The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

new owner, new engine

DR1665

Haha. Been there. Done that.

You might notice the sleeve around the throttle cable looking a little rough. Hung on me once after a long drift on dirt out in the desert last year while playing with some Subaru guys. I had to rip some of the sleeve away to release the cable. That's a scary thing to experience, ya know? :p

grocery_getter

Just to interject some tech content here: Don't forget to dial in the CAS base timing with a timing light. From my experience, the 5deg base timing position on the CAS is NOT when it is centered. When it is centered, CAS base timing is going to be higher than the 5deg that we should be shooting for. How much higher? That depends on how centered you are. You could be running way too much advanced.

ktmrider

^^ I did and you are quite correct, base timing was around 10 degrees with it centered. Once at 5 degrees the CAS was right back to where Driggs had it.

Been chasing a slight stutter under light load and at initial throttle tip-in. After talking with a few folks and logging for a bit I found my Knock Count maxed at 43 when it occurs. If I change the throttle angle it goes away and so does the knock.

I also get max knock when accelerating from a stop and can generate 20+ counts when revving the engine in neutral.

Gonna check and re-torque the KS later tonight and see what happens. BTW I was messing around in the back area last week checking hoses while swapping the shifter bushings, coulda done some damage to the KS wire.

ktmrider

Checked out the KS just now, all the "goo" is gone and I can see the sensor wires. Time for another one!

DR1665

Seriously? All this time, that's what it was? (I don't think I've ever seen one with the "goo" in it, then.)

se7enine

Glad to hear issues are being resolved, i miss having friends who were more knowledgeable about cars than i am. Most of my friends now can't even change the oil or the spark plugs. I spend most of my time reading forums and drinking beer alone when i work on my car, i get more frustrated alone it seems.

ktmrider

Quoting DR1665:
Seriously? All this time, that's what it was? (I don't think I've ever seen one with the "goo" in it, then.)

Yup, well it's at least a good reason. From the archives here is a great pic/thread: click

Found an OEM on Egay for $75 last night. Should be here by Monday or so. Til then no hard boost runs LOL.

DR1665

Crazy. I'd never seen a picture of one in good condition, then. Hope this solves all the problems, brother.

@se7enine - I gotta think there are some DSMers in your neck of the woods. Best advice I can give you is to pick a couple boards and stay active. In time, you'll find some locals.

ktmrider

For grins I filled the KS with some blue sillycone yesterday while waiting for the new one. Most of the knock spikes went away and the ones left over are in the 5-10 range.

I'm in no way condoning this as a repair folks! It could easily dampen or attenuate REAL knock values so only use this for experimental/educational reasons.

DR1665

That's good to know, Mike. As a short term, bandage fix, I like it.

ktmrider

Thx B, like mentioned I'd rather be playing in the garage than sitting in front of the tube.

On that concern about the ECU I'm gonna borrow one locally and see what happens. I helped get #86 back on the road yesterday, it started and idled perfectly after a year on JSB duty. Checked the timing, mark was absolutely SOLID ie no bounce or jumping. Conversely 464 was moving +/-5 degrees. Also got a black top CAS on the way too as per John's suggestion.

ktmrider

Swapped in another ECU from a local DSM buddy. Car immediately ran better, idle control w/AC was perfect. Reset the BISS and checked timing, mark was not jumping around like it was earlier.

Took it for a spin, still getting the big knock counts from a stop ( duh not changed yet ). Felt the stutter/hesitation right away however once the ECU started "learning" it decreased. After 15 minutes of engine and speed cycling the stutter was completely gone. All idle functions were still spot on.

One note, when I pulled the original ECU out I noticed the body to ECU mount was only held up by one bolt ( should have been two, existing one was loose too ). Put another bolt in and attached the ground wire bundle directly to said new bolt. Will install the other ECU again tomorrow to see if it was ground related.

So I may look for another ECU, borrowed one is a non-EEPROM and I want to get a chip or Link soon.

ktmrider

Put another 100 miles on the alternate ECU, everything is running very well including idle control.

Like Driggsy had mentioned to me the original ECU has a BUNCH of what I would describe as paving tar all over the motherboard, most notably around the caps and driver PCB's. I'm sure it's some type of electrical sealant however I'm gonna write it off for parts and the mounting case.

Still trying to decide whether to have 'Link folks convert the extra non-EEPROM one or keep it for future troubleshooing and find an EEPROM local ( there are a few ).

ktmrider

KS came today, installed. High knock counts are now gone, surprise surprise. Old one was minus every bit of gel/goo.

'Link and the 16g turbo are next on my list, probably won't happen til July as I'm headed back to Japan for two weeks starting 6/15.

ktmrider

Quoting DR1665:
Domo.

Arigato gozaimasu! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

ktmrider

Received and installed the black top CAS on Friday. Re-timed the new CAS, mark was rock-solid under the light. Noted an idle change however once the ECU learned up it's running even more solidly.

Side notes, I replaced the front sway bar bushings and PS endlink due to a slight clunk over large bumps. It was really the endlink making noise but figured the bushings wouldn't hurt either.

Also checked the plugs during the stutter troubleshooting, found BD had already installed NGK 7's. Re-gapped them to 0.028" as they were a bit large.

I have everything but the socketed ECU ready to install ( EVO pinks, MAF, adaptor ) but likely won't swap until early July. Japan is calling me back for two weeks so no to low updates either LOL.

ktmrider

Back from Japan and finally located a good socketed ECU. BTW TB I still want a backup so keep that line working!

Installed the EVO MAF, 560cc pinks, and custom EEPROM just now. Success! Runs great, idles spot on, boosts to 15psi with no taper or problems. Gonna let things settle then start cranking up the boost a touch. Here are some pics:

ktmrider

17psi this AM, yummy.

ktmrider

Update, decided to bring 464 back to her roots, ie drive to PHX for a work assignment.

Ran awesome, averaged 25mpg. That drive along 277/260/87 from Holbrook to PHX is one of my all time favs.

Hoping to see a few of the G ride cru this week otherwise should be back in ABQ by Friday.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned