The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Cold Weather Behavior: Now more serious!

belize1334

I've thought about it, but the problem is that as the temps drop, any battery subjected to those temps looses capacity and won't provide the ultimate energy needed to be effective. You can offset this with a battery warmer, but if that runs off the same source than you draw more ultimate energy which negates the savings of keeping the battery warm. I just think that any mobile power source that serves as a cold weather heater is going to be grossly underpowered. Even a 150W heater running for 3 hours is gonna need 450W.Hr and that's a tall order from a cold battery especially considering that as the battery drains the voltage drops making the heater less effective.

As for the lower rad hose heater, it sounds alot like the non-circulating units I've seen which is why I'd ultimately like to see a picture to confirm. Also, after some research I prefer the heater hose option as it concentrates on the block where the rad hose option concentrates on the radiator. Lastly, it seems that all the uber-cold weather diesel guys have ultimately come around to the feeling that if you're only gonna have one solution, the oil pan heater is the best and I can get an adhesive 150W heater for $30 or a magnetic 200W for $50.

belize1334

Well it's official. Good cold weather antifreeze and M1 0W30 make for EASY cold starting down to at least -10F with no signs of hesitation. The engine barely even rattles at startup. I have to admit, I was skeptical while researching and comparing pouring temperatures and relative viscosities but I have to say, it's made all the difference in the world. I'll still probably get an oil pan or coolant heater but the crisis has passed. She fires up easy and runs quiet and smooth.

Ive been having cold starting problems here in Grand Forks ND. The temp was -10 for a few days, and I havent been able to start the car since. It gets stored outside, and still has 10- or 15w-40. Its due for a change, and my lazy ass didnt do it before the temps really dropped. If I change it to 0w-30, is there a chance it will start?

It cranks over, so the battery is good although probably low voltage by now after my cranking it for a couple days. I hoped 10 degreee weather was warm enough to fix the problem by itself. It isnt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I had the same problem last year, and the weather had to warm up above freezing before the bitch started again. Heres to learning from our own mistakes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif.

Is there a chance water in the fuel is frozen somewhere? I added some HEET after it wouldnt start, but thats probably worthless at this point. If the oil change doesnt work, maybe I could jack it up and use a propane heater (NOT an open flame) along the fuel line?

belize1334

I had the same trouble. After attempting to start it a few times in the bitter cold I tried again on a warmer day and it just wouldn't go. I had to have a friend jump start it and even then it took a while with me cranking it and holding the accelerator down. Not sure why but it's harder to start after a few failed attempts in cold whether.

Make sure that you let the battery get a good charge on it and then have somebody jump start you so that the battery doesn't get pulled down again cause it might take a while. Once you get it going let it warm up and then change to a lighter weight oil. After that it'll probably be fine but BE AWARE that even the best battery is sorely tested when it gets down into the negative digits.

2of9

Coldest it's been in MN was last week if I remember correctly. It was surely at least -15(f) one of the days last week and 808 started up well. still on 10w30, stock sized battery and 50/50 radiator coolant/water.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned