman

thats what I have been doing, I'm going to try adjusting it later tonight

unless I've been riding the short train since I've purchased my GVR4, I'm almost 100% positive that the fuel door will not open unless I have the key inserted and turned to the right. I've tried just opening it without using the key and it didn't work.

chucklesas

Sounds like your door was missing the spring to pop it open.

jepherz

Staff member
+1 to above. You just have it adjusted wrong. And second, if it was working properly, you could open the door from inside the cabin with the cable....why else would they have put that lever in there?

Hittman

that makes so much sense...last night i noticed that my OEM door didnt have a spring and didnt think much of it...doh!

yea and as far as teh lever in the car...I just wasnt thinking on that end (I'm not a rah tard, I swear)

thanks again guys for solving a somewhat mundane problem

I won't laugh. Sometimes I miss what seems to be rather simple stuff like this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

Glad you got it worked out.

turbowop

Mine fit fine after playing with the bolts and bracket a little.

It's a pretty cheap mod for what I think looks 100x better, IMO. Right up there with painting the door handles to match the body color. All that paintwork and carbon fiber hood/trunk and you don't think your car would look better with a smooth $40 fuel filler door, Jay?

Look at the first pic in my gallery and then the one a few down of the car in my driveway. That lock cylinder sticks out like a sore thumb...at least on dark colors anyway.

Last edited:

Maybe on dark cars but on white cars I just never notice.

Actually in this case the JDM filler door sticks out like a sore thumb.

I agree with Wop on this one, and my bitch is summit white. That shitty ass key hole kind of mess's up the smooth clean look, if your going for that.

On the other hand, if your going for for the virgin, all original look, the original grocery getter lock door would be more ideal. IMO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Did you complete the super clean look by shaving the keyholes in the doors? They are so ugly and stand out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Hittman

Quoting TRBODSM:
I'll take it off your hands if you don't want it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm going to try to adjust it, (and take the damn pinstripes off), if it still doesn't sit well w/ me then I'll post it in the for sale section

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned