The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Working on a super clean MS install. Wiring harness question

DSMTurbo2

Hey everybody. I am working on doing a very neat and clean megasquirt install on 1189 and am trying to infuse the MS harness with the stock harness. I had brought up one of my spare TEL harnesses to use for this, but then realized there are actually considerable differences in the GVR4 harness and the TEL so I need to use the GVR4 harness solely.

Anyway on to the good stuff.

1.Has anyone pulled the wiring harness out of their GVR4 with the heater/blower still installed (dash still in tact)? I have done this on a TEL but it appears as though there is one cluster of wires connecting just cabin side of the firewall I cant see or feel to get un-snaggled.

2. Does anyone Have a pic of the upper right firewall from inside the cabin with dash removed, heater core and blower removed and wiring harness still intact (LP maybe)?

3. Does anyone have a picture of a GVR4 harness out of the car and spread out?

I have checked the EWD and don't see anything that should be holding me up. anyone with experience who can chime in would be a big help. Thanks

Cheers, Erik.

strokin4dr

Quote:
1.Has anyone pulled the wiring harness out of their GVR4 with the heater/blower still installed (dash still in tact)? I have done this on a TEL but it appears as though there is one cluster of wires connecting just cabin side of the firewall I cant see or feel to get un-snaggled.

This is the biggest pain in the dick of the harness removal. I finally got it out by removing the glove box and reaching under there to cut the tape holding the harness to the big white clip thing that attaches to the inside of the hole running through the firewall.

I do not have a pic of the plastic piece that I am speaking of, but here is a pic of my harness out of the car. Circled is the area where this plastic piece was taped to the harness. Hope this helps.

Oh BTW, remove the passenger side dash speaker to gain easier access to a few of the harness plugs (the white ones circled in the second pic) that are otherwise very hard to get at with the dash in place.

DSMTurbo2

Thanks a ton.
I did remove the speaker, that was a huge help.
I think I only unplugged two connectors in that area, looks like there should be three around there. That might be what is hanging me up. Thanks Agian

strokin4dr

No problem. If you need any help identifying any wires on that harness or want to see a list of the wires that can be deleted from that harness to further clean it up while you have it out, just let me know.
-Ryan

DSMTurbo2

Well yeah it was that taped piece on the firewall after all. I ended up pulling the blower enough to get it out of the way. Thanks for the tip.
This is the piece for anyone else who stumbles on this.
Sorry for the crappy cell pics.

and here is how it all sits right now. Take note of Factory issue galant shop manual with EWD's open. and lappy with the like as well.

The main black covered harness you see running up the middle is the megasquirt harness. everything off it is what has not been cut away yet or is what is needed to keep the car functioning. The bag-o-crap in the lower right is what has already been chucked.

All I have to say at this point is wow.

Ryan thanks for all the help. Cant say for sure if im going to need more or not. But thanks for the help thus far.

DSMTurbo2

quick question. Is the output pin 4 white wire on the power transistor the tach signal for the ecu and the tachometer? is it something else?

Thanks. Erik

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts