The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New owner- ?/1k Summit white from Colorado aka 677/1k

highrpm666

^ funny u should mention that car. I tried to contact him about 10 times when I was looking for a vr4. He never responded at all. I think the add is a scam of some sort. He adjusts the price every once in a while but will absolutely not respond. I even found it on another website and messaged him there. No response. Its been posted for sale for about 5 months. If he would have just called me back I would own that car instead of my current vr4.

Anyways I am keeping mine. Ive put too much time into it to let it go. Im only getting a quote to repair the roof and trunk from the body shop. Im going to try and find a EVO/RS hood soon. I may even just blow the entire insurance check on the drivetrain. I sure could use a tranny and a 4 bolt rear end!

Last edited:

highrpm666

These pics dont make it look very bad. Its much worse in person.

Here is some of the hail. This had been melting for 3 or so hours when I picked it up and stuck it in the freezer.

Last edited:

BpuVR4

Quoting highrpm666:

uhh so how do you guys have these gorgeous Evos in CO- my all time favs? is this a new thing now?

G

Staff member
That sucks man. It happened to me once driving across the country. Luckily I came to an underpass right away and was able to stop until the storm passed. You can get it fixed but you have to research a good dent removal guy. Good meaning someone who does not destroy the inside of the vehicle with excessive drilling of holes etc..............

Just saw this thread. Sorry about the hail damage. I don't know if your going to fix it, but if you do ck the injectors. If you have a RS JDM engine it might have the yellow top 510 injectors installed. That would also indicate it probably has a big 16g turbo.

snailspool

Sad to hear, I imagine you plan to r and r the hood and trunk, and have the roof fixed?

highrpm666

Thanks guys, that hail damage really sucked. Its no biggie though, getting this thing looking pretty is now on the back burner unfortunately. Im still very happy with the car regardless of the multiple dings. Its still gourgous in my eyes.

So I have put 1685 miles on it now and its doing great other than a few small issues. I finally figured out my hot start issue. It ended up being injector #3. I have figured out that if I unplug/reconnect the injector a few times on a hot start it will start pulsing properly and I can get where I need to go.

My rear rotors have such a large wear lip on them that it now makes a constant very light yet annoying ringing noise. It drives me nuts and I'm going to replace all the pads and rotors asap.

I have now installed a lower shores mbc and have it set a 12 psi. I also simplified the vacuum routing and hose lengths and re connected all of the pcv/crank case ventilation hoses in the proper factory manor. I now make full boost a few hundred rpms sooner and it just feels more responsive overall.

I have installed a new used maf I picked up locally. Its a 1g tel maf that's had the lower honeycomb removed and silencer taken off. My original maf was hacked in the same style but caused an IAT code. I actually didn't even realize that my maf was modified until I was swapping it out for the new one.

I made a custom ring to eliminate my aircan out of the 1g aircan I acquired. It holds the k&n filter snug against the original vr4 maf/aircan pretty well and I now have what I like to refer to as my super awesome speed whistle noises. You can hear the turbo and bov very well even when just cruising around barely getting into boost. It makes me smile every time it goes pshhh!

Im going to pick up some 550 or larger injectors, install a rewired walbro 255, fpr, 2g maf/pigtail, and get a linkv3 chip/cable as soon as I can. Then I will make myself a custom 3" catted exhaust and get an aftermarket downpipe and make a custom fmic shortly thereafter. Hoping to tune 250whp out of her and then start pondering my clutch and drivetrain mods.

I still have to tend to a few maintenance items. Gotta replace the brakes, brake lines, brake master, rad hoses and heater core hoses, fuel filler hose, harmonic balancer, ps belt and fluid, windshield, filter housing gasket, sway bar end links, rear wheel bearings, struts/springs/tophats and last but not least... the tranny with either a used unit for the time being or go ahead and drive mine down the road to Jack's for a stage 1 rebuild when funds allow.

here's for the people who only look at these threads for the pics. .. enjoy!

Still beautiful with hail damage!

GSTwithPSI

Looking good, man. Hit under the hood with some rags and a little simple green to clean it up and it will really pop.

The car still looks good IMO. Keep up the good work.

highrpm666

Picked up this stainless 2.5" downpipe and 2.5" exhaust from an org member locally today. Its made for a VR4. Its in pretty good shape and I got a killer deal. Couldn't pass it up. I had to cut it in half to get it home.

Can't wait to bolt it up!

highrpm666

Got my new exhaust installed last week. Had to replace the flex pipe as it was leaking a bit when I applied compressed air to the downpipe. The entire system hung under the vehicle perfectly but, the tip sticks out a bit more than I would like. Im going to shorten it when I get some spare time at the shop.

It sounds so good now. Not to mention it picked up some noticeable power. I immediately had to crank the boost down because it jumped almost 3 psi. It now spikes 13 no matter what and then almost instantly goes back to 10 psi. Im trying to play it safe and keep the boost low till I get the fuel pump in and rewired, 2g maf, injectors and link. Ive just been driving it as nicely as I can back and forth to work, with the occasional wot moment.

Today she is getting a new windshield around noon. I cannot wait! Driving this car with all the cracks is ridiculous. Ive just been waiting to get pulled over and ticketed. The current windshield looks so terrible you could almost push it in to the cabin by hand. Also I will be getting new windshield trim today. Just universal rubber stuff. I hope it looks alright.

coyotes

coming along nicely. I definitely noticed some power pickup when I did my turboback exhaust as well. definitely worth it, you'll pick up at least that much if not more with a proper FMIC setup.

I lived in Colorado for 8 years, everyone has a cracked windshield. I don't think you have to worry about it too much. To me it's more weird if you live in colorado and your windshield doesn't have a crack on it somewhere. just too many crazy temperature variances for the glass to handle down there.

highrpm666

Cracked windshields are very common here unfortunately. When I hop into customers vehicles at my shop about 75% of them are cracked up pretty badly. Hopefully this one lasts me a while.

The new trim looks pretty good to me. I may have this done to the rear window also.

Now I need to pull my wiper arms and cowel piece off for some fresh paint!

I also got myself a baggy full of fresh oe windshield trims clips. Since he used aftermarket trim he didnt use them and just gave them to me.

highrpm666

New JNZ braided brake lines arrived along with a gauge cup so I can permanently mount my boost gauge!

I have put 3000 miles on her now. Changed the oil over to Mobil 1 10w/40 fully synthetic high mileage with a can of BG MOA also.

The lifters have started making noise on cold starts within the last 1000 miles. Kinda annoying. Im now considering replacement options. Everyone seems to recommend the 3g lifters so I will probably end up buying a set when funds allow.

The trans seems to be shifting worse and worse every day although, it shifts great when cold or for about the first five miles of my drive to work everyday. Once the trans is warm it starts grinding into second and third. I cannot downshift into second or third without coming to almost a complete stop. Im getting pretty good at double clutching and synching gears. I can almost make it 22 miles to work without a single grind if I play nicely with the gearbox. A trans rebuild or used trans is my next priority.

highrpm666

^ Wishful thinking! I have twice since installing the new clutch/pivot ball+shim/fork. Same exact issue with zero change.

My clutch engagement point is good. I can shift between all gears running with the car stopped hot or cold. No drag and no reverse clunks. My slave is extending fully hot or cold. Clutch fork rests in proper position. Master and slave are both new oem parts and properly bled. Clutch pedal assembly seems good, I think its been rebuilt.

The only parts that arent brand new are the trans/synchros, clutch line, and possibly the pedal assembly.

The tranny has been through hell with the previous owner. He drove it with improper rod adjustment and a flyhweel that had been cut too many times without a pivot ball shim for far too long and trashed it. Unfortunately he and his "mechanic" had very little knowledge. He just kept forcing it into gear for who knows how many miles. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

highrpm666

Ya know it really does keep me from driving the car hard though. Its a good reminder to not go WOT untuned with no supporting mods on this 16g when it grinds /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Last edited:

coyotes

Why not? My research has shown that the stock fuel system can handle a 16g at stock boost levels.

highrpm666

I still do some WOT pulls in 3rd and 4th occasionally. Its impossible not to. It just runs and sounds so good! This is currently my only car so I gotta make sure it stays running for now! If she blew up I would be screwed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned