The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FP manifold vs evolution III?

gaylantvr4

the fp manifold is also taller so it will sit closer to your ic pipe. their is a guy on ebay that makes a custom blanket for the fp manifold. it fits like a glove and keeps alot of heat in. you can touch the blanket after a long drive and not burn your self.

JNR

I picked up an FP many moons ago, but am waiting to get it ceramic coated before installing it. Would be a shame to cover it up with a piece of stainless, but more importantly want to keep the heat in the runners as much as possible, for the turbo efficiency (expanding heat energy on turbine wheel). The shield I saw was just a cover more than anything in that regard, since there is still an air space, although suppose it's better than nothing.

When I was running my ported EVO III it had the oem heatshield, which worked OK...what helped it was putting a layer of alum. foil in between, believe it or not.

The FP is nice looking piece and made pretty well IMO...It did need a little bit of porting to match it 100%, even though out of the box it was pretty good. Went ahead and polished the plenum and runners it while I was in there, as that always helps on the exhaust side of things.

prove_it

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

JNR

Haha...

Where did it crack and was it after running it for awhile?

prove_it

That's what concerns me about coating the FP or wrapping it. I hear so many stories of cracks in the manifold and almost everyone was coated or wrapped.
I've got about 15k on mine with no cracks and no covers.

Wookalar

I had a ported evo 3 mani coated by hpc a loooong time ago and it never cracked on me. Used it with a 16g on my talon.

I think the cracking might have something to do with the nickel content. ? Maybe too high or too low?

EfiniX

Quoting prove_it:
That's what concerns me about coating the FP or wrapping it. I hear so many stories of cracks in the manifold and almost everyone was coated or wrapped.
I've got about 15k on mine with no cracks and no covers.

I'm far more inclined to wrap the IC pipe then the manifold. That FP racing mani is sexy. All the better if you've heard stories of covered/coated mani's cracking.

Beside, heat wrap on that one section of IC piping is going to be way cheaper, and with my girlfriend tired of hearing "I swear I'm done putting money into it"...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

JNR

Hmm, now you have me reconsidering the coating...maybe I should just throw a coat of high temp paint on it then and install it...my 02 is wrapped and made a heatshield to block off alternator so not concerned there. was going to get a turbo blanket too, but sort of wanting to just get this going.

prove_it

I was wondering that too. I don't know what to believe. I couldn't gather up info on when the manifolds were made. I also was wondering if these guys also have a bigger turbo with a heavy downpipe and no extra support for the turbo. I have a lower bracket that helps hold the downpipe so it takes stress off of the manifold/head studs. It is a lot of weight to be just hanging there, and on a DD with the amount of heat cycling I'm sure it doesn't help not having extra bracing or hangers.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned