The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Tranny not going into gear

So I just picked up 831 here in Sacramento for $450 from a 50 year old lady. Car is all stock and I was told it had a bad transmission. So I started to troubleshoot it somewhat. Sometimes I can start up the car and shift it into all the gears just a little notchy, and sometimes I start it up and it wont go into any gear at all. When I push the clutch pedal in I can hear a slight grinding noise off and on. And sometimes the car actually will start engaging and moving by itself a little bit while in gear when the clutch pedal is fully pressed down. I have started it up drove it a few feet in 1st and then reverse for a min or less with no issues. Then have started it up immediately following and it wont go into gear at all. I tryed adjusting the clutch pedal rod 1 full turn towards the Master cylinder and didn't change anything (didn't know how much to adjust..) Any chance this might just be a master cylinder / slave cylinder issue rather than the transmission/cltuch being bad? I am still in the learning process just wondering what should be my path of things to try before pulling the transmission out replacing and having the same problem. thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

this is a very informative video -->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYJxQyjIhUw&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Edsmtuners%2Ecom%2Fforums%2Fnorcal%2Ddsm%2Dforum%2F342271%2Dtuesday%2Dkrispy%2Dkreme%2Dmeets%2Ehtml&feature=player_embedded

I went ahead and ordered a new master cylinder and slave cylinder from rock auto

I think this is the first thread I've seen where the OP asks a question supports it with a vid and then answers there own question.. LOL

Lol yeah I figured I would go ahead and replace the MC/SC just wanted some input from you all. Plus I was really bored last night so I did alot of research.

Hertz

Staff member
Oh, and let me be the first to congratulate you on getting such a steal!

DICK! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

fivestardsm

+1 ^^^

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited:

Oh it has its fair share of issues but definately worth the price. Clutch MC/SC wont be here until Monday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

DailyDSM

Yeah, but when you find those issues you won't feel like you got shafted on the price by the previous owners, who knew about them when they sold the car, like most of us do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I feel your pain DailyDSM, Mine needed a T case, Tranny and rear wheel bearings.. An I was told it only needed a clutch.. 2k in and still going..

Well I replaced the MC/SC and adjusted the clutch. It is still having problems going into gear. Sometimes it will go in like butter and sometimes it wont go in at all. I guess I am going to go ahead and pull the tranny when I get my other galant out of the garage. I am hoping its just a messed up throw out bearing or bad clutch disk or PP...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned