The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Clutch Problem

OZRally

I have an XTD stage 4 clutch on 1929/2000. I had some shifting issues and figured it was the clutch or tob. I pulled the trans out and noticed the clutch splines were sheared off (rounded out). So I bought a new ACT 6 puck because XTD didn't want to warranty it. I installed the new disc but forgot the pressure plate torque spec so I put them at 30 ft lbs. Installed everything and went for a test drive. Engagement was about halfway and I was used to it being low. After a block of driving the clutch started slipping bad. Free-revving to 6k rpm like if it was engaged. Even while holding the clutch down it revved high. So I limped it home and adjusted the pedal and bled the clutch line some more and same issue.

Question is... Is it doing this because I over torqued the pressure plate? Or is the XTD pressure plate not compatible with the ACT disc?

Please help, if I can't figure this out then the car will be sold. Tired of taking the damn trans out.

SouthCaliVR4

did you check the shaft the throwout brg rides on, it may be notched & keeping the clutch engaged even after you lift your foot, also did you lube it? my best guess would be a sticky throwout mainly cause I would think the disk, if incompatible would fail to disengage not stay disengaged unless it was slipping like mad right out of the gate.

OZRally

Yes the shaft was nice and clean. The tob was lubed as well as a little on the splines of the disc, as said by ACT. tob is brand new from Mitsu. Feels like the clutch is constantly engaged and creeps forward at a high rpm.

OZRally

Problem found. ACT and XTD discs are not compatible. FML!
Now waiting for some cash to buy a new clutch kit.

OZRally

Trans are a cake walk for me now. I just hate the whole process. Off and back on in 5 hrs by myself. Lol

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned