The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Fuel Tank Problem

when i bought my vr4 the PO had taken out the OEM gastank and replaced it with a fuel cell in the trunk since he was trying to make it a drag car, but now im making it my DD. so my question is can i buy regular old 91 non-turbo model tank and install it or do i need to get a VR-4 model since the rear ends are differnt with the 4WS, and AWD? for now i have a plymouth laser RS tank sitting inside my trunk and i need to fix this problem before she is up & running.

EHmotorsports

Any pics of the fuel cell instal? It may be easyer to make the cell work depending on how extensive the instal is.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
You need one from a VR4 or a Galant GSX.

Quoting EHmotorsports:
Any pics of the fuel cell instal? It may be easyer to make the cell work depending on how extensive the instal is.

I don't have pics with me, sorry! But I can tell you the PO cut out the spare tire wheel well and had a 7-8 gallon plastic fuel cell just sitting in the trunk not connected to anything. Since this will be my DD and I have a 15 month old son I would rather not have my tank in the trunk so I can have extra room for his stroller & for anything else I want to store in my trunk (plus it stinks of gas in my interior when I fill up)

Quoting iceman69510:
You need one from a VR4 or a Galant GSX.

So I can also use a galant GSX w/o any modifications? I'm sure it would be easier finding a GSX fuel tank rather then the VR-4. What year car can I get it from 89-93? Thanks a lot you guys rock!

rexwagon1909

I have a great gas tank with sending unit and walbro installed excellecent shape minus small dent. I have all fuel lines as well. Your in PA I'm in WV let me know if you need it

citymunky

Really? I would think a Galant GSX would be hard to find also. They are worth less than $1000, most are most likely scarp metal by now.

I can only count 4 E33A I seen in person (3 being at the junk yard) and nether of them were a GSX.

Quoting rexwagon1909:
I have a great gas tank with sending unit and walbro installed excellecent shape minus small dent. I have all fuel lines as well. Your in PA I'm in WV let me know if you need it

PM sent, thank you so much!

Quoting citymunky:
Really? I would think a Galant GSX would be hard to find also. They are worth less than $1000, most are most likely scarp metal by now.

I can only count 4 E33A I seen in person (3 being at the junk yard) and nether of them were a GSX.

Oh indidnt know they are scarce like that, I Thought the VR-4 would of been a harder find with the limited numbers imported to the US. That's the "noob" coming out of me. Haha well ya learn something new everyday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

curtis

Well before you get the tank in you also need to seal up the hole that was cut with a flat piece of steel/aluminum and not just a few screws either. I personally would rivet it in and use that high speed seem sealer stuff body shops use. Its two tubes in one and uses a special gun and mixes as it comes out. When tested the metal will actually rip apart before the bond will break. You not need gas fumes or exhaust getting inside.

In response to
Poster: curtis
Subject: Re: Fuel Tank Problem

Well before you get the tank in you also need to seal up the hole that was cut with a flat piece of steel/aluminum and not just a few screws either. I personally would rivet it in and use that high speed seem sealer stuff body shops use. Its two tubes in one and uses a special gun and mixes as it comes out. When tested the metal will actually rip apart before the bond will break. You not need gas fumes or exhaust getting inside.

Ya I know, It's #1 on my list after I get the motor all figured out.I actually have a Laser RS for a parts car so I'm going to cut out a section of that trunk and weld it back in. I planned on just giving it a bunch of nice thick tack welds all around & then filling it with some sort of sealer like you said or maybe I'll just totally weld it 100% around the edges... That seem sealer your talking about sounds like some serious stuff.

curtis

Yea but I think the stuffs serious expensive like 50 a tube or something. Not cheap but works.

JNR

Why not just use a good gasket? Good enough to seal 150-900 psi piping joints (flanges) so would be sufficient for gas vapors; granted those are 1/8" thick and the flanges are pretty thick too, but gaskets work well...just be sure both surfaces are flat and thick enough to not warp; don't use useless sheet metal screws though. Or, if you're creative, could use an o-ring and subsequent bolting for a leak proof seal.

That's not a bad idea either, it never crossed my mind to try that lol. I'll prob just use some sort of sealer though cause I got a few cans laying around the house. When I get it all figured out & finished up I'll be sure to take pictures and post them here. Then after that I'll need to find some trunk carpeting since the PO also trashed that along with many other things! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

JNR

The nice thing is (if I'm thinking of this correctly on the hole) you're not submerging it in gasoline, so most any sealer *can* work, even RTV...BUT, being we're talking about vapors I'd use something as good as possible, but it's going to be the fastening part that will determine leaking more than the sealer; meaning you could have the best sealer or gasket/o-ring in the world, but without sufficient fastening (sandwiching) and flat/thick (enough) surfaces, it'll leak. You may be alright in a static situation by applying it in between and all around, but being there are so many movements, vibrations and cycles in the car(s), it may or may not hold. Vapors are tricky to keep in vs. liquids sometimes, due to their nature.

Yes your 100% right, it may be a little trickier then I originally thought! I'm sure I can figure something out once I start to make a game plan.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned