The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

501 is officially under the knife...

Street Surgeon

Soooooo the time has come to transfer most of the goodies from my deceased Talon on over to the Galant, yesterday gaylant and a few other friends helped me yank out the old 250,xxx mile motor and it's time now for something new /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Even my pops swung on in for a bit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

More pics to come and I'll update the mod list in my rides thread but suffice it to say that she's gonna be a whole different beast!

GSX_TC

Reminds me of 503 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Street Surgeon

Here's a quick shot of the motor as it sits, I have to replace the oil filter housing and tidy a bit up buuuut...

Street Surgeon

Soooo quite a bit has happened since the last time I posted here. We were able to install the motor, clutch/flywheel combo, trans, new mounts, bulfab bar with north/south bars, tcase, etc. The driveshaft was rebuilt with all new oem carrier bearings, ujoints, and yoke. The rear end was rebuilt as well, the exhaust was installed, and the koyo evo 3 radiator came in. Next I'll send it to the shop so they can make an intercooler pipe that will play nice with the FP3575 and ETS kit, it'll be a tight squeeze but I'm confident it will all fit. Once that's done I'll have to figure out a fan setup (probably a few super strength pushers in front of the AC condenser), wire in some guages, get the oil cooler situated and viola.

Edit>>> Oh, and we also were able to remove cruise control, eliminate power steering, goodbye cruise control etc.

Here's a teaser or two.

Oh, and this finally came in from the land down under!

Last edited:

blacksheep

Corey:

1) Bullfab bar actually fit with no issues/hacking etc?
2) What exactly needs to be done to fit that Evo 3 Koyo Rad? Some says longer stilts below or move the lower mounts up high. Other say new top bracket or position. Any pics of how you made it fit?
3) Did you do driveshaft yourself?

Thanks, man!

Last edited:

Street Surgeon

1. The bulfab bar needed no additional hacking/tweaking, my bulfab was the GVR4 specific unit and it fit without any modification, the north-south bar that goes under the oilpan does however run DIRECTLY under the oil drain but it's just one bolt to drop it so no worries there. The only disappointment was that the front roll stop was a little thinner than the GVR4 bracket that bolts to the block, but we zipped it together with an impact and it's fine now.

2. The Koyo evo 3 radiator came to my house about an hour ago, I unboxed it and dropped it right in, it's about an inch or so shorter than an OEM unit and the core is 53mm thick. To put that in perspective, here are some measurements I took minutes ago with a cheapy mic.

OEM Radiator:
End Tank top/bottom: 55mm
Core: 34mm

Koyo Radiator
End Tank top/bottom: 61mm
Core: 53mm

I'll probably rig a set of spacers up for the bottom to bring it up an inch but it does fit right in without any problems. After looking at it a bit more closely, I even think there'll be plenty of room for a large spal fan in the stock location, time will tell but it lookst like I might be able to get away with the stock a/c fan and a large puller in the stock (passenger side) location!

3. I bought all the parts and brought it to a drive shaft shop here in town, IIRC they charge me $90.00 to disassemble, reassemble with all the parts, and then balance it.

Last edited:

blacksheep

Thanks so much for the detailed response. The Koyo is on my list fasho. I will be trying to run stock fans. I don't plan on a big turbonium etc - the Evo 3 16G I have or maybe, maybe the FP68HTA if I run into money...LOL

I am pulling my DS out shortly and figuring out who I can have re-build it. For that price, do they bling it all up - new paint etc - Mine has surface rust spots etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. I want that sucka looking like new /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Also FP has the green on sale for 999 for those looking...good deal!

Last edited:

Street Surgeon

No problem,

The stock puller fan won't work, well.... Maybe with a stock footprint turbo but I doubt it, I'll give you more info when I can but the stock puller is pretty big. As far as the drive shaft goes, they didn't bling it up at all, I just scuffed it a lil' bit when I got it back and threw a quick sloppy coat of high endurance semi gloss black on it. I actually have a DSM68HTA with about 400ish miles on it sitting around in the garage, the compressor wheel got a lil' chewed up but I should really send it in and have them fix it all up. Personally I'd recommend you get the green all day over the 68hta!

BluFalcon

I'm using this fan: FAL Civic Fan in my car. Fiberglass body, shrouded and almost bolts up with a little trimming of the mounting brackets and rewiring. I'm using a stock size 2 Row GVR-4 radiator, but it should work with your EVO3 radiator.

More info and pics on page 1 and 2: Turbowop Fan Thread

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned