The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

I am having two problems with my car! Help please!

prove_it

Ecu is reading -80*F then. Get those wires fixed up and you should be good to go.

prove_it

Maybe not ALL the problems, but start there and get that sensor feeding the ecm data. Being a two wire sensor, IIRC, that's the ecu temp sensor. You'll probably notice an increase in fuel mileage as the ecu isn't dumping fuel.

Might wanna do an oil change as well to be sure no raw fuel made it into the pan. No likely, but could have. (good insurance)

EfiniX

Quoting Salmo:
Okay here is the sensor, and I'm holding the broken wire

Here's what can happen and yes, it causes crazy problems.

Symptom video 1:
click

Symptom video 2:
click

The culprit:
click

Salmo

Okay now that is pretty damn similar, but it's slightly different. I'll record a few videos then upload to YouTube and link it here.
Another thing is I don't know what type of trims are even good for the car. So maybe after the video you will see and understand it better. Cause it's not quite like that I don't think, but similar for sure and I can't explain right now I just need to get a video and such to show you.

EfiniX

Great. Absolutely get that coolant sensor sorted out. I've also had an IAC die and that will cause these sorts of problems. But for now, replace that fan and fix that sensor. Nothing else will behave correctly unless that is sorted out.

gvr4ever

I had a problem years ago. Thermostat would open late, or stick. Another known problem in general on all cars. The heat exchanger can get clogged and restrict coolant flow. I haven't heard of that problem on these cars, but anything is possible. Another issue could be a weak water pump.

Salmo

Okay so I paid more attention to my air fuel ratio and it actually isn't quite like that, I don't take a video yet, but I'm going to fix that sensor tomorrow, then next I am going to get another fan in there, and when I do that, I may get an aluminum rad anyway just for looks and efficiency, but if it works with both fans it's not needed yet,

Salmo

I got the one wire fixed and boom it starts fine now, it's still a little funky on the throttle when its cold but it now starts no problem, and idles fine. Thank you very much guys! I haven't had any overheating problems since I filled up my rad it was a tiny bit down, didn't realize I blew so much water out when it overheated one time. But she seems solid, the weather has cooled down a lot so it is also a factor, I want it to be hot to test it but when it's cold outside she's golden.

EfiniX

Great news!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned