The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Bazeng Update - VR4 +T51R SPL. - start up and idle video with new cams.

curtis

If the transfer case is fresh and has no slop should do fine. I would take a die grinder with a stone and de burr all the gear teeth edges to to take away any stress points. My buddy was talking to me about his gearbox in the evo and I told him to tear it down and we could do it. Well he pulled it down and found 5 teeth in a row on his ring gear about to crack off. This in a 550 hp street car.

As for axles I like lifetime guarantee ones from Autozone but the smarter route is the ones from the driveshaft shop and also the lightweight aluminum prop shaft they have. I so want one. Don't know if you've ever picked up a stocker but it damn heavy and 10 lbs of rotational is worth 100 lbs of dead weight loss which is a tenth. There one piece aluminum is 10 lbs lighter but is 850 dollars then the front axles are 1200 and the rears are 2K. 4K for axles for a fun toy isn't happening on mine but maybe later I'll look at maybe doing 930 axles and just making them work.

bazeng

Are there many stock drive shaft/axel dsms running into the nines?

if l don't have to do it, that'll suite me fine..

Adorsey

I have seen one myself. Had a chance to check out Raif's Galant at the track, and what looked to be stock, or a replacement axles, and drive shaft.
He ran a, 9.58 @ 145mph. I have to say that he had some pretty quick shifting for having no dash lights.

That clutch switch work out for you? Thats very interesting work. Id love to hear some results on that.

Thread is full of win /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

raif

Stock axles,t-case,drive shaft and rear-end will hold up with no problems on mid to low 9 sec galants or dsm's. The ones on my galant are all OEM even the tranny with over 100k on them. I went 9.0 in my talon with all stock drive train. I'm going to try and go in the 8's to see if they will hold up. You should have no problems as long as u run a good tire.

bazeng

UPDATE!

I have achieved a new pb!!

Here is a quick run down.

Car:
pump 93 fuel - full tank
Drove it to the track (1 hr away)
Drove it home
Tyre pressure 36psi (street pressure)
Run down the track as is on the street except for the added helmet and number plate block off.
Roll cage added since last heathcote run (11.08@132mph)
Manual shifting without any flat shift ecu - switching used
No launch control used

1st run -
no launch
SDC12941.jpg

2nd run -
no launch with dry ice
SDC12942.jpg

3rd run -
light launch with dry ice
SDC12943.jpg

I am very glad that the car is doing what it should be doing.
Still plenty more in her.

SDC12933.jpg

SDC12924.jpg

SDC12922.jpg

SDC12919.jpg

Last edited:

curtis

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif 10 SECOND CLUB on street tires. Congrats

You ran a 12 second run at 135.71. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif That's a low 10 second mph not low 12's.

Man a set of DOT slicks all around will be nasty. You got a mid to high 9 at 140+ with the right tires and car set on kill.

I want to see video's

RedTwo

Holy crap! A 'light' launch?! I think more right foot will be in order next time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
The 1600 (510) is for sale. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bazeng

Thanks guys!

I didn't want to break anything so launching was left till last!
Plus I wanted to get home so I didn't go for a last run... we all know what happens on the last run lol...

As for the 1600, that thing has a FJ20 in it. It was having issues with traction and also something with the steering rack.

Next time, I'm going for 1.6 60 footers!

Rausch

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif NICE Work man!

RedTwo

Dang, just updated the leaderboard - your MPH is better than Marks who ran a 10.24 on drag slicks AND N2O!

bazeng

Some pics of another attempt of racing the GVR4.

I ended up breaking the driveshaft unijoint.
It has been park since... poor thing...

Enjoy!

RedTwo

I don't think that's ment to be dragging on the ground like that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I guess those drive shaft loops are not so stupid afterall /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

IncorpoRatedX

beautiful car!

bazeng

I'm playing with the AMG at the moment and also tossing up whether to just bolt on a stock driveshaft and give it another go OR upgrade the transfercase + driveshaft then run it....

bazeng

I thought I'd update this thread....

So since the VR4 has been sitting since breaking the driveshaft.. I decided to hold off and buy a DSS driveshaft..
I have also decided to bolt on the spare turbo setup since I was offered a good price on the GT35R setup I had.

I honestly don't know if I made the right move BUT in saying that, I'll never know if I don't try..

(I've recently moved into my new house and also my wife just had our first baby.... lots of things happening... VR4 is being neglected)

The new garage!

The new driveshaft parts:

OEM MITSU UNI (hpoefully this one will not break!)

Bolt on DSS VR4 3.5" alloy drive shaft

GT35R setup removed

Old Turbo Setup (GT35R 1.06 / 6boost manifold / Tial V44) VS New Turbo Setup (Garrett T51R SPL TO4Z rear / Custom steam pipe manifold / Turbosmart V50 gate)

New Radiator setup (More clearance than my old custom cooler)

New Fuel System (Might go E85)

Dummy fit turbo:

Hot pipe fabrication:

Custom lines fitting:

Custom dump pipe fabrication / testing:

Wastegate fabrication (change position)

Polished cover

Slowly but surely..... I'm finding time to do an hour here and there with all the sleeplessness with the new baby etc.

To do list:
1. Match port exhaust manifold
2. Weld EGT fitting on manifold
3. Tig all parts once measured up and dummied
4. Heatwrap manifold / dump pipe
5. Re baffle rocker cover (pushing a bit of oil)
6. Dyno tune
7. Race

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts