The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Any serious interested parties?

Nate

I know this sounds like a for sale ad, which belongs in a different section, but really I just want to know if anyone has any interest in this car as a whole, or if I should consider parting it out. I'm looking for input. Thanks.

I'm sure I'll regret doing this at some point, just like I regretted selling the Mirage, but does anybody have any serious interest in this car?

The trans is currently broken, and it hasn't been inspected since 06. I only drove it to and from the track, which hasn't been but maybe once a year since 05.

I broke the 3-4 shift fork when I took it to Atco recently. I'm sure the clutch could be replaced. It's old school technology, so I don't want to hear how it doesn't have an AEM. It still ran 126 through the traps on a mixture of race and 9 month old pump gas, using the latest in engine management circa 1995.

There isn't any AC.
No power steering (manual rack).
All the windows work.
It's loud.
No cruise.
Bosch 044 pump
-8AN lines
ND720cc injectors
Garrett non-BB GT40
SFP manifold (yeah, I know)
3" turboback exhaust
16x8 bronze TE37s with 225/45/16 tires in good shape
HKS VPC
Apexi AFC
HKS EVC-EZ
6 point chromology roll bar with swingouts on both sides.
Harnesses are out of date.
AGXs/H&Rs, but I'd throw in the new DSS coilovers with it.
Engine has about 1000 miles on it, completely fresh stock rebuild.
HKS 272 exhaust, BC272 intake. (Have new BC272 exhaust in box that goes with car.)
Old Momo wheel.
Fidanza old flywheel.
ACT clutch that I'm sure needs to be replaced.
Buschur 3" cold air intake.
JMFab polished sheetmetal street intake
1G non turbo professionally rebuilt and blasted throttle body.
Adjustable fuel pressure regulator.
Tinted windows (obviously).
Car runs like an ape when it runs, and when the turbo spools. Turbo is too big for a 2.0 on the street, in my opinion, but then again, I didn't use it as a daily driver.
Shifter cables were replaced within the last 5K miles.
Clutch pedal assembly replaced.
Still has full leather interior.
#1047.

I've had this car since I was 18, in 1992. I've had it for half of my life. However, getting to use it once a year is getting harder to justify. If someone wants it, and offers me a decent price, I'll let it go. I could use the money for other things.

Is it worth trying to sell as a whole, or should I just part it out and hope that someone wants the chassis?

Thanks for your input.

Nate

curtis

Nate alot of old school DSM/GVR4 guys remember seeing the car and knows whos car it is on sight. It will be a damn shame to put it under the axe, please don't do it. There's mods that can be done to spool it up faster and with a better tune on current technology will probably pick up 10 miles and hour. My advice, load it up on the trailer and head towards the shootout. I really bet the car wouldn't be going home with you.

464/2K

Nate, don't. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

TWEAKD4

This is a sad day. If it wasn't for Nate and this car GVR4's would not have the interest they have today. Good luck Nate.

IncorpoRatedX

if you part out, only part out performance, keep the rolling chassis intact.

curtis

Man if you can't make it to the shootout have anyone that goes just pin up signs every where that it will be on ebay starting on a certain date.

ktmrider

Man it's total shame that these kind of posts have to come up.

Like mentioned you have one of the "original" halo cars and memberships. #86 has been languishing in the FS section for months, one of the better daily drivers IMHO out there however the boy racer/DSM crowd we attract these days wants to pay fecking zilch whole or running. They buy for squat, put a few thou into the car w/o ever getting it running, then pass the hacked up mess to the next unsuspecting spode.

Ok, enough of the Asahi ramble ( 1025PM here in Japan ). Try if at all possible to keep her together, someone WILL buy her!

BoostedAWD91

I know you have been thinking about this off and on for awhile Nate but i really think you should keep this!! This car is history and one of a kind and definatly shouldn't be parted out. I really hope you decide to keep it. If i could afford another car id buy it to keep it around.

cheekychimp

Nate what would you be looking to get if you sold it? I know this isn't the for sale section but whilst people will often express an interest simply because the car is what it is, price unfortunately will dictate if anyone is actually willing to buy it.

I'm not saying that to low ball you, I'm saying it to help you decide honestly whether you should consider parting it out. What ktmrider said is sad but also true; often it is only by parting cars out that you can ever relinquish anywhere near their true value.

It's a shame though because the solid base of that car would require minimal investment/changes to make it a usable daily driver or a dedicated track car. In fact with a bit of thought and maybe some work to make changing setups easier it could do both.

Last edited:

Sounds like this is a very special car maybe someone "hint hint Curtis" should enlighten us newer guys as to the history and significance of this car versus any other vr4. I may know someone who is interested but what makes this car so special. Maybe that would generate some more interest in the car?????

Quoting curtis:
Nate alot of old school DSM/GVR4 guys remember seeing the car and knows whos car it is on sight. It will be a damn shame to put it under the axe, please don't do it. There's mods that can be done to spool it up faster and with a better tune on current technology will probably pick up 10 miles and hour. My advice, load it up on the trailer and head towards the shootout. I really bet the car wouldn't be going home with you.

Last edited by a moderator:

curtis

Back before you younger guys even knew what these cars were and before the age of the interweb there was magazines and stories of races that others saw when they went out of there area for stuff like the Buschur shootout. I saw camcorder videos of Nate' and Harry's old car long before I ever had a VR4 when my buddies first had DSM's when they were still new. My buddies started with DSM's back in 92 93 and even one was an original owner of a VR4 but blew it up and it was repo'd because he didn't have the money to fix it. He was sporting 21+psi with stock injectors and a 150 shot. Went ballistic on I-65 with an impala ss and melted not just the pistons but the bore between 2 and 3 . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif If I remember correctly the Maroon car had the fastest VR4 in the world title for a while. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As for liking to have it yes I would because of the history of it but I got enough problem trying to get mine put back together. Seems likes parts getting shipped out take 1st priority, then buddies needing help along with house and daddy duties the car is always in last place.

Nate I'm sure you have pictures or scans of the old magazine shots so maybe you need to post them up.

Ian M

This is one of the cars that got me interested in GVR4s way back in the day too. It was the first in the 11's as I recall,and fastest GVR4 what seemed like forever. For that matter,it was one of the fastest street driven imports out there in the mid to late '90s.

Later I remember being stoked to see it featured in Turbo. I still have that issue somewhere. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sorta sad to see this post...I'd have a hard time getting rid of a car I've had that long,but life and prioritys eventually take over. Good luck in whatever you decide to do with it.

BoostedAWD91

Yes it did hold the fastest vr4 title for awhile back in the day. I remember seeing this car back in its glory days at josh Jones place before I even knew what it was

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned