The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Engine build update Bad news

Muskrat

So, the engine is out (see my post above), but the transmission is still in the car (according to you), but he's having trouble separating the transmission from the block.

What am I missing? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Also, click, clearly shows the engine/tranny out of the vehicle.

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

You know what? I'm an idiot, and wrong. The gusset sure as hell would not be in the way if they're both out together.

So, how the f*** are they stuck together? Especially if it's off the dowels?

Looks like im retarded here, Muskrat. Sorry man.

Last edited:

boostedinaz

Pull the engine and the tranny out of the car. Put both on the floor and pull apart. Far eaiser than messing with the engine in the air and trying to wedge them apart. If the tranny is in the car still that is your problem. The input shaft is kinked and won't slide out of the clutch disk.

Plus, you can use this time to clean up and paint the tranny and engine bay if needed.

Barnes

Beaner. You can't take those out unless you have the flywheel off.

BUT, DrDamm21, when you are trying to pry the whole deal apart, are you trying to pry the plate Beaner posted a pick of off the engine as well? The plate that is between the engine and the tranny STAYS on the engine.

beaner

^^ google.com

Barnes - you're probably right. I do remember there being a bolt down by the starter that has cockblocked me from separating the trans from the block in the past. I assumed it was that hole, just going on my memory.

Hello I will look for all these bolts again its just weird that the tranny will spin left and right and is about a half inch off the block and its out of the car on the ground I just have not had much luck with seperating it completely thanks again guys for all the help

beaner

I installed my flywheel/clutch/trans last night and remembered this thread as I did it. If the transmission isn't parallel with the block, you can get the spline tweaked somehow into the clutch setup [pressure plate fingers I believe], causing your exact problem. If I were you, I'd spend some time making sure the trans and block were really close to parallel using a jack, wood wedges, cherry picker, whatever. After that you can just 'finesse' the trans away from the block.

Thanks I was able to get it off and the motor is on the stand now it was funny after fighting with it I just gave it a nice tug and it slipped off like butter . Now to see why and how the motor froze on me .

I have found an e39a vr4 front clip listed as a 4g63 limited edition with yellow injector caps shipped to me here in AZ for 2500.00 I asume this is the 240hp rs vers. of the car and it gets me excited that I might buy this for the alternet swapp for my vr4 asuming this is correct my ??? is what if any diffrances would there be in the install mods ect. I am waiting for addl pics and the vin# to verrify it is a real rs car . Or is this just a big waste of time and money and I should just keep on the path of a rebuild and general mod quest thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

boostedinaz

Again, those motors are hit and miss. For 2500.00 you could have a FRESH motor and some minor mods if you really wanted to. When my buddy bought his it was only 1800.00 so that 2500.00 seems like a lot.

Think of it this way.... what if that motor leaks, has low compression, has bad valve seals, etc... You've spent 2500.00 on a USED motor and nothing mentioned above can really be checked until the motor is in the car. Do you really want to get that far only to have to fix things again?

RedTwo

Seems like a lot of money for (essentially) 510cc injectors, big 16g and a cyclone intake manifold. You'll really want the ECU and full engine loom to get the best deal out of it.

Its a half cut car but its probly still a bad deal but it does come with complete front half cut car with all wireing and ecu

DR1665

Buying a used engine, sight-unseen, from the other side of the world is a serious crapshoot, dude. Granted, you could probably sell some of the cosmetic bits on here to recoup some of your cash, but in the end, you're looking at basically a stock engine of questionable quality for your entire budget, which would mean you come up short on critical items such as oil, filter, plugs, wires, belts, hoses, coolant, and so on.

You will be happiest if you just do a simple stock rebuild. Stock lump is PROVEN to 400hp. Put a smooth $1000 into a fresh, zero mile stock engine, enjoy driving it while you break it in, and THEN decide how to invest your remaining $1500 to make it a screamer.

You do NOT need Frankenstein 2G piston setup.
You do NOT need a Cyclone intake manifold.
You do NOT need fatty injectors.
You do NOT need porting, a valve job, or any other headwork beyond decking for the MLS HG.
You do NOT need any more headaches.

It's going to start warming up before you know it, man. You've got about three months get that sled sorted, or else you're still going to be f***ing with it in the summer. Keep it simple. Keep it maintained. Keep it reliable.

Don't buy into the hype. A reliable, running GVR4 beats a clapped-out, Frankenstein shitbox "racecar" any day of the week.

socalgvr4

I couldnt agree with this more. I'd take the advise on this page and do it in moderation if your looking for your money to go a long way for you.

The worst thing and speaking from naive experience in the past, when I got started is to not having anything at all.

I think its damn good advice to ENJOY the car and not put sh*t loads of money into something that will likely never get finished.

sh*t just look you have 5 pages on this topic! ~ Do it right and listen to guys that have cars that run more than 1 day every 3 months.

Don't buy into the all the hype.

Last edited:

boostedinaz

Quoting Drdamm21:
Its a half cut car but its probly still a bad deal but it does come with complete front half cut car with all wireing and ecu

I think you get the point we are trying to make Issac but look at it this way, you spend ALL your money on this front cut. What about new belts, water pump, hoses, paint, gaskets, seals, etc... All that stuff still needs to be replaced. Sure, you could sell some nice JDM parts and make some money back but again look at reality...shipping, pricing, communication, all things that are 1000% needed to make selling parts go smoothly. Do you want your build stalled because you are waiting on people to buy some bumper? Do you want your build to stall because your trying to put a motor in a car, but have to run to UPS to drop off some headlights? IMO, none of that is worth it for a mystery motor.

As Brian and I have said keep it simple and you will be enjoying the car sooner than you think.

just incase anyone wanted to know what crazy idea I was looking at here the pics I was sent of the half cut

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned