The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

new from rochester ny!!!!

hi, my name is will i finally bought a vr4 a couple months ago. been this forum since i bought 1343, picked her up for 1k. what a sweet deal huh??? she has 160k on the motor and body but no rust except on the front lip of the hood. im lookin to make this car 250-300 hp Daily driver. my questions are what should be replaced since im a noob when it comes down to a turbo vehicle?? it is all stock i only added a boost gauge and a boost controller i wanna run more power in this car. in the future i wanna do a 2.3 stroker but for now i wanna maintain what i have. plz guys feel free to lead me to other threads or sites.and ooo i will use the search button dont worry.the abs dont work and neither does the 4ws. and im having trouble with the starter, the starter tested out fine but when i turned the key it does nothing what could it be??? and lastly, my check engine came on when i first took the sarter out. i made sure everything was connected i dont know what it could be. so im just pop startin my car untill i figure out what is wrong. the owner before me didnt know a thing about this carim just glad she is in the rite hands now.i forgot she smokes when i let the car idle under the exhaust manifold and when i drive off blue/white smoke come out, i was told it was my vavle seals that is going bad but im thing my turbo is since it has 160k on it, which is it does anyone know??? i have a buddy who is gunna give me a 2g head i know it will fit but do i have to machine the block or can i just clean the deck and check to see if it flat and slap the a new head gasket and the head on and be ok???? thanks for ur help i appreciate it alot and im ready to take in as much info as possible

turbowop

Dude. Paragraphs.

Holy sh*t. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I'm betting that your valve seals are causing the idle smoke show and not the turbo.

Check engine light has nothing to do with the starter.

Start reading...

sorry about the long paragraph. i kno the check engine light has nothing to do with the starter just seeing if anyone has the same problem im having /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

turbowop

Since you're just starting out, I'm gonna have to say you should stick with your 1g head. If you wanna pull it off to get it freshened up and have new seals installed along with a better headgasket and headstuds, go ahead. I wouldn't open up any can of worms like installing a 2g head and everything that goes along with it, like machining out the stud holes, having to use a 2g intake manifold, etc. Stick with simple stuff for now, since you're new, and work up from there. Just get the car up and running like it should be first.

i kinda figured that using 2g head would be a hassle. im a member of rochester DSM already, would it be ok to get a starion intercooler and new piping i just seen one on craigslist for 25 bux being that my car has 160k on it???

fivestardsm

Quoting jdmvr4:
Hello, my name is Will. I finally bought a vr4 a couple months ago. I have been on this forum since I bought 1343, which I bought for $1k. What a sweet deal, wouldn't you agree? She has 160k on the motor and body but no rust, except on the front lip of the hood.

Im lookin to make this car 250-300 hp Daily driver. My questions are, what should be replaced since im a noob when it comes down to a turbo vehicle? It is all stock, I only added a boost gauge and a boost controller. I would like to run more power in this car. My goals for the future would be to do a 2.3 stroker, but for now I would like to maintain what I have.

Please guys, feel free to lead me to other threads or sites that would be helpfull.Just so you know, I am trying to become familiar with the search engine on this forum, so don't worry, I will only ask questions that have not been asked and answered thousands of times!

As for the car, the abs dose not work, and neither does the 4ws. Also, I am having trouble with the starter. The starter tested out fine when checked, but when I turn the key, it does nothing. What do you think the problem could be? Lastly, my check engine light came on when I first took the sarter out. I made sure everything was connected, but I dont know what could cause this. So for now, I am just pop startin my car until I figure out what is wrong.

As for the previous owner, he didnt know a thing about the potential of this rare car. I am just glad she is in the right hands now.

Also, I forgot to mention that the car smokes from under the exhaust manifold when I let the engine idle, and when I drive off, blue/white smoke comes out. I was told that it was my vavle seals that are going bad, but I am thinking my turbo is also bad since it has 160k on it. Which would be the more likely reason? I do have a buddy who is willing to give me a 2g head for replacement which I know will fit, but do I have to machine the block, or can i just clean the deck and check to make sure it is flat. I was hopeing I would just beable to replace the head gasket and the head on and be ok. Any comments on this?

I would like to say thanks for your help in advance, and that I appreciate it alot and im ready to take in as much info as possible

Fixed, well cleaned up a little. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hello, my name is Will. I finally bought a vr4 a couple months ago. I have been on this forum since I bought 1343, which I bought for $1k. What a sweet deal, wouldn't you agree? She has 160k on the motor and body but no rust, except on the front lip of the hood.

Im lookin to make this car 250-300 hp Daily driver. My questions are, what should be replaced since im a noob when it comes down to a turbo vehicle? It is all stock, I only added a boost gauge and a boost controller. I would like to run more power in this car. My goals for the future would be to do a 2.3 stroker, but for now I would like to maintain what I have.

Please guys, feel free to lead me to other threads or sites that would be helpfull.Just so you know, I am trying to become familiar with the search engine on this forum, so don't worry, I will only ask questions that have not been asked and answered thousands of times!

As for the car, the abs dose not work, and neither does the 4ws. Also, I am having trouble with the starter. The starter tested out fine when checked, but when I turn the key, it does nothing. What do you think the problem could be? Lastly, my check engine light came on when I first took the sarter out. I made sure everything was connected, but I dont know what could cause this. So for now, I am just pop startin my car until I figure out what is wrong.

As for the previous owner, he didnt know a thing about the potential of this rare car. I am just glad she is in the right hands now.

Also, I forgot to mention that the car smokes from under the exhaust manifold when I let the engine idle, and when I drive off, blue/white smoke comes out. I was told that it was my vavle seals that are going bad, but I am thinking my turbo is also bad since it has 160k on it. Which would be the more likely reason? I do have a buddy who is willing to give me a 2g head for replacement which I know will fit, but do I have to machine the block, or can i just clean the deck and check to make sure it is flat. I was hopeing I would just beable to replace the head gasket and the head on and be ok. Any comments on this?

I would like to say thanks for your help in advance, and that I appreciate it alot! I am ready to take in as much info as possible

BTW, welcome to the boards Will! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

curtis

^you need to start following me around and fix my spelling mistakes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Welcome aboard Will watch out there's a guy up there that has a problem with corners and likes putting is G ride in the wet. Some say he even wears a skirt afterward /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

fivestardsm

Quoting curtis:
^you need to start following me around and fix my spelling mistakes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Welcome aboard Will watch out there's a guy up there that has a problem with corners and likes putting is G ride in the wet. Some say he even wears a skirt afterward /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just to clear that statement up.. Onelap

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

bmxkid415

There are a great handful of people from Rochester, Just not many on here. Will, if you would like a hand or any let me know.

I am on here daily, Just don't post often. More into reading and reading to find new and interesting things.

curtis

I put the statement above trying to pry a response out of Tim. Him and Steven lurk here in the shadows.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned