The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Coil On Plug questions

GSTwithPSI

So for you guys running COP systems successfully, wtf? I can't get my car to run for sh*t using my COP setup. I have 2 separate COP setups as well, and neither seem to perform half as well as the stock coil and set of NGK wires I have.

Here's the deal. I hook up the stock coil and with some NGK wires, and the car pulls like a boss. It idles well and just all around runs pretty good.

Now I swap in either of the COP setups I have, and the car runs ok at idle. I say ok, because it runs noticeably better with the stock coil on. I can tell it misses randomly more often with the COP systems installed. Whatever. I can deal with a few random misses. What I can't deal with is how crappy the car runs under boost with the COP system on. As soon as the car winds up and gets to the point where going fast should occur, it hits about 11-15 PSI and totally fails. The ignition clearly starts to break up and the car bucks and runs like ass. I have the MBC set at 15 PSI, and the car runs great under the same conditions with the stock coil swapped in. With the COP system installed, cruising around and under part throttle it runs good, but anytime it hits boost under a load, game over.

So whats the deal? I know there are tons of people running these things successfully, and making good power using them too. So what am I doing wrong here? I guess I could rewire all the coils with newer heavier gauge wire, but other than that I can't think of any way to improve these things. Anyone got some pics of how their COP system is wired, what gauge the wire is, or any suggestions or tips on how to make these things perform well? Thanks.

GSTwithPSI

Yeah, I actually did read that thread. I haven't added any extra resistor packs or anything. I simply have my COP system wired like so:
img.php

Last edited:

EHmotorsports

do you have a pic's of the COP harness? and what coils do you have?

prove_it

Are your boots and springs long enough to touch the plugs? Also with my COP I ran my gaps at .022". Noticed a big difference. The COP systems is smoother, but technically will put out a bit weaker spark which is why people have issues with blow out.

LIV4PSI

Anyone know where to get cheap COP plates? The only ones I can find are JMFs and they are priced outrageously.

Sorry for the thread jack. It didn't seem like it was worth it to start a new one.

Last edited:

DynastyLCD

try unscrewing the top tip of your spark plugs while running the COP. i heard of a few locals that had breakup problems and that worked great as a solution.

i've never bothered with it, and i won't until i can afford an ARC-2 to use in conjunction.

GSTwithPSI

Hey guys, thanks for all the great suggestions. My boots and springs are all in good shape, fit properly, and seem to function as they should. I will definitely try and gap my plugs at .22", and also remove the plug tips to see if both of those things make any difference. Thanks again for the help, it's greatly appreciated.

boostx

COP plates. Let me know

prove_it

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Hey guys, thanks for all the great suggestions. My boots and springs are all in good shape, fit properly, and seem to function as they should. I will definitely try and gap my plugs at .22", and also remove the plug tips to see if both of those things make any difference. Thanks again for the help, it's greatly appreciated.

Try things one at a time, that way you'll know if it's gap, or the plug ends. That way you'll know how to correct it if you change plugs again.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned