The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

smoke from exhaut

supersedan63

whats up fellas. so ive got an issue with my vr4. no matter what speed im at or how much im boosting, when i get off the gas to shift and get back on the gas i get a decent puff of white smoke and a harsh smell. this doesnt happen when i get off the gas to coast but only when i press the clutch and then back on the gas. im thinking the turbo on its way out but im seeing different possibilities with every search i do. any ideas?

coyotes

Does it smoke at idle? Do you have to add oil or coolant? What does it smell like?

manikbastrd

Oil is blue(and burnt oily smelling), coolant is white (and sweet smelling), and fuel is black (and smells like fuel).

prove_it

Quoting manikbastrd:
Oil is blue(and burnt oily smelling), coolant is white (and sweet smelling), and fuel is black (and smells like fuel).

True, but...
You can get white oil smoke too. I see this happen when the oil drain leaks onto the exhaust, then under load the exhaust gets hot and smoulders the oil. Then the passing air will carry the white smoke to the back and look like coolant. If oil is being burnt in the chamber then it will be blue.

Not the OP's issue, but just throwing it out there.

tek_88

Possibly your turbo seal going bad. Same thing is happening to one of my car right now and it was the turbo.

MellowVR4

have someone outside and tell you what color is blowing out while you pull of or get under boost.

supersedan63

no difference taking off from dead stop and im positive the smoke is white. like i said im pretty sure the turbo is on its way out but i wanted to see if anyone else has an idea

gvr4ever

I've seen a clogged PVC valve cause a smokey exhaust before. I'd think a failing turbo would be worse under boost. I was thinking worn valve stem seals (very common on a higher mileage 4g63), but oil leaks by when sitting and leaves a nice cloud when taking off, but maybe a more minor problem wouldn't do that. Does your turbo have shaft play?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned