The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

please help me with my clutch problem

mitsuturbo

Center diff or VCU could have taken a dump. It might not be a slipping clutch.. if it were, you'd probably smell it. It could be an axle as well. Rear axles like to break VERY easily in 3 bolt setups. It's possible your Transfer case blew up and now you're only getting power to the front wheels, a rear axle snapped and now the diff has no resistance so spins freely.

Put the car on jackstands and run it through the gears. Make sure all the wheels are spinning.

MellowVR4

+1^

Ok I will put it on jackstands tomorrow evening and test it out. If the center differential or vcu is bad what should it do when I have it on jackstands and run it threw gears thanks for the help this had been a real nightmare

rdomeck

Make sure you don't get the wheels spinning to fast. Tires tend to fly apart if they are spinning to fast and not loaded! I would suggest not any more than your speedo reading 40!

Ok will do. Do u know the symptoms I should look for if it is not a axle but the vcs or center differential what should I look for so I know what problem is thanks

EMX5636

with all 4 wheels off the ground, each tire should spin the other 3. Rears will turn the same way if you have the LSD, fronts will turn opposite. Direction doesn't matter. Try that at all 4 wheels. I don't recommend driving the car in the air, but I've seen it done. If any feels different, check that one specifically. You could also pop the end cover off the transmission (while still in the car). Make sure there isn't any metal chunks or anything floating around. The 5th gear and middle trans case will keep you from seeing the whole center diff, but it might show you something. Just a bit of gray RTV and re-torque the bolts to re-assemble. Nothing crazy difficult.

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

Quoting rdomeck:
Make sure you don't get the wheels spinning to fast. Tires tend to fly apart if they are spinning to fast and not loaded! I would suggest not any more than your speedo reading 40!

I've spun mine up to 100+. NO issues.

Ok I have jacked the car up and spun wheels by hand and only the wheel I spin moves am I not doing it right or do I have a problem?

EMX5636

Might have to put the car in gear. You are probably just free-wheeling the transmission.

Ok I put car in third gear and spun the front driver side it spins the passenger side but that's it I spun the rear drivers side and it is the only on that turns so I spun the rear passenger side its the only what that turns all this is done in third gear so what could my problem be since one tire is not spinning the other three

EMX5636

Think of it like this, spinning each wheel by hand can only send rotation 2 ways. To the opposite side, or toward the other end of the car (if everything is working correctly). If neither of the ouputs spin, you have a problem at that wheel. While you are spinning, check the other wheel, as well as the driveshaft.

I think your options (in order of easy checking) is T-Case, Rear Axle, or Center diff.

Throw the car in neutral and spin the driveshaft. It should spin both rear tires (might have to hold one to get the other to go if you have an open rear diff). If that checks out, then pull the t-case and make sure spinning the input shaft also spins the output shaft to the driveshaft. If that seems ok, you might be due for a trans teardown/swap.

Last edited:

Ok I will check that out thanks alot also if it is my differential or transfer case will a 1g dsm one work and samewith the transmission

EMX5636

Yes and Yes. Just need to match up 22 or 23 spline for the T-Case, and 3 or 4 bolt for the diff. Trans is bolt in. 1st Gear ratio is different, but you probably won't notice it. The DSM TEL one is slightly stronger anyway.

rdomeck

Quoting mitsuturbo:
Quoting rdomeck:

I've spun mine up to 100+. NO issues.

That is a good way to blow tires......

Barnes

Why would a tire be more likely to blow unloaded vs. loaded? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ok I finally got around to checking the car over have been very busy but I jacked car up and had it in neutral and spun drive shaft and only my rear passenger side would turn so I had my buddy spin it while I checked to see if axles were spinning and both axles are spinning just rear driver side is not turning wheel at all and it also feels kind of notchy feeling on that drivers side so it feels like that there could be a problem there just wondering if you guys think this could be my cause to my problem with it feeling like its revving just not picking up speed

EMX5636

I don't know if I've ever seen the outer axle joint break, but it's possible. Have your buddy spin the tire and you hold the driver side axle. If one turns, and not the other, you either broke the axle or the small stub shaft (rear hub) that goes through the trailing arm.

And to answer your other question, yes, if any one axle is broken, the car will feel like a slipping clutch because the viscous center coupler and center diff is freewheeling towards the broken shaft.

ok so would i need to purchase a new rear axle and is there any other parts i would need to get when i change the axle out? also could u name somewhere to purchase these parts that i will need? this has been a real nightmare thanks alot for your help sir.

EMX5636

You're better off finding one in a part out. I know the 4-bolt axles are no longer available, not sure about 3-bolt ones. (I wouldn't get a NAPA/Autozone etc) They don't tend to hold up as well as OEM. If it's just the axle, then that's all you would need to replace. Check the 3 bolt flange at the outboard joint. If that isn't spinning but the axle is, then it's the axle. If that flange is spinning, but the wheel isn't, then it's that small hub. Someone on this board might have a stock 4 lug hub (or a good time to upgrade to 5 lug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

Ok man ill check around and see what I can find on here I believe I'm just goin to need the 3 bolt axle thanks alot if anyone is selling 3 bolt axles let me know thanks

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned