The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

new owner, new engine

BpuVR4

this is a great thread. i just today learned of what happened to a former VR4 of mine (555/2k), and was utterly shocked and deeply sad by how poorly it's been treated before and after a member here. kudos to both ktmrider and dr on keeping a good thing going.

ktmrider

^^ Thx man, I know exactly how you feel. These things are like children sometimes!

Returned to ABQ on Friday. Met up with boosteninaz but Foster and Driggs were scheduled elsewhere. Car ran beautifully!

Went out to check on things Sat morning, someone had rummaged thru the car overnight. Of all the Darwin Award moves they took the faceplate off the stereo but not the head unit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif. DR had tossed the unit in, not the greatest but still worked OK. Normally don't lock the G, hate broken windows more than sifted personals, but will start doing it again once I replace the head unit.

Noticed an oil leak off the timing cover, decided to pull it off and re-seal the oil pump case bolts. Found the center one loose and oozing, sealed/torqued it and the rest of them.

In the mean time I changed the exhaust. Guy who bought #86 wanted a 3" system, I wanted the 2.5" catted, so I ordered a 3" TB and swapped out with him. CMPE came thru, took a bit of time but everything bolted up perfectly. Now both of us are happy!

Next I installed the rear D2 coilovers ( waiting for alignment time from local buddy ). Set them to near max height and initial preload. Monster truckin' baby LOL. Will give them a few weeks to settle then do up everything.

boostedinaz

Looking forward to seeing the car in its new state.

ktmrider

Latest update:

Installed the front D2's, been playing with the dampening and height settings for the last 2 weeks. Not too bad for DD duties, a bit stiff on small stuff but for the massive improvements in handling they're way worth it.

Car's gonna go into hibernation for the next few months, work travel strikes again. In PHX now, SFO from Sun thru 11/19, Japan 11/23 thru 12/22, then SFO again 1/5 thru 2/15. One of the big negatives to being in Japan is NO CAR! Trains, buses, subway, cabs onry.

boostedinaz

Any pics of the new stance?

ktmrider

Here are some I just took, sorry for the glare:

Found the original rear stuff had GR2's with H&R springs. Fronts were Tokico struts with OEM springs.

ktmrider

Had a hiccup earlier this week. Knocking noise from the engine, just found #2 rod bearing spun.

Caught it early, gonna slap some new bearings in and work on rebuilding a local JDM motor. Nothing fancy, at best maybe some 2g pistons.

BTW John, Driggsy, my cell phone is out of commission right now.

Last edited:

ktmrider

Replaced all the rod bearings, #4 was similar to #2 short of spinning.

Buttoned it all up Sunday, started and drove fine til the 20 mile mark. Rod knock is back.

Oh well, time to upgrade the SB and maybe all. Traveling alot thru August so it'll sit til then ( not my DD and no parking restrictions ).

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Root cause idea?

ktmrider

^^ Ice if I had to guess I'd say some potentially questionable oil choices on my end and the amount of time between engine assembly and first start.

In addition the car sits for weeks at a time when I travel so use of light(er) weight oils and drain-off could be pretty rough on bearings. Had a solid 6k miles before the original bearings failed.

Still weighing options on rebuild, easy-button is a SB assembled by one of the local Dizzum cru then a weekend swap in August. Due to the amount of metal running thru the system may just go full LB, $$$ and home boss approval will decide.

DR1665

Oh wow, brother. What a bummer. At least you got a year out of it. Can't help but feel bad about this. I threw new rod bearings in when I lost the original head gasket at something like 220k. (Engine came out of a 90 GS-T which caught fire at 210.) Probably a combination of both of us letting it sit - you in the driveway, me on the stand.

Nice to learn it had decent spring in it, though. A bit more history, I bought from Roger Hull in Prescott (former DSM, now Datsun rallyist). He bought from Brett Norgard in SoCal. I believe Brett is an engineer at Bilstein. 464 had had a rough life, but looks damn good for what it's been through. Totalled twice and autox'd like a mofo back in the day. If 195 proves half as nice, I'll be thrilled.

Subscribing so I don't miss any more updates.

ktmrider

^^ Yup sitting is No Bueno, combine that with the use of 5w oils and "additives" on my end and it's not too far a stretch on bearing failure.

Talked with the home boss last night. Due to my work schedule/travel and financial commitments for the kids' schooling 464 will hibernate until August at a minimum. Ironic story, local DSM buddy bought a JDM motor that had been sitting for 5 years. He did all the front engine stuff but didn't do bearings. He has almost the identical knocking noise. He's gonna give me that motor which will be 464's new heart eventually.

DR1665

All's well that ends well, brother. Maybe you'll find a little time to steal away to a salvage yard in the land of the rising sun and score some nifty goodies to go with your JDM lump. Still sorry to hear the old girl let you down. That's a real bummer.

ktmrider

Here are the rod bearing pics, 4 -> 1 left/right.

Still thinking out the repair, lots of options.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Thanks for the pics, Mike.

It's never good when the register tabs ~diss~a~fawkin~peer~

Think that shell *may* made a lap or two around the big end before it found a spot it liked. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Not *quite* sure what the root cause was, but it definately looks like the oil wedge was broken all the way down a time or two.

Did you have issues with knock/detonation on this engine at some point during it's history with you?

Good news is you guys have a kick-ass crew down there, so I'm sure it will get sorted out better than ever.

Keep us updated, and if you need anything, you know the number. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quoting DR1665:
All's well that ends well, brother. Maybe you'll find a little time to steal away to a salvage yard in the land of the rising sun and score some nifty goodies to go with your JDM lump. Still sorry to hear the old girl let you down. That's a real bummer.

Brian,

sh*t like this just "happens" sometimes.

If there was a real problem, it woulda "popped" way sooner than this.

That motor went quite a few miles, (and knowing Mike, many of them at speed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif )

Short blasts are one thing, but running at speed for long periods of time pushes the oil to the limit ... and occaisionally beyond.

We can all learn from what happened, and I know Mike will step up and build something more matched/suitable for his needs.

... there's a kick ass group of you cats down there, so I'm sure it'll be up and running before summers end.

ktmrider

Thanks John! BTW look for more pics via PM.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Got 'em.

Will catch up with you later this week with some ideas on how to use the parts in a garden sculpture /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ktmrider

Update, got the "donor" motor out from a local DSM buddy tonite.

Plan is to strip it down this weekend and have the block/crank at the machine shop by Monday. If all looks good a motor will emerge and hopefully be swapped in a week or so. Fingers crossed!

ktmrider

Wow what a ride over the last 24 hours.

Got notice from the machine shop, crank had an out-of-round rod journal. After a few discussions about options and costs I posted a FS ad. Couldn't justify spending a bunch of ( family ) money on 464.

Fast forward to this AM. Got a text from the local DSM guru offering a good crank and main bearings for free! Verified it was real then deleted my FS ad.

Hope to get the motor assembled Sat or Sun, will update as it progresses.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned