The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Cure for sticky door locks! How-to in the future.

Barnes

The door locks on 908 have become unruly. They are really bad in winter. I realized they were getting so bad, that winter would be hell. So...

I started tearing into the passenger door.

I've found all the places that cause the automatic locks to lock-unlock repeatedly,what makes doors really hard to open, crappy locks, and all the generally sticky/slow/hard door crap.

So I'm gonna take a ton of pictars and do a write up. So far it is really simple. Hard part is dealing with that awful goop that they used to attach the moisture barrier to the door frame.

Second project is going to be fixing the slow windows.

atc250r

Staff member
I had problems with mine a couple of years ago. I spent about 15 minutes spraying WD40 into every key cylinder, door latch, and any hole in the door that would let me get some WD on the mechanisms inside. After that it worked great.

John

Barnes

Wow. That's one way to do it.

I guess I wanted to specifically pin-point the trouble spots. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JNR

Graphite lube is designed for locks (tumblers) and to keep them from freezing, also...Check your key and see if maybe you can get a new one made and/or get a new tumbler set from the dealer (I would think they're still available); easy to changeover. When they get worn, they don't engage smoothly, although the GL will help.

KT

I've dealt with the slow windows before.

I took the door panel off and pulled out the weather strip. Then wash the weather strip in a bucket with mild soap and a rag until the inner track is clean then hang to dry. Thoroughly clean the window to remove all the built u grime. After it is reinstalled, use some silicone spray to keep the windows sliding smoothly.

Barnes

Thanks for the tips guys.

I decided, against my better judgement, to pull apart the lock cylinder. I messed up the chrome trim piece that is on the outside. It is crimped over the lock cylinder, which was really hard to undo with out screwing it up. Oh well, I'm sure I can get that from somewhere.

I might just cruise over to a locksmith and get some ideas on what I can do. My key is simply worn so much it doesn't properly place the tumblers. I might just file them down come to think of it, so I can keep using the same key.

GVR-4

Can you switch the driver side tumbler with the passenger side tumbler?

Last edited:

Barnes

I'm pretty sure I could. I don't think thye are side specific. The passenger side isn't much better though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

slugsgomoo

are you sure it's the tumbler and not the key? My car was terrible, and then I got iceman to hook me up with the key code with the VIN, and mitsu cut me a new key. Would've been cheap except i got the super-pimp rubber key that was like $12.

Barnes

Well. Looking at the tumblers with the key in, I think the key has just worn, not the tumblers. So I might just file out the protruding tumblers.

That way I can keep using the same key for everything. Works fine in the ignition for instance.

Chad989of2000

Thought the slow windows were a safety feature /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

BoostedAWD91

Quoting JNR:
Graphite lube is designed for locks (tumblers) and to keep them from freezing, also...Check your key and see if maybe you can get a new one made and/or get a new tumbler set from the dealer (I would think they're still available); easy to changeover. When they get worn, they don't engage smoothly, although the GL will help.

this is what i used when my locks were stubborn and felt like i was gonna break the key off in the door and it has worked great so far

atc250r

Staff member
I agree that graphite is designed for lubing locks but when you've got years of neglect (i.e. rust, corrosion) then I think a light penetrating oil like WD is a better bet as a first move, once they've loosened up some graphite would be good.

John

Barnes

Well. I'm gonna clean them with brake cleaner first of course. I think I'm going to use white lithium grease, then add graphite later. It looks like it is lubed from the factory with white lithium.

misterfixit

I use motorcuycle chain lube in my door locks and hinges. goes in like brake cleaner, then thichens up and turns to grease.

rich

misterfixit

oh, one other thing, get a heat gun and warm up the sealer. make sure you replace/repair the moisture barrier when you are done. will keep the car warm and toasty, and will make sure the hvac works properly.

rich

Barnes

Speaking of which. What the hell is that sealer stuff?

I went to buy more at the parts store, but I didn't see anything that looked familar.

I guess I'm gonna bust out the CD manual and see what I can find.

CP

It's black goo that's impossible to get off your hands for a week. I used the graphite stuff last year per the suggestion from several of you and it worked great.

What can I do for rear door handles that are difficult to pull? I think it's a latch alignment issue, as both rear door latches open with a "pop," like they're binding until they finally snap open. I need to really yank on the handles to get both rear doors to open.

atc250r

Staff member
Slide the striker out?

The black goop is often called "dum dum" and stereo shops sometimes have it.

John

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned