The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

First time running in 8 months. Now with problems

Typical, right?

Well I finally got tired of looking at 1308 and decided that 509 was not worthy enough to run before 1308. So I spent 12 days ( four of those were overnighters ) and turned the key in 1308. She was just a shell with some miscellaneous interior pieces in and now she is a whole, working car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I have DSMLink and an AEM wideband to aid in tuning and have run across a few problems. First one is the major one.

At idle the car was so lean that I only got "---" on my wideband. The FIC 1000cc injectors call for -53% global and 315-330 deadtime. I calculated for the EVO MAS as well. I have to bring the global up to 19% in order to acheive ~14.7 at idle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

My initial thought was that there were air leaks but that would make me run RICH because of the loss of air. Wait. At idle, there is a vacuum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif I think I may have helped my first problem. Any other ideas?

Second problem:

I deleted my ABS and tried the brakes for the first time. I have never locked up the brakes in the car and decided to test it out at about 30mph. It worked pretty well and I was impressed with the amount of braking before breaking traction. After releasing the brakes, all but the front right brake released. I felt the resistance and pulled off the road. Called my brother and he and I got some tools and came back and took the brake caliper off. Removed the pads and there were two rusty pistons. I want to replace the caliper from a DSM at the junkyard. Will there be any issues with this? I don't consider myself a newbie and I almost deleted this entire thread, but for as much as I type, it was too long to erase. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Just a little aid, please.

Cliffs: Patience will get you far. Rebuilt the car in 12 days. Brakes locked up. Idle is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

004tsi

you can use the front caliper from a dsm but it has to be from a 92.5+ twin piston dsm since all vr4's got the big brakes

Very nice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Will be going to pull a part tomorrow morning.

turbowop

Nevermind, I misread.

Nothing to see here, move along. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:

91GSR

thanks for the cliffs, saved me about 2 minutes. good job on the 12 days, wish i had that much time to devote to my baby

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned