The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

BLUE SMOKE!!!!!!!

turbowop

If you looped the valve cover breathers, effectively blocking them off, you probably pushed oil past the turbo seals into the turbine housing. This would also be why your plugs are dry.

Over the winter, when it got into the single digits, my catch can and lines on 503 froze up and I ended up with a smoke screen. Considering how much I use that car for skiing, I promptly put it back the way the factory had it. Works great.

Why it ran on less than all cylinders I don't know.

Last edited:

turbowop

The turbo doesn't have to be shot for excessive crankcase pressure to push oil past its seals and into the turbine or compressor housing. If you block off the crankcase vents, then the pressure created by the pistons moving up and down is what does it, not the turbo.

You still haven't answered whether or not you ran the car with the vent lines looped?

Last edited:

Terry Posten

Oil past the oil rings on the turbo. Caused by too much crank case pressure.

You will need to clean out all the intake piping and get the crank case pressures down.

Kenny_Kline

Tomorrow, I am going to run the PCV valve to the intake manifold. I am going to let it run for 20 minutes tomorrow.

Here is my intake + my findings.

intake1.jpg

intake2.jpg

oil4.jpg

oil1.jpg

oil2.jpg

oil3.jpg

Brianawd

Is that a real MHI 16g or is it a china 16g. As for you miss. Clean the Maf that is now socked in oil.

Kenny_Kline

Oil never made it up to the MAF. I just pulled the piping off the turbo and not mouch oil. The pulled piping off the TB and MAF and dry as can be. No oil made it through the intercooler. This didnt happen at any high boost levels. This happened at idle...

turbowop

When I pushed oil out the turbo seals due to high crankcase pressures, it was so much that it was dripping out from between the exhaust gaskets and out the flex section. It was pretty bad.

My turbo was the same. Zero shaft play.

So...are you still parting out the car? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Last edited:

Kenny_Kline

I may part it out. I am waiting a week regardless before I sell one thing, excpt my dash badge which I was offered $65. I will sell that no matter what.

Did you have to replace any seals in the turbo?

Hopefully, I can fix this thing back up and running. I am not tearing this motor down again.

Last edited:

turbowop

Unless the shaft play is abnormal, like wheels scraping housings, you don't need to replace seals. If it's that bad you have bigger things to worry about than just seals anyway. The seals are just metal rings that work off of pressure differential, like piston rings. By blocking the crankcase ventilation, you make it so they can't work correctly.

I ended up installing an Evo3 16g on the car because I made the mistake of thinking the turbo was blown. Live and learn.

Last edited:

Kenny_Kline

Well I have no shaft play at all. Spins freely. PERFECT!

I will give it a try tomorrow and see if crank case pressure straightens up also I will do a compression test

Kenny_Kline

Here are my findings:

I routed PCV valve to intake manifold. I let the vent tube on valve cover vent. I started engine and let it warm up. Instantly, I was getting high crankcase pressure. Vent tube off valve cover was putting out a white mist blowing cold air, high pressure. After about 30 seconds, exhaust started puffing white smoke. Alot of white smoke. I let warm up to about 170 degrees and I revd the motor up. It put out LOTS of blue smoke mixed with white smoke.

I shut down engine and pulled the spark plugs. Cylinder 3 was steaming. Fuel I pulled the fuel pump fuse, ignition module disconnected, TB set at WOT and performed a compression test. From left to right standing in front of the motor, here are the results.

Cyl#4 60psi
Cyl#3 75psi
Cyl#2 165psi
Cyl#1 170psi

Safe to say a head gasket???

Here is the deal, I will keep the motor if its a head gasket issue. No big deal. If its anything more than that, I am done. I dont know how the head gasket would fail. I have ARP head studs and a 4layer MLS head gasket. Had the block and head prepped corrrectly. I sprayed a light coat of copper spray on head gasket.

Discuss!

prove_it

you did it wrong....

ok ok anyways, it's possible you got a piece of dirt or something under the head. I redid a head gasket for a friend on a sr20det because it leaked. I pulled it off and found that whoever did it got a piece of grass between the head and gasket.

yea it happens.

Well it's a MLS gasket so you can pull it and reuse it so start wrenching and let us know.

Last edited:

Struc

Yeah, sure sounds like a bad head gasket. However, my guess is that it blew the turbo seals as well, because that much smoke, after 30 seconds, usually means turbo. I should know - my brand new EVOIII-16G blew its seal for some reason. Car ran normal, but after about 30-60 seconds, the smoke would start pouring out. Just got done putting a used small 16g back on the car as a replacement for now.

If it was burning it somehow, it would start smoking right away, but since it's leaking out the turbo, it takes a minute for it to heat up enough to start smoking.

Last edited:

I had a bad PCV valve on my colt once and it blew massive clouds of smoke out and ran like crap. The car would die when I took off my oil filler cap or dipstick also. I went and bought a new PCV valve and it started up and ran perfect. It took me 2 months of messing with it to figure this out.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif i wanted to crush my car as well

Kenny_Kline

Forget about the turbo. The turbo isnt causing the low compression numbers. I am going to swap the head gasket and see if that brings the numbers back up. If it does, I will move on to the turbo and see what turns up.

Going to do a wet test in a little bit just to make sure rings are still good.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned