The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Eng harness removal. please point me in the right direction.7/22 update

kooter

So I am about to that point. I have the harness just about ready to come out of the car. I have everything upto the firewall disconnected.
Before I get under the dash and start taking stuff off I just wanted to see if there is a how to or write up out there that I have not been able to find. Belive me I have been looking.
As always thank you for any help.

Last edited:

4g63mightymax

I have removed some from 1G DSM's which I assume are similar. Take this with a grain of salt though in case the GVR4 is different.

The only difficult part of the harness on the interior side is a plastic clip that is behind the heater box towards the passenger side, and under the carpet/firewall padding. You can pull/smash/cut at it with everything you have and never get it out. Its stupid strong. I usually remove a section of the heater box to get at it, and it is miserable every single time.

If you don't mind me asking, why are you pulling the harness? I have modified a ton of them for 4G63 swap usage, and may be able to guide you if you are doing something interesting.

kooter

The main reason is to clean and paint the engine bay. Will also be cleaning up as much as I can, as far as dirty greasy nasty old mess. Cleaning cleaning cleaning. Hopefully I can go through the harness while it is out and replace any broken or funky connectors.
I have read about the clip that is loomed into the harness behind the box. I already have removed the ecu.

Last edited:

4g63mightymax

Other than that one bastard clip, there isn't much drama involved. Just a few ground wires, connectors at the MPI relay, and ECU, and the larger white ones for the cluster. You may want to take a few pictures of how it is laid out for future reference. In fact - post them up here so everybody can benefit from your hard work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

And if you decide that you want to see the harness in action in your living room, let me know. I can help with that too. Example -> click I'm weird.

alansupra94

I would recommend dropping the blower motor. That clip in my car was bolted to the frame.

I removed it so that next time I didn't have to deal with doing that again.

prove_it

Yea, the harness doesn't just come out. Why not just wrap the harness and hold it out of the way for painting? I'm guessing your going for a full engine bay paint job then, and not just a pretty it up while the engine is out.

kooter

Yessir pulling out all the stops on this one. Just got the head back from the machine shop a couple days ago. Save up for some piston's and con rods. Then we should be ready to start reassembly ( I would say johhny 5 but have seen that name taken) I am sure once I get into putting it all back together I will find a reason to replace pretty much everything I can. I am a huge fan of powdercoating so will most definately coat everything powder or ceramic where aplicable. Haven't yet decided if I am going to keep the a/c . Part of me wants as clean looking as it can be, but especially hot days like today a/c is nice to have. We shall see I will most likely keep it.

kooter

Well I got a few more things out of the way. Fuel filter, power steering line, front brake lines and clutch line, wiper motor,brake booster. Took the glove box off and man is that a cramped mess. Have to do a little researching and see what I am getting into. Lol thinking I might as well just yank the dash out but hell might as well just pull the whole interior. If I only had the room to store everything. Car is currently in the parking lot at work. But I digress.
couple crappy phone pics. Just keep reminding myself if it this much fun to take off it will be a breeze to put back on.
By the way. brake booster was awsome fun. Seats are definately coming out.

As a by the way this is my first time really working on a car, I have done a few little things over the years but always found it easier to get someone I work with (I work at a stealership) So mechanics a plenty. I am a parts guy so they are always glad to help out, plus I tip well. But I have enjoyed the turning of the wrench at times. I feel I have learned alot of good info about this car although I do know I really don't have a damn clue what I am doing. Being part of the idea to just dive in and get dirty. I can learn as I go and eventually by the time I get to bigger this and better that I should know the basics of what I am doing.
The dream though, just there over the horizon passed the clouds and the tree tops. Is just having a quality unique automobile that I can feel good about, enjoy driving, and feel pride and respect for what I have, and have helped it become.

Last edited:

tektic

I had to pull the blowerbox. Glove box and move the ac.
I left the ac lines intacked and painted the them in the engine bay.. It's not perfect but its better than it was. Now they match.

kooter

ok so I got the heater and a/c boxes out of the way, removed the one nut holding the harness to the firewall. Then I notice part of the harness I want to pull through the hole goes up under the dash. So I follow it and find these connectors.
How do I get them to release. After 15 minutes of being upside down I just couldn't figure it out. So I have come back for more help. Again I say this has to be the best website on all the interweb.

When I first looked at it I was like wow man no way. I have to remove that. But after a little research it really wasn't difficult. The hardest part being one of the nut's top left of the a/c box. Didn't have a swivel had to use a stubby wrench.
Any suggestion's on where to get some foam to replace on the boxes. I believe they are like seals. Everything I touched just crumbled and turned to dust.

Also suggestion's and advice on how to get at the driver's side harness to remove that through the firewall.

Man I really should just pull the damn dash. I really wouldn't be upset to take absolutely everything off and start from square one with a complete paint job.

Last edited:

4g63mightymax

Hi, I like wires.

Step 1) Remove these connectors from their brackets.
GVR4-Plug-3.jpg

Step 2) Push the little connector lock down on these type of connectors. Then pull the connectors apart from each other.
GVR4-Plug-1.jpg

Step 3) Push the little connector lock down on these type of connectors. Then pull the connectors apart from each other.
GVR4-Plug-2.jpg

Full disclosure: I am going to be assembling a VR4 dashboard from a pile of parts in the near future, so your pictures will likely help me out. If you do end up taking your dash out, feel free to take as many pictures as you can throughout the process because that would be INCREDIBLY helpful! Until then, keep up the good work!

-Jeremy

kooter

So first I would like to say thank you. Thank you, and once more time for good measure, Thank you. I got the damn harness off. All in all wasn't bad of a job to do and I can say that should I ever need to do that again it would go much better. Doesn't it always.

So I now move on to my next two two question's

How do I remove the harness at the driver's side.

and next how do I remove the clutch master from the padal?

Pretty sure that it is this right here. Correct me if I am wrong. But how do I get to it. I was just snapping some random pics to look over later.

It was pretty damn hot and a pretty long day. So I was all to ready to go home for the night.

Last question for now.
I don't remember unplugging this connector. Thinking I had seen something just like it in a different thread. It was something for the 02 sensor. exhaust gas temp maybe. Feel free to confirm or deny.

The white connector that is against the fender all by itself

just realized you really can't see the connector I will get a better picture tomorrow.

I just want to strip the car naked and start with a brand new paint job inside and out. If I only had the Money, the time, and the space.

Last edited:

4g63mightymax

Your welcome!

The driver side harness - honestly, I forget. I would need to see pictures probably. My guess is that you pop that rubber grommet out of the firewall to the inside, and pull the harness through to the inside of the car. It is possible that it goes the opposite way though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The clutch master cylinder - should have two nuts on the inside that hold it in place. Remove those nuts. It also will have a round dowel-type-thingy going through it where it attaches to the pedal. On one side of the dowel-thingy there will be a clip that you need to remove. Do that. Pull the dowel out, and remove the clutch master cylinder.

The connector - you were 100% right - a closer picture would be awesome. If your car has the California emission crapola - it could be an EGR temp sensor connector. Get a close up, and I may be able to tell you more accurately what it is.

kooter

well I finally got the clutch master off. Was much easier after I removed the steering surround trim and lower dash trim.
Think I might have gotten a little carried away though.

So I am just going to bite the bullet and pull the dash in the next week or two if all goes well.

I really will say I do love working on this car. So far everything has pretty much come apart without a fight. I mean yea broke a stud off on the front bumper in front of the wheel and messed up a headlight connector. For the most part it has been shall I say pleasant.

I did however manage to destroy the trim right above the passenger door at the head liner when putting the seat back into the car. Man that thing just exploded it was quite a surprise.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned