The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Oil Pressure Relief Valve Porting

BoostedAWD91

I know there is some threads about this already but i couldnt find the exact answer i was looking for. How much do u wanna expand the hole? Is there a measurement i could go by? My oil pressure is way to high and need to port this and i dont wanna over port it and then not have enough pressure.

ktmrider

Another good link from Tooners click
Look at post #89.

Last edited:

PreskitVR4

porting is common practice, cutting the spring sounds scary if you cut too much you cant put it back. besides isnt that spring for the oil t-stat to the cooler?

SleepinGVR4

People have cut the spring in extreme conditions and only as a last resort. No one ports the water cooled OFH. The filter has a tendency to back off. Get a 90 OFH and port that. And who says your oil pressure is to high for the stock water cooled OFH?

Last edited:

ktmrider

Sleepin and Preskit, what are you guys talking about?!?
Porting the pressure bypass orifice is somewhat common after deleting the balance shafts and/or oil squirters. Deleting either of the two items can cause the oil pressure to spike well over 100psi when cold and run 70-100psi even when warm. It's been know to damage seals in both the motor and BB turbos.
The link I posted above shows the general shape ( gumdrop ) and how far to do it. Edit, changed the link slide to #89, it shows an unported orifice and how to trim it.
Cutting the spring is dangerous as you have to shim it to prevent the bypass piston from opening too much.

Last edited:

BoostedAWD91

+1
i wouldnt cut the spring. porting the relief valve port can be done on any of the housings

Porting it is a very simple procedure. It worked perfectly for me. DO NOT CUT THE SPRING. I just took my time and filed it by hand just like the pic in the link. A "gumdrop" or "D" shape right to the edge where the piston seals.

SleepinGVR4

Quoting ktmrider:
Sleepin and Preskit, what are you guys talking about?!?
Porting the pressure bypass orifice is somewhat common after deleting the balance shafts and/or oil squirters. Deleting either of the two items can cause the oil pressure to spike well over 100psi when cold and run 70-100psi even when warm. It's been know to damage seals in both the motor and BB turbos.
The link I posted above shows the general shape ( gumdrop ) and how far to do it. Edit, changed the link slide to #89, it shows an unported orifice and how to trim it.
Cutting the spring is dangerous as you have to shim it to prevent the bypass piston from opening too much.

I forgot the BS were removed from Chris's motor. I have the BS removed and the OFH ported and my oil pressure gets up to 70psi sometimes. So now what?

70 psi at redline should be normal. 120 on the other hand is too much. I have 10 at idle and 70-80 at redline.

Is this too much? I finally ported mine and think I may have taken out my VR4 aggression on the poor opening. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

How's she look?

brisvr4

To me it looks like you may have ported it a little too much. See how it is opened up past where the piston seals.I guess you could try it and keep a very good eye on your oil pressure?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned