The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

First night at drag strip for #931

NateCrisman

Wow, that was fun. I really forgot how much I enjoy pedals and shifting. Last time I had a dsm at the track was 2005 in the yellow 1g my shop put together (10.0 @148). It's just as fun in a slow car either way and Im glad to be back into it for a hobby.

Got in 5 runs, 3 gallons of 116 racegas in the tank (holy sh*t $11 gallon now)
[*]12.98 @ 107.4 1.881 left at 4650rpm and bogged to 2900. street tune. 19psi creep> 21
[*]12.91 @ 108.9 1.940 left at 5250rpm spun/let off, 11.5 AF, +4* timing 21psi solid
[*]12.68 @ 110.3 1.892 - 4900rpm spun first let off. 12.0 AF 23psi
[*]13.55 @ 108.2 1.859 - 4700rpm spun through first then missed 2nd 12.0 AF 24psi
[*]13.02 @ 109.1 1.965 - 4400rpm, bogged. wheel hop on 1-2 shift...let off in second.
[/list]
Not a clean run all night, but it was super fun no matter what. The DS-Map tuning worked great. The greddy type S boost controller ended up pegged on the high setting to only get 24psi.

So the car is just about where I thought it would be mph wise, I just can't get it off the line worth a sh*t. It wasn't like I was hitting the tires too hard with aggressive clutch, I was slipping the clutch more than normal i think. Tires would just break loose once the clutch was all the way out and boost came up in first. On the last run I got tire spin from a hard 1-2 shift and it started to wheel hop in front and had to let off.

Literally went up in smoke on a 4700 launch, but would bog on 4500. There was like no window of opportunity with these tires. oh well. They are really hard rubber, couple year old regular street tires I got off a parts car. With some decently sticky tires the car should go real low 12's as it sits.

Didn't get to check the ic coupler I repaired (silicone rtv and duct tape). It likely ripped open on the first pass.

I have a bunch of things to take care of before going back:
[*]Reroute the ic pipes. My lower pipe going into the IC has a 3" to 2" 90* coupler that had a hole. It has to bend more than 90 to make the hole alongside the radiator. Just not a good setup as the coupler is creased.

[*]Get some different tires of some sort.

[*]possibly change the boost controller out for a manual since it was maxed out at only 24psi.

[*]remove more weight. This week I got the front crash support out (~50lb), Id like to ditch the rear one too.
[/list]

Last edited:

atc250r

Staff member
This might be a stupid idea but what about leaving the EBC in place and using a MBC in the line to the WG? Then you can use the MBC to find a comfortable boost level with the EBC in the middle and you'll be able to raise it above where you can now. That big boost leak certainly could be limiting your boost as well.

John

NateCrisman

I suppose that would work, but frankly, Id rather sell the greddy ebc on ebay, put a hallman mbc on the car and have $100 tward a set of drag radials. There's really no reason to have that ebc on the car if I need to bypass it at the track and I'm not fond of them anyway. The one I have isn't even mounted, it's flopping around under my pass seat.

deez

Nice run with an E16G! I have been bummin on my E16G, but you are giving me some hope. Maybe its the 180k on the motor that has me running slow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

NateCrisman

Couple weeks and I'd like to see a significant improvement. Ideally, I want to see an 11 and 115mph on this turbo.

I'm sure it's going to take some significant weight loss as well as just about every mod I have in my head "to do"
[*]hks cams
[*]cold air intake
[*]new ic pipes...100% leak free system
[*]more boost..~28-29psi
[*]drag radials & 1.5 60'
[*]drop another 75 to 100lb (rear bumper support and lot of "couple lb here and there")
[/list]

Last edited:

NateCrisman

Friday night the 17th at Island.

I'm going to run again on May 6th. It's a Wednesday night. $15 to run a street car & free BBQ food all night.

NateCrisman

Yeah, I'm totally hot for DS-Map now. Can't wait for the paid version to be available with the extended rpm and load maps.

1990ggsxnj

Nate, what do you like about the DS-Map over the Link?

NateCrisman

[*]About 1/2 the price or less. Only need to buy hardware (GM map, AIT, Ostrich) as the software is free-ware.
[*]no maf restriction. No oddball stuff with maf position vs signal output (bends before maf, rotation of maf)
[*]simple intake and ic pipes, vented bov, less stuff in engine bay
[*]car drives home when an IC pipe blows off on the road somewhere and the clamp goes missing.
[*]Log boost and actual air temp post IC
[/list]
Granted DSMlink has a very robust datalogging setup, DS-Map has a modified MMCD palm program.

In the end, I'm a cheapskate DSMer, so the choise is easy. Plus Im used to AEM tuning so the DSMap is similar: boost comp & spreadsheet.

Last edited:

icurunnin

I have a buddy down the street who offered me this system for $100. I guess I should give it a try when you list all the good things that come from it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned