The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Going full race car

Lukefraizer

I have been driving my car for about a year and a half now and decided it is time to get a new dd and just finish her off and make 619 a full track car. I originally had 258 cams because I was going to be doing rallyx but I just love the track. That being said are the 272's going to be that much better with running a evo3 16g or just keep the 258's in there? I was hoping to hit the 400whp mark by changing the turbo sooner or later. Also the whole set up is going to change a lot. Maybe looking to do something like the one lap guys just not as extreme I suppose. Any help would be awesome!

Luke

Barnes

Specifically what kind of racing? Do you want to be competitive? How much money are you willing to spend? Need more details.

Lukefraizer

Time trials. If we are not competitive than I would be really sad! Got the big wilwoods all around. Hotbits D2 coilovers. Rebuilt and shock "?dynoed?" SP THERE as of last week. Big sway bars in the rear engine is super fresh. Already have the AEM v2 for tuning and such. The base of what I have is very good at the moment. Just needs to be fine tuned for the track now.

Lightning1

272s are not too bad for daily driving. I was driving some gsc 272s (now S2) every day, winter and all. They actually idle good and pull good vacuum for your brake booster, so there is no reason to make your car a "track only" car because of it.

DR1665

Are you looking to just shift 100% of your racing to tarmac, then? If you had the D2 valved and tuned for gravel (rallyx), they might not perform as well on tarmac. I'm going to assume you've gotten out more than a few times already and want to make the car faster, but if you're looking to turn your back on rallyx, you might find adjusting your valving and spring rates (and maybe dialing in your brake balance) will help you attack the corners better, carrying more speed through the corners.

Of course, if you would still like to do the odd rallyx from time to time and are willing to compromise absolute tarmac performance in order to preserve the car's ability to get dirty and sideways, then maybe you DO want to set your sights on the engine. First thing I'd do is strap it on a dyno and have a look at the torque curve.

A rallyista once told me, "When you can turn entire laps without lifting, that's when it's time for more power." How often do you find yourself flat out and need longer legs? I'm only asking because I hate seeing people spend thousands again more before they truly tune the most important part of the race car - the driver. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Have you considered playing with intercooler/piping size? What about exhaust? I suspect you could do a lot of very interesting stuff just by playing with intake and exhaust piping. What if you had a 3" downpipe step down to 2.5" after the cat? What happens to your torque curve if you run 2.5" from the compressor outlet through the IC, but stepped back down to 2.0" after the BOV flange? See what I'm saying?

If your idea of racing demands more than peaky power and keeping the car straight for a few seconds at a time, you want torque and you want as much of it on tap across the tach as possible to pull yourself out of the corners. I think 272s would shift the powerband higher and cost you low- to mid-range torque. Finely tuned strut valving and spring rates, and dialed-in brakes, combined with a nice, fat torque curve should allow you to brake later, carry more speed through the apex, and pull away from the competition better.

My .o2.

cheekychimp

From what I have heard if you are still on the 16G I would either just get a 272 HKS exhaust cam or try the 264/272 combination.

matt92vr4

I'm genetically a drag racer, but I built an AEM 2.3stroker GT30R road race car for a guy once and I must admit I think it was the most fun car I've driven. I'd highly recommend this setup for you later on when you are ready to change.

Lukefraizer

Sorry about letting this just fall off. Yes I am wanting to go 100% road. I have been getting my butt kicked at work but I just started a new place and a guy I'm working with used to build evo's at a shop in Arizona. He was telling me how he had put the VVT from the 9 on a 6bolt block and how it works amazingly. The Valves in the shocks have already been changed over to track and spring rates are 400 rear and 500 front. If I need to switch them around I will. As for power I'm not looking to gain any. Just move it more steady and get more lower. 350 has a great feel to me and when I get the car lighter the corners will feel much better. I don't like not having any low end grunt. I'm wanting to run fairly low boost maybe around 20psi and running a bit more reliant on the motor itself. These are just all thoughts as well. E85 with a 10:1 2.3 stroker would give me way better numbers. I could just keep it high winding and keep the 2.0 and do some very high compression pistons. I have also been looking for control arms that the one lap guys are running and I can't seem to find them anywhere. Just got the new daily driver and am finally getting this puppy rolling

Luke

Lukefraizer

I know I had said get to 400hp but it has really has lost its importance to me. And driver gets the most criticism from me over anything in the car. No need to worry about that not being in constant check. I can honestly say I took the car to its max the last time I was at the track. Max grip through corners and if there was any down time between my foot on the brake or the gas I was giving myself a very hard time about it.

Luke

toybreaker

iconoclast
Luke,

Have you met Alvin yet?

That dude can flat get sh*t done at the track on all levels.

From vehicle preparation to driving, the dude has the total package.

... might be a good guy to bounce your ideas off.

He's not much of an internet guy (too busy doing sh*t to sit still in front of a computer)

If you'd like, I can introduce you, just send me a pm with your contact info.

DR1665

If John's looking to make an introduction, you should definitely take him up on it. I would.

Can't say I know the guy from Arizona that did the MIVEC head on the 6-bolt, but I know I saw a road racing Ebo at Firebird International for a NASA event a couple years back with the MIVEC head on it. sh*t like that kinda stands out, ya know?

Sounds like you've got a good idea where you want to take things. Keep us in the loop, mate.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned