The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FP manifold vs evolution III?

coyotes

Someone set me straight on the differences between these two. Is the FP worth the price difference? Is it just the highest flowing non tubular style manifold?

tektic

" Is it just the highest flowing non tubular style manifold?"

That's how it was explained to me. I just ported the hell out of a 2g manifold.

coyotes

the fp mani is not much more than the evo III. just wondering if the gains are worth it and if there has been a comparison dyno anywhere.

EHmotorsports

I will be getting a flow bench very soon and may try to get numbers off of the FP,2g and Evo manifolds. stock vs modified. I think there was an article about the evo vs 2g flow numbers. but I cant seem to find it now.

EHmotorsports

Right now its just a port matched 2g. but when the flow bench comes in i would like to port a 2g to its full potential. Fp is nice as you dont have to do anything other then bolt it on. I would never be able to sell a ported 2g manifold and be competitive with pricing vs FP. its just my time.

ghostinthevr4

People have ran 10's with that FP manifold I'm not saying it can't be done on a 2g or 1g manifold but it just seems to happen more with the FP. Another added benefit of running the FP is its less prone to cracking there has been reports of some cracking but few I think it was due to a bad batch or something to that effect. I know the 1g manifolds are notorious for cracking not sure about the 2g's

If you can get the FP manifold on sale it's a good buy I'm not sure what there going for now but some times they go on sale for 175.00 that's when you want to buy one. The longevity of the product is enough for me to so get the FP, but it sounds like your more interested in flow I think the FP might still have the 2g beat.

Just my 2 pennies.

coyotes

I am just looking for best powerband actually. FP is probably the best bet overall due to price, but I am debating on turbos to run with it and thinking about different combinations. I know that a 20g or a FP Green will spool up a little later, especially on a bigger flowing manifold like an FP. BUT, I would like to retain some lower end power and keep my car from being peaky. So, maybe a tighter flowing manifold like an Evo III? Or I can run a 16g. Eventually I would like to run closer to 400 wheel but retain midrange power, I think a 16g will top out before then.

Just some thoughts. I'm building my car for autocross/roadrace. 400 is on the higher side and I don't plan to be making that for a few years. My rebuilt engine isn't even done yet. But I would like to plan ahead and be ready to make the right decision. Just willing to hear all sorts of input on this.

EHmotorsports

I think you would be better off with a 2g that has been port matched to the 16g.

ghostinthevr4

Sounds like you got a lot of research to do, you mentioned 2 different turbo's and you talk about running a manifold with a smaller inlet to help with low end power. There's a lot to consider here hopefully someone on here with road racing experience can chime in and help you figure something out.

If your a member on tooner's you should try sending a PM to Ludachris and snowboarder314 those guys are big into auto crossing maybe they can be of some assistance.

Road courses and auto crossing can be rough on a car so try and gather some viable data to help with your choices.

jnava

Staff member
I'm seriously reconsidering if I should get an e3 mani and get rid of the FP one.

turbowop

I have an FP manifold sitting on my shelf that I still need to install. I've read from guys on this forum that at my power level swapping from my ported 2g to the FP I can expect a couple mph in the quarter mile, which is significant.

SSGdave

Is is worth the cost? It depends on what your budget is really, and what your intent is with the car overall.

For me I like to do "performance vs cost", on street cars. For the build of 1855, I went with an Evo3 manifold. Reason being, I obtained it for $60 and it has the ability to mount the OEM Heatshilds. But that build was all about passing California Smog Visual inspections (and test). The 2G manifold ported, was my origional idea but I happened upon the E3.
Getting back to cost, The money saved can be used to buy other items to further complete your project.

If you dont have strict visual inspections for your state (police inspections too), and can easly afford the FP unit, then get it. Its a proven piece and a great option if you wanted to stay away from a tubeular manifold.
BUT for racing, keep in mind that depending on what you are doing, you may have to be put into higher classes due to your modifications.

Last edited:

coyotes

Thanks Dave, I'll just be doing HPDE, so I won't have to follow any class regulations or anything. it's all just for fun, my competing days are over and I just want to have a well rounded fun car for track and windy roads.

I like the idea of the Evo III manifold but for the cost, you might as well spend the extra 60 dollars and get the FP. Or maybe I will run a ported 2g. Who knows still, I just wanted to have this thread to come back on at a later date.

Mark, maybe I'll pick that 2g manifold up from you once you put your FP on.

vr4play

Sounds like your building your car to be somewhat like mine. It is a dedicated auto-x / track day car. I am running a ported and extrude honed 2G exhaust manifold. The biggest thing I did to help mid-range power was install a 2G cylinder head. The car comes on like a train. I am running a Turbonetics BB T304E 50 trim turbo. I get full boost before 3800 rpm. I also run smaller 264 cams and still have a 2.5" downpipe. I am going to compare what changing to a 3" downpipe will do here shortly. I am going to dyno the car with the 2.5" and then swap it out for a 3" and see what happens. The car made more torque than horsepower last time I had it on the dyno. That was my reason for running the smaller downpipe but I have been told that I should be able to get even faster spool with the larger 3" downpipe. I'm sure I'll have to make a compromise somewhere. I'm also looking into a GTX3071 turbo to replace the old 50 trim but don't want anymore lag. I have plans for a 2.3 which should spool that turbo like a beast. The FP manifold would be better on a road course but the Evo 3 may be better for auto-x. I am planning to try an FP manifold to get a little more big end out of the car.

Hksvr4

You can port the 2g but the inside will not be as smooth slowing as the FP. I think is how the air will flow into the turbo. Also, when porting anything your taking away metal that will make it thinner which is prone to cracking. If you plan on keeping the car for a while, I suggest get the FP. You will save in the long run.

KiNgMaRtY

Also keep in mind that if you are going with the FP manifold you will want to consider a true heatshield as the OEM piece will not bolt on. The aftermarket shields for the FP manifold are also the price of the manifold themselves. I also have an Evo 3 manifold and was debating of getting an FP manifold but it just does not appear to be worth it to me for the added price of getting a custom heatshield.

prove_it

The tuners article is funny. 30whp loss in power from no heat shield? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I love the FP. It makes a great sound and I picked mine up for 150 barely used.

No heat shield is the only downside.

EfiniX

Quoting EHmotorsports:
Right now its just a port matched 2g. but when the flow bench comes in i would like to port a 2g to its full potential. Fp is nice as you dont have to do anything other then bolt it on. I would never be able to sell a ported 2g manifold and be competitive with pricing vs FP. its just my time.

You can feel free to pop the FP mani off my rig for your testing.

you know... for science and stuff

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned