The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Question about cams

CarRacer

I'm trying to gather information on the next upgrade path for my car. I was thinking about cams as I'd like to install the 3G lifters I never put in my engine. The problem is that I'm keeping my car a street driven 16G car for a couple years and don't want to kill the lower end of the engine.

My thinking is to try a 264 cam in the exhaust and run the stock one on the intake side. It won't be a monumental gain but it should help out a little bit.

Thanks for any input.

Polish

I too was thinking of this, anyone ever try it?

2of9

what about the 264/272 option? I'm more of a mid-top end guy and I'm planning to get 272s next year with a evo3 turbo. I've read that the 264s will help quite well with a tune though.

CarRacer

That's a popular combination but it also doubles the cost. I tried searching for a while on google for the stock/264 combo and couldn't find anything. That's why I'm asking if it's worth it or it's better to spend the extra money and go with the 264/272.

prove_it

I'm using an hks 264 exhaust cam with a stock intake cam. It works great, it's cheap and helps. I had it on my stock engine and it was better but not great. When I rebuilt my engine, I put in some really sweet valves and ported and polished my head and it flows very very good. I really don't think I need a bigger intake cam than stock now. I like it cause it idles amazing.

Lonewolf64

I have the HKS 264/264 combo. If you look at dyno graphs comparing stock, 264/264, and 264/272 combos, the 264/264 combo gives you the most useable power under the curve on a 16g street car. I have never regretted my choice. The car pulls a lot harder than it did stock with no huge drop off at 6k like you see on stock cams.

Also, the car idles almost like stock.

prove_it

My curve doesn't drop off, it just levels out and stays level to 8200. but I put a lot of head work into it. I wonder what a 264 intake would do? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

uncleben4rice

Stop being cheap and spend some money on the cams, any cams are better than no cams at all, even on a little 16g car. I ran 272/272 with a small 16g, I was told by my tuner that I could have run the 272/264 combo and that my DD would see almost no difference, however if I decided to upgrade to a bigger turbo he preferred the 272/272 combo. Cams woke my car up period. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The Uncle has spoken.
All the fast guys here have cams of some sort. Hmmm should I buy some cams? duh

Olson

go big or go home
im running bc 280/280 stovck valve train 8k rev limit. 8k miles have been loged on them and they are sweet.

4thStroke

All the fast guys run cams?

Ive seen a 16G equiped car run 10s on stock cams, many times, all the way down to 10.6.

You should really stop refering to yourself as "The Uncle" at the end of your posts. We can see you are uncleben.

turbowop

Quoting uncleben4rice:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blah.gif

If there were a douchebag competition, you and Kanye West would tie for first place. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

The Wop has spoken.

I feel retarded just writing that as a joke. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

4thStroke

Hey, I saw what you did there.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

The stroke has spoken.

f***, you're right Mark, I feel a bit homo after that one.

Last edited:

Olson

Quoting turbowop:
Quoting uncleben4rice:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blah.gif

If there were a douchebag competition, you and Kanye West would tie for first place. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

The Wop has spoken.

I feel retarded just writing that as a joke. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

lol i cant stop laughing at this. man i need to go talk to "the uncleben" sometime

Hertz

Staff member
Quoting 4thStroke:

Ive seen a 16G equiped car run 10s on stock cams, many times, all the way down to 10.6.

Slips or it didn't happen.

boostedinaz

Quoting uncleben4rice:
Cams woke my car up period. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Yeah he went from mid to low 14's with just a cam upgrade. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Quoting uncleben4rice:
All the fast guys here have cams of some sort. Hmmm should I buy some cams? duh

So let me get this straight, your advice is to listen to the guys going fast, yet when you had questions you did the exact opposite. You are a strange guy for sure.

atc250r

Staff member
A set of "mild" cams like 264's or 272's will broaden your power band and to a certain extent move it upward. Going too big (like I did when I put in BC 280's) will make more power up top but it might be too much of a loss on the bottom for some of us in a street car. When I put in my first set of cams (HKS 264's) the power increase was very noticeable, especially the way the motor pulled harder and further up top.

FWIW, Joe Bucci went 10.8 on a 14B with no NOS so does that mean all of us with big turbo's have wasted our money if we are going slower than that?

John

I know a lot of guys with the 264/272 combo and it works.. I went with 272/272 on my 11 sec EVO..

4thStroke

Quoting Hertz:
Quoting 4thStroke:

Slips or it didn't happen.

Is video good enough?

click

And the thread on Tuners about it.

click

*EDIT* Whoops! Its has HKS 272s. Looks like the HKS 272s and Evo 16G are all you need to run 10s. That must be why the uncle is so slow! Lucas doesnt even have an intercooler!

Last edited:

uncleben4rice

OKay WOP im gonna come up north and wop your cars ass next summer. Keep talking. And for all you other busters out there who want some of the new and improved GT35r, big dick, turbo packing Uncle come and get it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif. I am ready. The car aint slow no mo...Batches. I only had to spend another $3,000 on the POS

Should have time slips soon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif.

The Uncle has spoken aw yea./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned