The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Bazeng Update - VR4 +T51R SPL. - start up and idle video with new cams.

bazeng

Update:
17-07-2012

Some new bits:
- Moran 2350cc injectors
- EGT 4 channel kit
- Driveshaft hoop

Completed:
- Exhaust - dump pipe / screamer pipe / cat - fully tig welded.
- Exhaust manifold EGT bungs welded in.
- Exhaust manifold ports have been port matched to the head / gasket.
- Exhaust manifold heat wrap half done (not fun with the fibres flying around). The titanium wrap doesn't require water.
- Turbosmart PROGATE 50 disassembled and re-orientated to meet new hose fitting locations. Spring pressure is 17psi.

Still required:
- Die grind bits and pieces to clean up the exhaust internals after the mig / tig welding.
- Purchase more heat wrap
- Coat exhaust parts
- Heat wrap remaining exhaust parts
- Fit all parts
- Mount oil cooler
- Wire up EGT box to Motec SDL

Last edited:

GVR47111K

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

bazeng

OK Guys,

I've been a bit quite on the updates so here is a big one.

New MRE 235# injectors with adapter tops to convert the injectors from 14mm to 9mm (Standard Mitsubishi).

bazeng

Turbo oil and water lines:

I've always had issues getting my turbo return line to seal so I decided to make a brand new custom one.
The flange was cut by hand and made from thicker material.
Food grade stainless tube was used and welded to the -10 AN fitting to allow for connection to some braid which will act as the flex section.
Originally it was all braid but I couldn't get the angle right and it didn't look the best.
Quite happy with the final result.

bazeng

Turbo hot side pipe

The hot side is fabricated out of alloy.
It consist of 2.5" tube, Adel Wiggens clamp, Air temp sensor to the MOTEC Sports Dash Logger (Turbo air temp out) & Speedflow -4 AN fitting for waste gate pressure.

As you can see, not much length in the pipe.

bazeng

Heatshielding from exhaust

ACL heatshield used to protect the engine / vehicle loom / silicone hoses and braided hose from the heat of the exhaust.

bazeng

EGT sensor install

Following the instructions, EGT's had to be in the centre of the exhaust flow per runner.
I did this by leveling the manifold and using electrical tape to create a window in the ports.
Since the manifold had runners exiting at slightly different angles, this was the only way to get it right.
Holes were drilled, fittings were tig welded. Measurements were taken.
Everything cleared the studs & turbo.

My intention with the EGT was to monitor any type of injector failure when I go to E85. With all the E85 gunk stuff floating around, last thing I want is to lean out one cylinder.

The temps will be monitored by the MOTEC Sports Dash Logger. Main concern is that they are all withing 10 degrees of each other at WOT / full power.

The Motec SDL has the ability to output an alarm if temps go out of range. I'm yet to configure the SDL Alarms.

bazeng

Drive shaft hoop & transfer install

The drive shaft hoop wasn't a complete bolt on. The single hole were about 5mm's - 10mm's off which made it a pain because I had to open up the hole with a drill under the car as I didn't want to unbolt the xfer case etc. Apart from that it is a good piece of gear & very well made.

Xfer case is standard. I've got quite a few lying around. Hopefully this one holds up.
Clearances were checked and all is as good as can be.
I was going to open it fully up and debur/cryo the gears etc but honestly, if this breaks I'll just upgrade to a SHEP or PAR one with an upgraded output shaft.

bazeng

Exhaust completion

Home made in my garage with a gasless mig (tack welding) - dropped off to my friend who tig welded it for me.
Good thing with this is, the welding was all free!

What had happened was that my friend from MITSUBISHI called me stating that he had a customer who needed some VR4 parts urgently. His contact was provided and we got the ball rolling.
In exchange for these parts he would tig weld all my parts required. It took about 5 visits to complete the exhaust.
Who needs cash when you have the old school barter system?

As many of us know, most of the time in fabricating parts is the design and fitting of the part. I spent about 1-2 hours per night working on this exhaust.
All cuts were done by hand with a hacksaw (due to late night).
Very happy with the end result.

Specs are:
3.5" turbo out -> VBAND clamp - another VBAND clamp to allow for adjustment of angle -> to 3.5" flex pipe -> 3.5" to a 4" cone -> 4" VBAND clamp -> 4" hollow cat.

All heat wrapped in DEI titanium 2" wrap. I used about 150" ft of wrap.

2x o2 sensor bungs have been welded in (1 for LC-1 and the 2nd for the Autronic meter for dyno tuning).

Also the wastegate pipe has 2 options. I have a plumback option for the street and a screamer option for race.

Yet to fabricate the hanger for the race pipe option.

bazeng

Fuel system upgarde - e85 ready

I was planning to keep the fuel system as it was with the 044 BOSCH PUMP and complete the initial but thought F it.... might as well swap it.
I re utilized the surge tank and braided lines. I contemplated on upgrading the lines to telfon which is meant to be e85 safe but I have read that the braided rubber has worked for many. Plus my E85 tune will be for race only and unleaded pump will be for street.

The system consists of a walbro 255 pickup from the stock tank -> 1.5L alloy surge tank (-6 AN fittings), out to a -8 AN SX fuel filter -> out to a -8 AN fuel pump in -> SX 1000hp fuel pump -> -8 earls alloy tube -> -8 braided line to rail. Completed with a Magnafuel fuel pressure reg.

Note: the -6 olive crush fitting off the stock pump sender outlet. Previously I had a normal fitting which I didn't know at the time, had a small leak. This is a new item to SPEEDFLOW and it worked perfectly.
No more fuel leaks!! - mind you the fuel leak was very small. Almost like a fuel vapour leak only. I knew it was leaking because of the stain on the tank and lines when I removed the cover.

The boot fake floor and wall created out of cardboard to create a template. I then had sheet alloy cut out to spec and hand cut everything to fit. Once complete, finished it off with some CF wrap.

Personally think it looks great.
It also hides the battery which is not very pretty. I have a small battery charger lead that I can access without removing the cover.

Last edited:

bazeng

It finally came off jack stands yesterday and was driven outside next to my daily driven AMG Galant.

Sometimes I ask myself "why do I spend so much time working on these cars?"
This was one of the moments that made me realized why I did it. The satisfaction gained from seeing something you built actually doing what it should be with life and character. Next update - the tune!

FCR

Wow amazing job!!! Keep the good work!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

AnotherNewb

The compression to -an fittings that you used on your sending unit are awesome, where did you get those?

GVR47111K

Quoting bazeng:

Question: Did the USDM models come with that hide-away cubby or do I just need to spend more quality time with my trunk?

Also, Congrats on such an awesome build and congrats on making me feel like a horrible GVR4 owner. Here is a short speech I found that should motivate you into the nines: click.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned