The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Starter question?

GVR41380

when i turn the key to start the motor dosent sound too good, i hear 2-3 hard clunking sounds coming from the starter it sounds like. i checked my starter bolts and their on there nice and tight, the starter dosent jiggle at all its on there pretty good, dose this sound like my starter is starting to go bad or could i possibly have a missing tooth on the starter??? any help would be great.

so i changed my starter and the teeth on the starter were worn and all shiny where the flywheel connects to the starers teeth. when i went to start my galant it starter a little smoother then befor but im still hearing this bad noise sounds like my flywheel or somthing..... i need help and opinions on what i should do...

holeshotmoe

Only a couple bolts, pull the starter and stick a small mirror back there and with some light you can see the flywheel teeth. Make sure you're in neutral (and all that safety stuff) and rotate the engine (1/2" drive ratchet/extension in front pulley bolt, clockwise) bit-by-bit to inspect the full circumference of it. Did the noise start suddenly or gradually get worse? Any hint of these sounds after it starts? Clutch and shift operations normal?

Gmoney1983

Isn't there also an inspection plate on the bottom of the trans? Should be easier than pulling the starter.

GVR41380

here what my starter looked like i put in a new one and still makes the noise, i havent looked at the flywheel yet, but i just picked up a used OEM Flywheel, i dont have an inspection plate on my trans so im going to look at the flywheel aanother day, and the noise just came out of nowhere one day it was fine then one day i heard the noise and now it makes the same noise every time i start my car...
img.php

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned