The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Car shakes really bad. When I press the clutch it goes away.Help???

So I installed a new clutch and pp. With a gsx tranny that I bought second hand. The car drove great for like 2 days ( I was stoked). Now it will randomly shake under acceleration sometimes. Sometimes while decelerating or just at idle. As soon as I press in the clutch ( or the clutch is disengaged) the vibration stops? Could it be the tranny? X case...I really don't feel like dropping this tranny anymore. How can I pinpoint this problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

toybreaker

iconoclast
Stop driving the car NOW!

Remove the starter, and try and wiggle the flywheel/pp.

It's quite likely the flywheel to crank bolts or pp/to flywheel hardware has loosened up.

Failure to address this in a timely manner may result in a catastrophic failure

[edit] you may be able to remove one of the rubber booties from the bellhousing and check things that way as well.

Last edited:

GSX_TC

Could also be the throw out bearing aswell.

I stopped driving it as soon as it started...thanks for the Info guys....so it just sound like something coming loose...no tranny issue could be causing this?

Last edited by a moderator:

toybreaker

iconoclast
throw out bearing issues will cause noise (and maybe a little vibration) you could feel while the clutch was in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Since this problem showed up soon after replacing the flywheel/clutch/pressure plate

...and goes away when the clutch pedal is pushed in ...

I would think that would be an issue with the flywheel/clutch disc/pressure plate.

(Pushing the clutch in will load those components back where they belong if they are loose)

just a theory, ymmv /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Galantvr4559

I agree with toybreaker if there was recent clutch work done more than likely its the flywheel bolts or the pressure plate bolts. Either way it sucks. A throw out bearing would have to be pretty worn out to make a crazy vibration.

I am about to drop my trans tom. So I will update when I do that. This is what I found so far.

22 spline xcase ..can I still use it....if not does anyone have an extra one...I have a 23 spline for sale from when I had my galant vr4 tranny in. It works great. I would be willing to trade my 23 for your 22. Let me know.

GSX_TC

The dealer or local parts stores

GSX_TC

Yes you can mix and match output shafts

not the output shaft on the tranny ...I was wondering i could replace the broked peace on the x case above ..see [pic

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting usethe4ce:
can i replace that spine?? whatever it's called?

you can buy that part of the t-case from jacks transmissions for about $200

1uGlyGalaNt

Quoting usethe4ce:
not the output shaft on the tranny ...I was wondering i could replace the broked peace on the x case above ..see [pic

If your input splines look like that then your output shaft probably isn't in very good shape either.

I tightened down the pp in a star pattern. It was fairly difficult trying to get the xcase on. It was never that difficult when I had the 23 spline on my gvr4 tranny before it blew.

So I just dropped the transmission today. I found nothing other then the broken pieces that came off the trans-axle. They where in the bell housing, could they have been causing the bad vibration. The two top bolts holding the tranny to the engine where coming loose, it seems like they vibrated out.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned