The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Oil Pump Leak?

marvinmadman

This is what I have after running the motor for about 30 seconds. I'll pull it apart in the next few days, but wanted to see if anyone seen this before. Its leaking through the front of the pulley? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

ive seen this before. on my evo 8. the housing went bad and the oil pump pully walked and pulled closer to the crank. you will need to get a new housing.

grocery_getter

The seal behind the pulley seals on the outer center of the pulley. You either have a big scratch on the outer surface of the center or bad seal or the shaft wobble in the housing so much that the seal just fails to seals all together.. Best way to find out is to take off the timing belt and take off the center nut to inspect the pulley, the seal and the actual shaft inside of it for radial and axial movement.

marvinmadman

Couldnt wait. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif No scars that I can see inside the pulley where the seal contacts. Only thing I can see is that the seal isn't pressed far enough inside the housing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Or it just doesn't have a good enough seal on the OD of the seal because of not being pressed far enough in. IDK Just order a new seal and press it in with a little RTV and hope for the best... Oh and the pump shaft has NO play in any direction.

Last edited:

vtecds1

Had the same problem a couple of years back. Found out that the nut had come loose. Put a little locktite in the thread and have had no problem since.

marvinmadman

Nut was tight. So that isn't the problem here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

marvinmadman

Pulled the seal out, RTV on new seal and pressed it in. Viola, NO more oil seepage. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

turbowop

I know you said it's a new oil pump, but I haven't seen a black seal in a long time. Cam seals, crank seal, oil pump seal...they've all been brown colored for me lately. Maybe it was old? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited:

marvinmadman

It was new, and the new one I put in is black. National brand.

dmj

I am replacing all my front seals right now with oem. National/ Beck Arnley seals seem to have a very short life on our cars.The nationals lasted about 13,000 miles on the balance shaft and oil pump.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned