The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How rare is a galant vr-4

NDVR4

Ha no need for a hurt feelings report here! Yea the more I drive the car the more I enjoy it, going to be tearing into it on monday to do some maintenance to it. Then it will be onto more maintenance, then trying to figure out some of the crazy noises it makes. Overall for a 20y/o completely stock car it has yet to let me down so I am impressed.

donkeylips

There were a whole lot made, but I don't have any numbers handy...you can check Japan ASA and see how high the chassis numbers go. I think someone on here had a Japanese parts manual that listed all of the production runs. I think you can find the exact number (at least for the JDM) pretty easily.
-Leads me to another question. How many markets were the VR4s sold in? Japan, US, Australia...was that it? The rest just imported the JDM cars?

Now the E38A is really rare I believe. I think there were less than 4,000 worldwide.

I'm about to scrap a couple E39As so that will be two less in the world. I'm sure nobody would volunteer to save them. So many of the cars have hacked up and rusty bodies.

And think of it this way. If you have a KG car for example, you have one of 226 imported into the US. That's pretty rare. And my 372/1000 is one of 70 with its option set.

brisvr4

As long as we are talking figures here there were 309 originally released in Australia.

JNR

Only 309? For some reason, thought you guys had a lot more down there than we did.

Also, did they put huge $$$ tariffs on them there, like they do/did on German cars?

turbowop

Quoting brisvr4:
As long as we are talking figures here there were 309 originally released in Australia.

While that seems like a small number, it's still waaaaaay more per capita than us. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

alik

Quoting BENE38A:
5000 cars had to be produced and sold to meet group A rally regulations, 3000 odd went to America who knows how many produced all up.

That holds true for group A homologation, which Galant VR4 wasn't. It was simply a factory option perfect for rallying, and was later used as such, yet it was never a homologation special, unlike, say, Toyota Celica GT-Four All-Trac.

Still, looking at the registry which rather dated (2008), I wonder if currently
there's more than say 200-300 cars left on the road. I mean, one look at this forum and you'd have to wonder... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Last edited:

BpuVR4

^eh? can someone verify this bit, that we don't have a Group A monster?? If i'm wrong, i'll be more than happy to accept it, but never head this one before. also...

brisvr4

Quoting JNR:
Only 309? For some reason, thought you guys had a lot more down there than we did.

Also, did they put huge $$$ tariffs on them there, like they do/did on German cars?

Yep, pretty much did sting us down here! Sticker price new was $42,500 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

LIV4PSI

Quoting alik:

Still, looking at the registry which rather dated (2008), I wonder if currently
there's more than say 200-300 cars left on the road. I mean, one look at this forum and you'd have to wonder... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

700+ VR4s weren't taken off the road in the last year

alik

"Cars such as the Subaru Legacy, the early BMW M3, the Audi Coupe Quattro or the Mitsubishi Galant VR4 and others are not true homologation specials"

click

Of course, that could be just misinformation, crafted by the jealous anti-DSM nazis. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned