The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Clutch Slipping?

Nabeel

Any one can tell..What the hill is this>>>> My VR4 is loosing power.
click RPM is going high while the car is slowly moving!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

Please I need suggestion of a quality & good price upgrade if this is clutch issue.

2of9

that's the clutch slipping. thats a pretty bad slip. are you still on the stock clutch? what are your mods? get the act 2100, my cousin has it on his Talon and it's been going quite well for him. I too am in need of a clutch!

Nabeel

I am not sure what clutch I have. It was on the engine when I bought it. About the mod. 650 injector bigger intercooler & piping. Little boost.
So you think I need new clutch...ACT? Any other suggestion. Do I better to upgrade my flywheel also?

onesickcrx

Just throwing it out there I have a act street lite flywheel and a Centerforce dual friction clutch with 2500-3500 miles on them never launched or slipped worded well for me with a big 16G and 26psi. My new setup is a quarermaster twin disk so I will be selling my old flywheel and clutch in case eather of you want a good clutch low miles that was balanced also....

Quoting mitsu90:
I personally like the spec clutches. http://www.specclutch.com/products I have been running the stage 2+ and repeatably beat the snot out of it, and it takes anything I through at it.

I was all set to get one of these myself but found a ACT for 125 shipped over on DSMtuners..:)
just get a new street clutch IMO stay wiht the stock flywhell..Resurfaced.

mitsu90

^^^ Can't beat that price /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Yea got really lucky seller was trying to move it for like 3 months I shot and offer and it worked.Hell I was surprised..:)

Nabeel

2of9

^^^those XTD's actually hold up quite nicely. My cousin had the XTD "stage 2" clutch on his Talon before he went with ACT. Drove fine and had plenty of launches on it when I drove it(1 year ago). XTD holds up quite well IMO.

Quoting Nabeel:
Any body tryed these XTD Clutch with flywheel I like the price /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Here is a spec STG 2 new..

click

XTD I had 2 of them both of them had somn really bad clutch chatter, had both of them replaced and trashed. Just my .02. Maybe a got two bad ones???

Nabeel

That is very confusing....

What about this F1 STAGE 3 CLUTCH KIT&FLYWHEEL?

conquesttsi

If I were you I would just stick with what has been proven.
Personally I went with the tried and true act 2600/ Fidanza combo.

Just IMO but stay away from ebay clutches.. Just go out and get the spec 2 or ACT.

Link for spec 2 click, I have geard a lot of very good things about this clutch kit, Just not import wise. A lot of Ford guys run these on SVT's over 500whp..Not the Stg 2 of course..:)

ACT. click

gvr4ever

I got a spec clutch on my Mustang that I sold. Clutch held power and pedal feel was great. The TOB in the kit was crap. If you go this rout, I'd get a Mitsu TOB.

conquesttsi

"I got a spec clutch on my Mustang that I sold. Clutch held power and pedal feel was great. The TOB in the kit was crap. If you go this rout, I'd get a Mitsu TOB. "

I think the same holds true for mostly all aftermarket TOB's. I know I went with OEM because the ACT looked like crap as well.

Nabeel

OK So ACT or Spec 2.....ACT 2600 with street disk is the most pupular I think.

Quoting Nabeel:
OK So ACT or Spec 2.....ACT 2600 with street disk is the most pupular I think.

Yea 2600 is good, I have that one on mine. An like stated above make sure you stay with the OEM throw out brearing, or you will hear a tin can sounds.. ;/

mitsu90

I'm telling you go with a spec stage 2 or stage 2+ and you will be more then happy.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned