The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Pics of the JDM Fuel Door Installed

Crankwalk,
I.....myself have the original door, along with the rest of the car, original, besides slight engine mod's. So no, I'm not shaving my door keyholes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

To each there own though.

GIjoe

The jdm fuel door is cool IMO. A lot of cars from the 90s dont have keyholes in the fuel filler doors anyway. It just looks better and its oem. Oh and the door can be opened with a plain slotted screwdriver... try it..it has no lock mechanism in it.

so if anybody has one in nile back, let me know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quoting Hittman:
Quoting TRBODSM:
I'll take it off your hands if you don't want it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm going to try to adjust it, (and take the damn pinstripes off), if it still doesn't sit well w/ me then I'll post it in the for sale section

As for pinstripes, I'd masking tape the whole fuel door double layer but leave the two strips exposed and then hit the area gently with 1500 or 2000 grit and soapy water. Remove the tape when the pinstripes are gone and use a mild abrasive to buff it, then skip to a polish and then wax.

Last edited by a moderator:

turbowop

Quoting crankwalk:
Did you complete the super clean look by shaving the keyholes in the doors? They are so ugly and stand out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I use my door locks all the time. I've never once used the fuel door lock. Considering it only takes two bolts to swap it out it's a bit simpler than shaving door locks and adding some custom way of unlocking the doors. Why are you so hardcore against this?

grocery_getter

I imported a brand new JDM fuel door along with brand new JDM front and rear bumper way back in 1998. As best as I remember (this is 12 years ago) the JDM fuel door doesn't sit right. I resorted to shaving the key lock mechanism from the US fuel door for the best fit.

misterfixit

have a look at my cars in the pictures i have posted in members rides and the big thread on my car that got smashed. They have keyless fuel doors that were not original.

Hope this helps.

Rich

Romanova

I got one from Garfield and could never get it quite right. Sucks because it wouldn't open... no amount of adjusting would make it work either. Gave up and went back to stock.

Jordangvr4

Not to throw your topic off.....but,I'm looking for a JDM gas door for you guy's that are unhappy with it!...

Last edited:

misterfixit

All mine came off cars I actually stripped. I gues a gas door just looks like a gas door if there is no reference. The keyless one is the same stamping as the keyed one, and the hinge is also the same. I can post a pic of the back of the door if you like. Colts and Diamantes also had similar body lines so guess if there is no way of verifying exactly then i guess you could have ended up with one of those.

Rich

Quoting Romanova:
I got one from Garfield and could never get it quite right. Sucks because it wouldn't open... no amount of adjusting would make it work either. Gave up and went back to stock.

Quoting turbowop:
Quoting crankwalk:
Did you complete the super clean look by shaving the keyholes in the doors? They are so ugly and stand out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I use my door locks all the time. I've never once used the fuel door lock. Considering it only takes two bolts to swap it out it's a bit simpler than shaving door locks and adding some custom way of unlocking the doors. Why are you so hardcore against this?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif I'm not I literally could not care less about them. I think it's funny that so many people think they make a huge diffiernce and thats why im giving sh*t about it. USDM bumpers to JDM bumpers is a big difference but this I dont really notice.

I was being sarcastic about shaving the door locks and with keyless I never use them either but they dont bother me.

turbowop

I don't think anybody ever said it made a huge difference. It's subtle, something most people wouldn't notice. But it does look bettah, IMO. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14u2nV

I just filled the hole on the stock door, made a new latch and "tadaa", working lockless door. Still matches the body, still works.

mistaVR4

That's the way to do it Kenny! If that's the look you want then this is a perfect method /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Post a couple pics if you can bro? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Peace,

-Steve

number3

This is how 'real' men do it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

What fuel door?

OMFG......electric? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Nice! First stop; Sema 2010

Hittman

Quoting misterfixit:
All mine came off cars I actually stripped. I gues a gas door just looks like a gas door if there is no reference. The keyless one is the same stamping as the keyed one, and the hinge is also the same. I can post a pic of the back of the door if you like. Colts and Diamantes also had similar body lines so guess if there is no way of verifying exactly then i guess you could have ended up with one of those.

Rich

Thats what I was thinking...it seems to me to be a fuel door from another car, i'll take a look at the thread in question to verify my fit though

If you could send me a pic of the inside of the fuel door I'd appreciate it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

Quoting jordangvr4:
Not to throw your topic off.....but,I'm looking for a JDM gas door for you guy's that are unhappy with it!...

Tyler,
I'm not sure what would cause yours not to open. All I did was unbolt my usdm door & bolt on the jdm door & everything works fine. Yes there's minimal amount of adjustment you need to do to get it to line up properly but it's a 5 min job tops.

misterfixit

Here are two pictures of the indide of the fuel door.

If you need any more, shout.

Rich

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned