The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Been gone way too long...

Chad989of2000

I've grown sick and tired of watching the VR-4 gather dust in the garage...I need to get back on that horse. I moved out west to the SF Bay Area two years ago and haven't even popped the hood on 141/1000 since. I've been super sidetracked with life in going back to school (MBA) and landing a new job. Occupying the necessity of speed in my life has been left up to my daily driver (Legacy spec.B), which in the past two years has become quite a capable performer in its own rights (I'll make a separate post about that). I'm ready to get the VR-4 going again...and in a bigger way.
As it sits now...I had to pull the engine due to a freeze plug blowing out and dumping coolant everywhere (cause may have been loose head bolts). Upon reassembly, the car will not hold idle to save it's life and stalls out when not applying throttle. It's been years, but I bet it will still do this if I get her to turn over. I'm sure I can get to the root of that problem, but that's just how she sits now as well as needing some other misc. TLC to get her where I want to be.
The plan: I want her to still be street-able but more of track-focused application (feel bad ripping on the Legacy at the track and then turning around and asking it to comfortably take me back and forth to work). Numbers wise, I really want to hit 400 whp (no BS). Not looking for a dyno queen, just a very fast track car with good power throughout the range. I totally understand building the engine up is a necessity and I'm accounting for that needing to happen. Just tapping into the knowledge pool here to see what you guys recommend for such a build. More precisely, what are your tried and true combinations of engine build, turbo, transmission, cams, etc you employ to hit such numbers and achieve more than solid track performance?
Also...I really miss the forum. Such a tight group (as I remember) with an amazing knowledge base. Please let me know what you guys think and any key pointers in driving toward my rather ambiguous at this point goal.

Thanks in advance,
Chad

dsm10o0

Welcome back. Where in SJ are you?

Chad989of2000

Thanks man. I'm right in north Willow Glen. Nice to see someone with G-ride nearby.

dsm10o0

Nice, im in the evergreen area. Hit me up if you need extra hands. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chad989of2000

Will do and same to you.

eviLntt

I have been out of the VR4 loop a while myself, life can really get distracting. Welcome back, and (a belated) welcome to CA!

Chad989of2000

So true and thanks.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned