The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Cure for sticky door locks! How-to in the future.

Barnes

"dum dum"?

Nice. I found the part number in the manual, but I can't find a cross reference yet.

Barnes

Well. Got everything buttoned back up on the passenger side.

Went pretty well. I wasn't able to get the window to roll up and down as nicely as I wanted, but it's better.

The lock/key/handle etc etc all work 100x better. It's very nice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting BarnesMobile:
"dum dum"?

Nice. I found the part number in the manual, but I can't find a cross reference yet.

Use rope butyl. Easier to mold, sticky , but not too sticky.

Body shop supply places should have it. I think that is what John means by "dum dum" (you give me gum gum).

Barnes

I used white lithium spray and tube kinds to lubricate everything.

number3

Don't use WD 40 or grease in the locks. They only attract dirt and gum up the cylinder even more. Armor all is good on the window tracks to speed them up as a temp fix and last for at least a month and is easy to do.

The door lock comes out by removing a clip from inside the door.

The monkey snot that holds the plastic to the inside of the door will come off your hands with goo off. Put the plastic back when you are done. It is there for a reason.

beaner

I always thought of wd40 as a cleaner instead of lubricant. White silicone spray has been very good for me on lots of things over the years.

strokin4dr

Quoting beaner:
I always thought of wd40 as a cleaner instead of lubricant.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

ktmrider

Quoting Beaner:
I always thought of wd40 as a cleaner instead of lubricant. White silicone spray has been very good for me on lots of things over the years.

WD = Water Dispersant, 40 = number of recipes/formulas until production.
WD40 was originally made for the aircraft industry as a rust inhibitor. As we all know oil and water don't mix so yes there is some oil in the fluid but not much plus the viscocity is super thin so it seeps away fairly quick.
Some motorcycle folks used it on chains back in the day, was good for getting inside the link joints but the spinning motion would sling it out almost immediately plus attract dirt ( bye bye chain ). Some still use it but afterward apply a lithium type grease to hold the fluid in and repel dirt away from the roller assemblies.

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting strokin4dr:
Quoting beaner:
I always thought of wd40 as a cleaner instead of lubricant.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

It works well for removing tar from vehicles with no effect on the paint. It also works to remove adhesives. I used it to clean up some plastic taillights that had old dried duct tape adhesive residue on them and was afraid to use anything stronger for fear of damaging the plastic. Had to saturate it (the residue) and rub a bit, but it worked great.

But yes, original use is water displacement. It is not really a good penetrant either.

Barnes

As far as the lock cylinder goes, I used white lithium grease on it because that is what was there before.

Doesn't look like it collected much dirt. The only other substance there was graphite.

I pretty much just looked at what lubricated everything from the factory, and tried to replicate that.

I did get the moisture barrier back in. Doesn't fit that great realy. I ended up using some really good 3M duct tape to get it all back together.

atc250r

Staff member
I've heard from a couple of members on here last time I posted about using WD40 that it will attract dirt and gum up the cylinder. My question is how much dirt actually gets past the metal "door" on the outside of the lock cylinder? IMHO not much. I did mine over a year ago and it has been much better ever since.

John

Barnes

Well. Like I said. The cylinder was full of white lithium grease. It looked old as hell, and there really wasn't much dirt in there.

atc250r

Staff member
I wasn't arguing with you Jon, I was just saying that I can't see any way for dirt to get in there. Isn't it nice to turn a smooth as butter lock cylinder? Every time I unlocked my door it brought a smile to my face. In fact, the trunk cylinder didn't work for years, I lubed it and within a couple of hours it worked again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

John

Barnes

It actually gave me a tingly feeling in my special place. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

That's how nice it was. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts