The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New owner- ?/1k Summit white from Colorado aka 677/1k

highrpm666

Got to spend the day working on the Galant. Replaced the front wheel bearings and dust seals, inner and outer tie rods and filled up my transmission with some Pennzoil synchromesh. Bled the clutch and adjusted the pedal rod too. Adjusted my lower timing cover a bit to minimize the rubbing also. I have a brand new lower cover on the way from jnz along with hardware to be safe. And then the best thing ever happened, I started the car and it went into gear. All of them infact. I then pulled the car out of the shop under its own power and proceeded to put about ten miles of slow driving on it. It was amazing and I still cannot wipe the grin off of my face. Its alive!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Then things went south. I parked it and lifted it back up to check for leaks or anything out of the ordinary and found nothing. Tight and dry. I let it cool off a bit as all the new gaskets were smoking off pretty good and then started it again for another quick drive and it was misfiring badly and the cel came on. I immedietly pulled the upper timing cover and put her at tdc, all good there. Found a freshly broken wire to my fan switch and one of the temp sensors. Repaired the wires and still it was running poorly. I pulled all of the plugs and found one to be way over gapped. Like .070 or so and the others were about .040. Put them all to .028-ish and went over all connections under the hood using the wiggle method. Now it runs good again? I never read the flash codes, just cleared the ecu so I'm unsure what was causing the problem. Hopefully she is OK now.

So second gear does feel notchy and grinds ever so slightly.. Bummer. And it feels low on power, I think it would barely beat my 95 accord. What power it does have comes on very smoothly though. Going to check compression again and pressure test my charge pipes too. I figured a b16g on a stock car would be kinda quick.. Not so much. I didn't rev it over 4 grand and I'm guessing that's where the 16g gets happy, gotta get this clutch broken in nicely first and then I'll romp on it. Maybe its just my imagination and its got power up high. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

coyotes

Maybe it has some old gas in it? Do you have a boost gauge to verify it's making boost? Perhaps there is a restriction in the system somewhere that is robbing power? How does it idle, maybe boost leaks causing issues?

highrpm666

As a matter of fact it does have old 85 octane in it, I don't think the previous owner gave 2 craps about what fuel he used. I do have a brand new boost gauge, not installed yet. It idles great once warm for having no idle control systems hooked up at all. I was really just nervous about getting into the throttle since it has so many new parts installed and un tested. I think maybe the stock exhaust is just too restrictive to let the 16g spool below 4 grand? Once I get a bit more comfortable driving it I will report back about the power situation. I'm actually very nervous about making a pull to redline even once the clutch is broken in. I don't know how lean its going to run with a 16g on an otherwise bone stock car.

Last edited:

highrpm666

Figured the power issue out. I connected my new boost gauge and I was only reading 6.5 psi. Looked over my vacuum routing again and realized that I had the bcs line and j pipe lines mixed up. Got everything connected and routed properly and now I make 11.5ish psi at about 3400-3600? rpm. Its how the lines were routed when I got the car and I just put them back that way without looking at the underhood diagram closely when I was re assembling everything. Oops /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Now it runs like a champ, much quicker than I expected! Its hard to resist and stay out of boost for the new clutch's sake! Drives very smoothly and the boost comes on like a charm. All the numerous old magazine articles and test drives write ups I've read have now come to life. What a great feeling car all around. I'm now very glad I decided on a vr4 instead of a 2.2 turbo legacy or dsm!

She is nearly ready to take on temporary daily driver duty. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

cab222

Kirk the car looks great and it pulls strong for only a b16g. Very thorough work. Everything 100 percent done correct which is nice to see because a lot of these cars I have seen people just half heartedly put things together. This will be the smoothest nicest Japanese car you will ever own. Nice buy and nice work once again.

Wookalar

Quoting highrpm666:
Figured the power issue out. I connected my new boost gauge and I was only reading 6.5 psi. Looked over my vacuum routing again and realized that I had the bcs line and j pipe lines mixed up. Got everything connected and routed properly and now I make 11.5ish psi at about 3400-3600? rpm. Its how the lines were routed when I got the car and I just put them back that way without looking at the underhood diagram closely when I was re assembling everything. Oops /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Now it runs like a champ, much quicker than I expected! Its hard to resist and stay out of boost for the new clutch's sake! Drives very smoothly and the boost comes on like a charm. All the numerous old magazine articles and test drives write ups I've read have now come to life. What a great feeling car all around. I'm now very glad I decided on a vr4 instead of a 2.2 turbo legacy or dsm!

She is nearly ready to take on temporary daily driver duty. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Glad you are getting her sorted out, that chassis looks pretty clean. Any rust in the rockers? Or bottom of the doors?

You never mentioned if you got the water pipe leak fixed but it's just a rubber o-ring holding it in with a 12 or 14mm securing it to the front of the block. You likely got it since you did the water pump and are obviously capable of working on cars.

I was going to say to check vacuum lines cause you should definitely notice a difference with that 16g. If the vacuum lines are old and crusty I would recommend replacing them.

Honestly, the next best upgrades you could do to really notice a gain are a 3" exhaust, rewired walbro fuel pump, and ecmtuning/dsmlink. Then source a cheap fuel pressure regulator and do some tuning. The car will scoot if tuned properly, especially if you throw some 550 injectors in there. But at that point you will want a larger upper IC pipe. And then a larger FMIC. And then a ...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I ran a b16g back in the day with aforementioned mods (minus a FMIC but add a safc) and it made for some good power. If only I had ecmlink back then!

Good job so far.

Last edited:

highrpm666

Quoting cab222:
Kirk the car looks great and it pulls strong for only a b16g. Very thorough work. Everything 100 percent done correct which is nice to see because a lot of these cars I have seen people just half heartedly put things together. This will be the smoothest nicest Japanese car you will ever own. Nice buy and nice work once again.

Thanks for the kind words Chad! I still have a lot of work to do before its up to my standards! And a big thanks again for the dash badge, 677 lives again! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Last edited:

highrpm666

Quoting Wookalar:
Quoting highrpm666:

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Glad you are getting her sorted out, that chassis looks pretty clean. Any rust in the rockers? Or bottom of the doors?

You never mentioned if you got the water pipe leak fixed but it's just a rubber o-ring holding it in with a 12 or 14mm securing it to the front of the block. You likely got it since you did the water pump and are obviously capable of working on cars.

I was going to say to check vacuum lines cause you should definitely notice a difference with that 16g. If the vacuum lines are old and crusty I would recommend replacing them.

Honestly, the next best upgrades you could do to really notice a gain are a 3" exhaust, rewired walbro fuel pump, and ecmtuning/dsmlink. Then source a cheap fuel pressure regulator and do some tuning. The car will scoot if tuned properly, especially if you throw some 550 injectors in there. But at that point you will want a larger upper IC pipe. And then a larger FMIC. And then a ...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I ran a b16g back in the day with aforementioned mods (minus a FMIC but add a safc) and it made for some good power. If only I had ecmlink back then!

Good job so far.

Hi and thanks! She has been quite the project so far. As for the rust I haven't found anything but the battery tray and a small area underneath it but its all surface rust. There is a very small area on each pinchweld under the rear bumper that I plan to fix asap, its just surface rust at the moment and its difficult to notice. I haven't pulled the front fenders to see the situation there. Im guessing its minimal. Nothing on the rockers/doors whatsoever. It is fairly clean inside and out. It has a few door dings and imperfections you cannot see in the pictures though. The ancient tinting is very ugly too.

Yes I did get the waterpipe sealed. It seems that I've gotten all of the leaks patched up proper. Ive put 130 or so miles on it since I got her running and its clean and dry still.

And thanks for the upgrade advice. Im considering a path very similar to that to start things off. I want a reliable moderately quick car, nothing crazy and total sleeper status. Its going to take me a while to get it completely reliable before I start buying any upgraded parts or doing any mods so I've got time to do my research and make a potent combo of bolt ons etc.

Welcome.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wookalar

Right on man, keep up the good work.

paul j

Welcome. I am hoping to get started on 1551 shortly, if the weather cooperates. I also need to replace some wires that have the connectors off. I need to find some green/blue stripe, yellow/green stripe, green/red stripe, light blue, for areas by the thermostat. Do you know of a source? It appears you work at a Firestone by a Midas. I grew up in Englewood.

highrpm666

Hi, I dont really have a source for color coded wire. Ive just been using random colored bulk for my repairs. Though you could try EBay to find the proper color rolls.

I actually work for Midas very near a firestone on west colfax. I grew up in Morrison.

Best of luck getting 1551 running again, I would love to see it! Maybe a denver area meet should be in the works for this summer. Try and get some vr4's together for some pictures and a cruise of sorts. Seems to be quite a few around in running condition. Personally I've only seen 4 vr4's in my life and I own one of them but, I see lots of people from Colorado on the board.

Last edited:

holeshotmoe

Quoting MRmeeTooxD:
put a blade through that old steering wheel an you would be able to use inner rubber steering wheel.. 365/1000

^^^ Yes, carefully slice that old leather skin off and underneath you'll find a leather textured rubber wheel. Nice work on the car too. Take your boss for a ride and maybe he'll help you with the rest of the work needed, or at least give you more time on the lift /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

highrpm666

^^ Thanks man! I'm just replacing my steering wheel when it comes time. Right now its pretty far out on my to do list. And I've already taken my boss for a ride. He is a car nut like me and loves Vr4s too but he is a Toyota guy. Anyway I get all the bay time I need really. Its a pretty good gig.

Update:
Yesterday I was headed home from work and decided to make a very aggressive run up to speed getting on the highway. It was the first time I ran it up to near redline through two gears and it was awesome! I had a huge grin till I hit about 80-85 and my entire right side windshield trim and corner piece came flying off like a chunk of the space shuttle on re-entry. It came flying off so quick it took me a second to realize what it was. I didn't have a chance to stop and grab it either.

So today after work I stopped on the side of the highway and walked back and forth like an idiot looking for my trim... I found it a few minutes later in a twisted mess, completely ruined. Corner piece was nowhere to be found. So sad. So it now looks like I'm in the market for some windshield trim and corner pieces! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Last edited:

highrpm666

Put the galant in the IDRC drags/tuner mayhem car show at Bandimere speedway today! She was washed, clay barred, polished and waxed for the show. She got a lot of attention.

The show was pretty cool other than the rain. I didn't stick around for the awards show as I wasn't expecting to win anything. I had the only galant vr4 in the show but, 559/2000 was there racing. I had a great time and got to see some cool old evo's and a few other very cool cars.

Edit: I also removed the pinstripes! And I've put 710 miles on the car now, I drive it to work about 3 days a week. She is still giving me hot start problems and I now think I have a failing Maf/iat. Im hoping to try another used maf soon and see if the problem persists.

Last edited:

highrpm666

So the Colorado weather has claimed another victim. 677 was hit by golf ball sized hail last Saturday afternoon. No glass was broken miraculously but, the damage to the roof, hood and trunk are plenty enough for the insurance company to consider it totalled.

It happened at my apartment while I was at work 22 miles away. There was absolutely nothing I could do. My girlfriend watched it get pummeled while I had the only keys in my pocket across town. I think I died a little on the inside when I arrived home 3 agonizing hours later to examine the damage.

Figures, just my luck really. Atleast it wasn't stolen or crashed though. I just spent 10+ hours washing, claybarring, polishing and waxing it for the car show. It looked so good and now it looks like crap.

Ill snap a few pictures tomorrow and post em up. Because of the spot it was parked in it actually didn't get nearly as much damage as the vehicles around it. It was parked in a single isolated spot in between two reserved covered parking areas. Basically the sides of the car were shielded and a small gap between the two roofs let hail hit the roof, truck and hood only. The a,b,c pillars didn't get any very noticeable pings but they are there. The roof looks the worst and the trunk is pretty bad, the hood is pretty thrashed. Hood was going to be replaced anyway do to being bent slighty at the hinges from coming open while driving with the previous owner. The front and rear quarters and doors look good except for a few lil dings from ricochet.

So so sad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Yao

so sorry to hear about that, I remembered 15 years ago when I was on I225 heading south and saw a SHEET of rain/hails right in front of me and all the cars are stopped under the bridge to take refuge and blocked traffic, so I think fast and exited right before the sheet of Hails that is Ping-Pong ball sized!! I made turns and head for the nearest apt, cover and dodged the bullet right when I pulled into someone else's cover!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned