The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

COP removal, back to stock ignition

Gmoney1983

So after reading several threads about the COP setups not being as good as stock without an amplifier, I've decided to go back to the factory ignition. Just curious as to what all parts I would need. Assuming it would just be the coilpack and plug wires. I've been looking over at rockauto and it seems this could be done for about 200 bucks. Looking at coil, part number UF158. Plug wires, Bosch part number 09083, and some new NGK V-power plugs. I know ill need bolts for the coil pack, anybody know what size or a part number for those? Also looking at getting a OEM spark plug cover from JNZ, ill probably just go to the hardware store and get some bolts for that, or see if the ones from the cop set will work?

Anything i'm missing here?

EMX5636

You could look for a partout on here or any forum. Coils usually hang in there pretty long on these, so you could probably get a good coil for cheap. Then just pick up a set of the stock NGK BPR (or BR)6ES for less than 25psi, 7ES for more. Stock NGK or similar wires are really all you need. I'm running a set of Taylor's from years ago, but I've ran the stock blue NGK wires to almost 500whp with BR7ES plugs.

James

I have an extra coil FS if interested.

Gmoney1983

Thanks guys. James ill pm you about that coil as soon as I can scrape some money together. I just replaced the plugs about a thousand or so miles ago, so I can probably hold off on those for a bit. Only running about 12 psi right now, so I think the 6s will work just fine for me. And I don't really plan on running more than maybe 300 horse or so. I just picked those Bosch wires because they are red and I got a lot of red going on under the hood right now.

So that should be all I need then right? Just the coil and the wires? Sounds like I should be able to recoup some of the cost by selling off the cop setup. As far as I can tell its a sparktech plug and play setup, but it could just have a sparktech cover.

James

And the transistor thing that plugs into the coil. Don't know if a COP uses that same part or not, never looked into it.

GSX_TC

^^
it does =)

Gmoney1983

yeah the transistor is still in there. Got a pm from a member offering me a trade, so i should hopefully have this done pretty soon. Man I love this site. Been a member of a few car forums before, and I have never met a more helpful group of enthusiasts.

I've having problems with my cop setup also. After reading this,I'm going to my stock coils and see if thats stops my stumbling problem at 3grand and above.

Armitage

Can you describe your 3k stumbling problem? I have a similar issue that cropped up not that long ago (also been using a COP for years but never had this problem until recently). Only happens once I hit over 15psi at WOT. If I keep on it for a second, it clears up at higher RPMs though. I've been grabbing datalogs to see if I can pinpoint the problem but I don't see anything telling in them.

Gmoney1983

I'm not ditching to COP because I've been having probs with. Just figures once I do start turning up the boost it'd probably be better to have the stock ignition. I've never had any problems with breaking up or anything. But keep in mind I'm running fairly low boost, only about 12 psi from a s16g. Mine will break up from time to time, but only when the boost spikes to 15 or so. I think that's because of me still having the stock injectors. If it doesn't spike it'll pull through the rev range nice and clean. Although the colder it gets out here it seems to be spiking more and more.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts