The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Fixing a COP setup/diagnosing the problem

SmoothCustomer

So I have a coil on plug setup that causes the car to break up at high RPM's/maybe wot (I haven't driven the car with the setup on it since last year so I don't remember) . I don't know enough about COP setups to find out what the problem might be with. How do I know if it's wiring or a coil or both?

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Swap in a set of wires and go from there. What did you gap the plugs to?

JNR

Be sure the coils sit on the plug properly, with full engagement (i.e. measure the boot-spring vs. plug head vs. top of COP plate.

Also, what is your gap on your plaugs set to and what kind of plugs? Did it run fine before and just now started doing (or maybe you swapped recently and started getting this issue)?

SmoothCustomer

I should have been more clear. I have been running a coil pack and wires since I started having this problem. The coil pack and wires solved all my problems so I know it's the cop. JNR that COULD be the problem I have no idea, I will measure soon.

prove_it

My friend's 96 Talon was doing the same thing and we switched it back to wires and it went away. I also have COP and have been doing some logs and in my log's after 4k the rpm line gets a bit choppy. I'm thinking I'm dealing with the same issue. I have a couple ideas:
If your still using a plug and play I'm assuming your running the stock Ignition module, as was he and I. I think this is where the problem is. The stock ignition module is built to fire two coils in a waste spark set-up. When you install a COP the ignition module is now firing two coils at once, well two coils take more power and I'm starting to think that the ignition module can't handle the extra load at high rpm's. At idle everything is smooth, since spark output is lower. That's what I love about the COP, idle is sooooooo smooth.
I'm going to try swapping mine out, if my choppy datalog's go away, I'm going to experiment with the COP and see if I can figure something out.
I know that you can run an aftermarket ignition module, but I know for a fact the AEM box is way too unreliable, and MSD doesn't really cut it for COP. Right now I'm wondering if you ran two stock ignition modules wired in parallel to make up for it? Maybe, any thoughts on this?

SmoothCustomer

Hmm, what you said about power and 2 coils firing at once is a thought. I don't remember enough about circuits to give any input on the ignition modules. I know that running aftermarket ignitions would not be anywhere near cost effective when you could just get a spark tech basic kit.

prove_it

Whose COP are you using now?

Lonewolf64

COP provides less spark than the stock setup if you are using the stock ignition. There is no reason to switch unless you have an aftermarket ignition box. This is definitely the cause for your high RPM breakup. Do it right or go back to stock...it's better.

SmoothCustomer

Lots of guys run COP setups on stock ignition. It's more that plug and play is less reliable. If wired in directly the problems should be minimal, it's just that most people don't want to do that. I bet you that not very many people run $400 ignitions just to run a COP setup, because that's the average cost of an aftermarket ignition.

prove_it

Wired directly? How would you wire it in directly?

turbowop

Quoting SmoothCustomer:
Lots of guys run COP setups on stock ignition. It's more that plug and play is less reliable. If wired in directly the problems should be minimal, it's just that most people don't want to do that. I bet you that not very many people run $400 ignitions just to run a COP setup, because that's the average cost of an aftermarket ignition.

Then what's the point of running a COP system if not trying to better the ignition system? The COP unit in and of itself doesn't improve a damn thing, other than allowing you to get rid of the coil pack if you have a setup with a SMIM and it's hard to find a place for it.

Go back to the stock setup and enjoy clean ignition to redline.

Lonewolf64

Quoting SmoothCustomer:

Ok, so I tell you a known fact and you tell me that lots of guys do it. Great, those guys do it wrong. "Lots of guys do it" is a terrible reason for doing something a certain way. Go back to stock ignition or do COP the right way and get an ignition box. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

cheekychimp

As far as I know only three ignition boxes are worth getting and none of them cost $400-USD!

grocery_getter

My COP setup from Boostx run smooth all the way to 8000rpm. I am using it with the stock igniter. Maybe the fact that I can change the coil dwell setting using AEM is what makes my setup works.

Hertz

Staff member
Quoting Lonewolf64:
COP provides less spark than the stock setup if you are using the stock ignition.

Do you have any facts to back that up?

Brianawd

Quote:
I'm running the previous owner's home made one.

There is your problem.

Also for other people that are running COP the was built the right way. If you ever do have a miss check your coils to see if the mounting base is lose from the coil. If it is that will cause the coil to arc.
img.php

prove_it

So in the homemade ones, how are they getting wired wrong to cause these issues?
How should the coils be wired, Series or parallel on the companion cylinders, 1-4 and 2-3?

Last edited:

JNR

This is how I wired mine up and it seems to work pretty good.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned