The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New owner- ?/1k Summit white from Colorado aka 677/1k

highrpm666

No creep at all. I did get quite the jump in boost after putting the exhaust on though. It went up about 3 psi and I had to re adjust my boost controller to get it back down.

coyotes

I have no boost gauge so I don't know if I am creeping or not. My driving is conservative though and I don't go WOT so it is not a problem. Exhaust and FMIC did do a huge improvement in power on my car though, for sure. turbo came after but not that big of a jump at stock boost levels.

highrpm666

Get your self a boost gauge and mbc! I'm sure your around 14-15psi and you may be spiking 18+. A manual boost controller and a boost gauge is a must. If I remember correctly you are running basically stock other than an evo 3 16g, fmic and 3" downpipe and 1g 3" exhaust. Turning that boost back down till you get your fuel system and ecu up to snuff may save your engine from some possible damage even if your not going wot.

Its an old set of articles but definetly a good read. Go to turbomagazine.com and type "galant vr4" into the search bar. Its a good write up on modifying the vr4 and shows gains in stages over multiple articles. It all starts in the first article with the addition of a k&n filter and full 2.5" turbo-back. The gains are very impressive and it goes on from there. Not limited to but including the 16g as the first turbo upgrade. They also describe the boost level increase from the bolt ons when using the stock bcs.

coyotes

I have a logger, injectors don't see more than 75% duty cycle at WOT, my ECU is pulling fuel in mid and high range RPMs.. only ever seen 1 count of knock at most through the MMCD logger. I think I'm ok.

But I am buying parts to be in better control over my fuel system, yes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

highrpm666

^That sounds pretty good. How has the mmcd logger worked for you? I've been curious about this. Seems to be a few style cables/supported devices available also, which are you using?

highrpm666

Picked up a used transmission yesterday. Its a Jdm box "C5OPH FG0108" switchable 2wd/4wd 22 spline 3.545FD. Its said to shift like butter. Came from 554/1000 to the best of my knowledge. I havent been able to track it any further back than that.

Hoping to swap it in very soon. Gotta pick up some new axle seals and clean it up a bit more. I plan on picking up the matching transfer case too otherwise I will be swapping out the 22 for my 23 spline shaft if possible. Hoping this will be a good temporary solution to my synchro blues!

And my fans quit working. Havent been able to properly diagnose the issue yet. Only way they will work is if I jump the blue wire on the back of the thermostat housing to ground. I get nothing but relay clicks when I jump the fan switch on the radiator and cant seem to figure it out. hoping to dig into this when I pull the trans.

And the isc went bad. Pretty sure the ecu is damaged. Bummer. Still idles great though once warm? One coil on the isc has very high resistance.

highrpm666

Progress report:

I've put 5100 miles on her now. It runs like a charm. Fixed my hot start issue by replacing injector #3. Starts up and runs fine every time!

Replaced the transmission today with the jdm switchable box I picked up. Shifts great now. Had to put my 23 spline output shaft from my usdm trans in. Worked out very well. I also replaced both axle seals and the output shaft seal. This time around I used 75-90 valvoline gl4. It's just amazing to be able to up and downshift without grinds, lockouts etc.

Put new tires on her a few weeks ago. Went up to a 205/60/15. They are Sumic gt60's. Cheap tires. Paid $181. Good bang for the buck I suppose. They do seem to follow grooved concrete badly but otherwise they have been great.

My orange dash light randomly quit working. I haven't really looked into the cause but it's on my to do list now.

Picked up ecmlink v3 with a tel ecu and cable. It appears to be brand new and never used. Ecu is freshly recapped and socketed by ecmlink. I'm going to pick up an Innovative lc2 wideband setup and get link installed asap. Gotta replace my ISC still too. I cannot wait to learn how to tune. Got a couple gearhead buddies here in town, 559/2000 and 1309/2000 who are going to help me learn the ins and outs of link.

I've been having loads of fun in the snow recently. I absolutely love this car in bad weather. It's a friggin drift tractor. It reminds me of my '05 sti but with much more traction on ice and snow. It's a donut machine for sure! Very predictable and it's easy to be a snow parking lot Ken Block.

All in all its hands down the best car I've ever owned. Love everything about it! More updates coming soon.

highrpm666

Wideband and Ecmlink v3 installed as of tonight. spent he better part of the evening with the install. got her partially tuned and drivable. Going to work on the tune some more and attempt to milk some more power out of her tomorrow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

next day edit: Got the tune setup pretty well today. She is now running 15psi and everything is looking great in link. It runs a million times better than before with a very noticeable power gain. the exhaust note is much healthier sounding as well. Very happy with the results. A big thanks to the owner of 559/2000 for help with the tune and install!

Last edited:

highrpm666

Today is the one year anniversary of owning my vr4. I've put 7000 miles on her now. Runs great other than a new deceleration vibration thats been happening intermittently for the last 1000 or so miles. Still haven't put the car on the lift to see what's going on as I've been waiting for it to get worse so it will be obvious when I got to diagnose the issue. Only happens when decelerating in 4th between 45 and 30 mph And it feels to be coming from the rear end. It started after I cleaned about 200lbs of crap out of my trunk.

I'm ordering her an anniversary gift today... evo maf, 660cc injectors and a fuel pump! Next up is a fmic!

I tried to upload some pics but the uploader isn't working for me today. I'll try again later.

highrpm666

Someone tried to steal 677 last night. They ruined my drivers lock cylinder trying to pick the lock. They were very careful not to damage anything but the lock cylinder thankfully. Now my key won't go in more than about an inch and it won't unlock or lock from the drivers side. Passenger side was untouched. Got a new lock cylinder ordered from the dealer. $36. It just makes me furious that someone tried to take her. Tonight I'm getting a 12 pack and a lawn chair and I'm gonna sit and watch, rifle in hand /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

G

Staff member
How about an aftermarket alarm?

G

Staff member
I like the encore alarms.

highrpm666

I put her on the lift yesterday and found my second u-joint at the first carrier loose. I'm going to replace the one and go from there. My driveshaft was completely rebuilt right before I bought the car. Still has a shiny sticker from the driveline shop that did the work. Can't believe I've already got a bad u joint. I really hope that it's the source of the vibration. My carrier bearings look and feel to be ok But I may replace them anyway just to eliminate them as a potential cause.

transparentdsm

Well if the shop didn't use oem parts, like JNZ, the u-joints will be thinner and weaker. Also the carrier bearings rubber will fall apart faster then OEM ones.

highrpm666

Haven't had a chance to update in a while.. I have put just over 10,000 miles on her now. Been running very good with no issues other than the drive shaft vibration and a few minor things. I still plan on rebuilding the drive shaft soon but since my shop has been so busy I haven't got any bay time to do so. I will probably wait till we slow down and yank the drive shaft out for some new goodies.

I have been collecting parts for the car since my last update. So far I've picked up...
3g lifters
A used drivers side auto seatbelt assembly
A used master window switch - Installed already
New OE radiator hoses
399 maf with Blox filter and adapter harness
Denso 660cc injectors
Evo 9 fuel pump
Hood strut kit- installed already
New BC BR coilovers
27x7x2.5 FMIC

Should have the coilovers installed and the car re aligned tomorrow. I'm hoping to get the MAF, injectors and fuel pump in very soon and get it tuned again. Then I will be taking it to a local Tig guy when I have a chance to have custom charge pipes made and the intercooler installed with another tune as well.

I've got to meet quite a few gvr4 owners here in Denver and we have a nice little group of running and daily driven galants. From 600whp beasts all the way down to my nearly stock DD. Its pretty neat having this many people around driving gvr4's

And the pics!

Last edited:

highrpm666

Tried to post a bunch more really good pics but the image up-loader isn't working after the first two. not sure whats up with that.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned