The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

909/1000 Build thread

jeverts

And Motor is in the car. Next is our lead fabricator is getting it (who I am pretty sure is a wizard) to do his magic on the exhaust and intake. I have 2 interesting ideas for manifold and turbo set ups. Either reverse top mount or....If I can figure something out with the radiator...front facing.

10848322_1519265048355661_2141293938_n.jpg

jeverts

I have been hearing that people have overheating issues with going with a civic half radiator. Even with the triple core ones.

transparentdsm

this is true as i had the same issue with my civic half rad, but i thought i was having issue because im at 7000 feet, i daily drove the car and i changed elevation constantly. i would only overheat when i was under constant load driving over a pass. once i got to the top of the pass it would drop right away and if i hammered on the throttle while on level ground it wouldn't overheat. so if this is a race car i don't think youll have thank much of an issue, if your going to daily it then you may be right about overheating issues.

GSX_TC

Those are Jdm GLASS headlights with painted black housings just like on my car. The only plastic on them is the backs.

TurboTurtle

I have one if you need it. Stock trim off 1388. Text me @518.469.8663

Also love the KG. and the way your build is turning out!

minneSNOWta

That second design is very interesting.

EHmotorsports

if its what i think it is. it should eliminate any restriction at the throttle shaft as there would be nothing.

jeverts

Correct. The problem I would run into is all the vac lines that are built into the plenum on a normal intake...I may look into building a vac tank to come off of it somewhere to take care of that.

fuel

individual throttle bodies work well in N/A applications where you are trying to squeeze every last bit of HP out, but on turbo applications a normal single throttle body is fine surely. The throttle plate and shaft aren't that much of a restriction if you move up to a larger sized throttle body. I can't help but think there was a reason Mitsubishi opted to use a smaller diameter throttle body on the turbo engines than the N/A engines.

jeverts

Quote:
individual throttle bodies work well in N/A applications where you are trying to squeeze every last bit of HP out, but on turbo applications a normal single throttle body is fine surely. The throttle plate and shaft aren't that much of a restriction if you move up to a larger sized throttle body. I can't help but think there was a reason Mitsubishi opted to use a smaller diameter throttle body on the turbo engines than the N/A engines.

There is a lot more work involved with the barrel throttle body design and more money that would need to be invested with it, so I may scrap that idea and stick with a traditional intake. I may design a throttle body with the barrel to mount in the stock location later on just because I like the no restriction at WOT. I am waiting for tax return time to order material for this. I also have designs for a bunch of other things and I know the Galant page on facebook was begging me to make (Sending units) I will post more up when I have time to maybe do some production runs of stuff and sell them.

EHmotorsports

ITB's will help with throttle response so there would be other benefits over max hp. But I can't see any ill effects other that tuning that would be a concern.

jeverts

The only thing that I would be worried about is part throttle, But as you said it's probably something that tuning can take care of.

EHmotorsports

SD seems to work well with part throttle as long as you have a good vac source running behind each throttle body to a distribution block. A vacuum canister should help limit the effect on the map sensor when hitting the brakes if you decided to stick with a brake booster. But ITB's do require you to lock the WB o2 for initial tuning.
You will most likely have to spend time adjusting the throttle tip in (comparable to an Accelerator pump on a carburetor). The results of ITB's are rewarding on a properly working setup but it just adds more complication to tuning.

jeverts

I am planning on driving it. Not daily but I would like it to still drive some what decent. Here is a question would I have to run vac lines off of just one runner or would I have to run a line off of every runner?

EHmotorsports

you would have to run one line off of each runner to get the best vacuum. then run any of your sensors,brake booster and related off of the distribution block. or you can have an additional runner/balance tube that connects to the underside of the runners to make it look cleaner. then run a nipple off the side of the rail for the booster and all other fittings can be attached to the middle portion under the intake for a clean look.
But that is up to you as I can see you are having fun with software that I would love to have access to haha.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned