The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

going in gear trouble?

I'm sure this has been talked about before, but unfortunately my search skills majorly suck. I took 1947 yesterday to get her rear steer lines installed , due to a leaky line obviously, and on the way driving her home it became difficult to get into gear. Especially at low rpm and speeds. There's some clunking and grinding into first and reverse especially. I've recently comletely rebuilt the motor, replacing the clutch and components while in there. Also installed new under the hood shifter cable bearings. Fluid levels are normal. Keep in mind 1947 only has 40 miles since the rebuild.
I greatly appreciate any help given, and time taken to read this post.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

What clutch set do you have? Did you shim the ball?
Start with the easy/free stuff first. Make sure the cables are aligned properly and if they're not adjuast them as per vfaq.com
Try bleeding the clutch, there might be some air pockets in the line. Check master/slave for any leaks.

creeping_death

This just happened to me, started out a little rough then got progressively worse until it got stuk in 1st. When I drained the fluid before yanking it, the fluid came out with a grayish metallic luster to it. I just bought a used one and put it in and everything's fine now.

toybreaker

iconoclast
A good old school trick for determining whether the problem is transmission related or a clutch release issue is to check for creep with the clutch disengaged.

On flat and level ground, depress the clutch fully, put the car in first gear and raise the engine rpm to 4500-5000 rpm.

If the car creeps forward, the clutch isn't releasing all the way.

That will cause troubles getting clean shifting from your transmission.

It's a stage 2 exedy. To tell you the truth, it's my first build, and I'm really not positive, but pretty sure it was shimmed up. My buddy "superchump" aka "chromeglock", was helping me with the build, he did the clutch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif. There's no signs of fluid leakage. I'll check the cables and for air pockets and see if that helps. Then try popping the rpms up and see if she creeps. Hopefully one of these methods corrects the problem. I'm really not wanting to open her back up already. Besides that I'm sick of buying royalpurple to cram into it(shits taxed), and trannys aren't my fortay.
Thanks for your help and replies, I'll update once these methods are tried out.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned