The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FP Pressure Plate Hardware Instructions > CR :(

CarRacer

I have always had a good experience with FP. I purchased their hardware kit for aluminum flywheels as I wanted to do things right. This kit.

I had issues earlier and I found the cause. The hardware kit uses studs to attach the pressure plate to the flywheel. The stupid mechanic installed them wrong. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif The motor wouldn't turn over because the studs hit the bell housing and locked everything up.

Who can't read directions for this hardware kit?

Last edited:

Gary_Chiu

I hate to do this, but did you install the bolts correctly?

Quote from FP's website:

"For the pressure plate studs, the LONG thread end goes into the flywheel. Here also in rare cases it may be necessary to bottom tap the 8mm X 1.25 pressure plate threads. "

Judging from your pictures, it appears the short end was installed into the flywheel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Brianawd

Quote:
Who designed this hardware kit? I would think a 1G awd application would be pretty common. I think it's pretty crappy that they don't mention possible issues. I was always impressed with their service and products until this point. Sad.

It was not the design. It was you installing the studs backwards.

Barnes

+pruss juan

Sorry CR. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Brianawd

Oh and on a side note. If you still want to run a stud just go and pick them up at a hardware store. Cheaper than FP

fivestardsm

Damn! Sorry to hear that. It could have been worse I supose tho. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CarRacer

Fawk. Well, at least the damage wasn't that bad. Only the studs ate it.

Polish

I called that ish yesterday in chat cru. Glad it will be an easy fix though.

spoulson

So the 3/4" of exposed stud didn't set off an alarm? tsk tsk.

vapid

I've read a lot of threads about people having issues with clutch engagement using those studs (even when installed correctly). You might just want to use the stock bolts.

G

Staff member
I don't know about those nuts, are they even locking nuts?

Struc

Yes, they are locking nuts. Just like the exhaust manifold nuts.

I've got the FP kit on my Spyder, and on the GVR4. The Spyder kit has been on there for 40k+ miles. I personally really like it, and have never had a problem with clutch engagement or anything. I don't see how they could cause an issue unless improperly installed.

Struc

Quote:
New OEM bolts ftw.

The main point of the kit, is that it includes longer flywheel to crank bolts. It compensates for the thicker face of the flywheel on the Fidanza and other aluminum flywheels.

The studs for the pressure plate are just an added bonus, and personally, I like them a lot better than bolts.

Barnes

Oh, thought that was a chromoly flywheel, my bad.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned