The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Why don't we have a Oil Pressure gauge?

alansupra94

I was just curious as to why the VR4's don't have stock oil pressure gauge while the 1G's do?

Oh and I searched but I am not exactly the best at it so sorry in advance if this has already come up.

Thanks,
Alan

4thStroke

Our oil pressure dummy light is going to be more effective than a gauge. People don't usually watch the gauge. Factory gauges are usually pretty crude as it is, in some cases, they'll read the same (in the middle) as long as its in the safe limits. If the factory gauge drops, most people aren't going to catch it until it's too late (ie: motor stops running) unless a dummy light comes on. Gauges don't usually have a scale, either (or maybe I'm not driving the right vehicles) so it's a guess at best where the pressure actually is.

When our pressure drops, the dummy light comes on, and it's tough to miss a big red warning light on the dash while driving. I think the pressure has to drop to a ridiculously low level to even trigger it, and in most cases, it's going to be too late anyways.

That may be more than you were asking, but I'm just trying to get the point across that we aren't missing out on much and have nothing to be jealous of.

I guess maybe the correct answer would be, "Mitsubishi was too cheap." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

alansupra94

I know stock gauges are pretty much as accurate as giving Stevie Wonder a 3 point shot.

I am installing an after-market one and was just curious to see if there was maybe a reason that I wasn't aware of.

Last edited:

OMFGeofffff

Instead of oil pressure they gave us a color changing button. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

fuel

Quoting raptorreed:
They weren't invented in 87' oh and we aren't DSMs.

weird... both my 1980 Eterna GSR and 1982 Galant GT coupes have factory oil pressure gauges.. as do many 70s Colts and Mitsubishis.

raptorWagon

lol, well you're just special Fuel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif, plus the 70s Colt/Galants are rare stateside, almost had my hands on a GD wagon, but the seller fell through on it.

I do like my color changing cluster though!

Boostdtalon

Quote:
lol, well you're just special Fuel , plus the 70s Colt/Galants are rare stateside, almost had my hands on a GD wagon, but the seller fell through on it.

I do like my color changing cluster though!

I know where a mint 74' Colt is right now and it's for sale! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

fuel

do all the USDM GVR-4s have colour changing dash clusters? It's only on the JDM prefacelift '87 to late '89 models, facelift late '89 to '92 models did away with it.

Terry Posten

Yes, all 91-92 USDM GVR4s have the dual color dash.

JackbNimble

I can also confirm that 90 GGSX's have the dual color dash in the US.

GIjoe

Quoting OMFGeofffff:
Instead of oil pressure they gave us a color changing button. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

lol. quite frankly I would have preferred an oil pressure gauge...even if it isn't accurate. Just the fact that its there would have made the car seem more like a "serious" sports car. I could picture people braggin bout their brand new VR4s back in 91, sayin sh*t like "check it out Jim, it haz a DIGITAL boost gauge, and looky here, an oil pressure gauge too and all wheel STEERING, pretty effin cool huh?"
Instead they must have said something like "look, I can change the colour of my dash cluster from green to RED by simply pressing this little button right here! What an awesome and cool feature huh?"
seriously, its cool, but only for like 5mins... I keep mine green, just like on any other stock galant...

Last edited:

H05TYL

haha, I remember when I first tired the colour change button: green - orange... er, yuck... back to green, lol

alansupra94

Quoting GIjoe:
Quoting OMFGeofffff:

lol. quite frankly I would have preferred an oil pressure gauge...even if it isn't accurate. Just the fact that its there would have made the car seem more like a "serious" sports car. I could picture people braggin bout their brand new VR4s back in 91, sayin sh*t like "check it out Jim, it haz a DIGITAL boost gauge, and looky here, an oil pressure gauge too and all wheel STEERING, pretty effin cool huh?"
Instead they must have said something like "look, I can change the colour of my dash cluster from green to RED by simply pressing this little button right here! What an awesome and cool feature huh?"
seriously, its cool, but only for like 5mins... I keep mine green, just like on any other stock galant...

LOL I did the same thing. I was like cool...wait ew back to green.

I am going to get an after market gauge anyhow so it wasn't that big of a deal. Now the question is where am I going to get an oil pressure gauge that has a green backlight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

GIjoe

^^well, if you want something thats close to stock, I think some monteros came with a 1DIN size panel that had 3 gauges. Oil pressure, volts and something else, cant remember (oil temp maybe?). The only problem with these is that they aren't accurate at all, but they're oem and would fit nicely under the stereo.

Last edited:

alansupra94

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I think I want accuracy over looks.

Although I am curious to see if DSMLink V3 logs data like this and if I can feed it data other than the wideband /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

gtluke

It's a phased out gauge. People focus on and and make complaints to the dealer about low oil pressure at idle. Manufacturers started deadening them so they are more vague. I know in 93 the oil pressure sensor in the mustang was replaced with an on/off switch where on just put the needle at 5/8 or whatever is normal, Ford was sick of people coming in and saying the pressure was low when really it's fine.

BoostedAWD91

i can say that stock oil gauges are pretty worthless as far as giving you warning before your sh*t out of luck. A few years back i was driving my old 1G to class and once i saw the oil pressure gauge drop, the cam seized before i ever could get to the key to turn off the car and blew the head up.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts