The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1722/2000 burn victim rescue

fuel

be careful with filling over the join under the tail lamps - this area flexes with the chassis and you'll find bondo over that joint will crack over time.

GSXftw

So yeah my eyes were playing tricks on me...The quarter was right the first time. So I took the bondo back down, more primer surfacer.

Then I did a final bit of sanding everywhere and got it ready for spray

I waited until early in the morning when conditions would be better and got to it

The clear activator I was using was slow, 85*+ it wasnt quite hot enough for that, so when I was laying it down thick enough not to orange peel, I got a few runs. Not the end of the world, itll all buff out, just more work for me.

At this point, gonna move the car out and do the rear bumper and trunk lid. After that it can all go together. All for now, thanks

Last edited:

transparentdsm

looks great. cant wait to move to klamath and be able to hang out and see this car in person. i did some research and its only and hour and 20 minutes to medford and im already in love with the roads out there.

GSXftw

Yeah, K falls is actually where I go for most of my pick n pull parts...their prices are great and selection is good, they had the black VR4 that I got all my body panels off of.

So my offerings this time around... I had some runs on the right quarter, and I knew they'd be a bit of a pain on not breaking through sanding them down, so I had to reclear a bit on the sharp edges. I waited until I was actually painting something to do this part. I got to work on the trunk lid.
NOTE THE DENT

I pulled most of it out

Scuffed it

Primer sealer

and the base/clear. I did the fuel door as well.

So I'll do the top of the trunk lid next, the bumper which I have pretty well sanded out, and I think I can start cutting/buffing and assembly then. Im so ready for this thing to be done...My daily is my supra which is a hot tin can, and a 13 sec car gets boring after a while, I just wanna go fast!

GSXftw

Trunk lid stuff tonight. Worked over the dent

Primer surfacer

I wanted to sand this down and do at least primer sealer tonight, but the surfacer was taking too long to dry, didnt wanna chance hitting it too early and messing it up. So, until tomorrow

GSXftw

I didnt realize until now how big the rear bumper is...So much surface area...so many nooks and crannies... ug... Prepped all that out along with the spoiler.

Primer sealer

Continued to work on the trunk lid while that dried...was fighting fisheye a bit but its coming out

GSXftw

My daily thread bump lol. I light sanded parts of the sealer with 800, sprayed base, then I ran out of clear, at the worst possible time (money wise) if this talon doesn't sell soon Im gonna be in trouble. If anyone wants this clean ass Talon please give me a holler! I literally took change back, and arranged for college book buybacks so I was able to pick up more clear. The good news is that I have medium activator, that is more suitable for my conditions! I was stuck with slow, 85*+ activator, which would run if I ever laid it on the way I wanted. The bumper turned out pretty awesome, Im thinking by the time Im done I will be sick of bodywork, (since I already am now) but a much better painter with what I've learned on this one. Heres some pics

Thats all for now, take care.

GSXftw

Prospray/valspar

GSXftw

So I made some progress, but I still feel like this update is full of fail. I wanted to make the deadline of getting the car running for our cruise week stuff, wasnt trying for finished, just running/driving, so went nuts trying to get friends together to make it happen, then came to grips that it couldn't. Once the trunk lid was painted, I didnt like how the wing turned out, it was short on clear in spots, so I recleared it. Then started assembly, put the wing on the trunk lid, put the LED bar back in, tail lights in, weatherstripping, trunk springs (ug that sucked ass) then I trailered it to the shop. From there I installed the rear bumper, and despite not touching it for a day after paint, it managed to get a couple nicks when the paint was still soft apparently. Pretty pissed about that one. I didnt take a lot of pics cause it was just go go go for a few days.

Then started cutting out glass

Had little man helping for fathers day

I took off the fuel pump hanger, installed the 255 hp, the flare fitting was rusted bad enough that I just cut the feed line, flared each end, and did a section of fuel injection hose/clamps.

Then I wired in the rear harness. Some got solder, some got heatshrink butt connectors once I got lazy. I was 99% sure the harness came from a 91 VR4, but the colors werent looking exactly right, some colors were repeated more than once, so I had my doubts on it being right. The results of all these wires going together was....absolutely nothing! Nothing worked at all. No lights, no fuel pump, gas gauge, blinkers, brake lights, nothing. I troubleshooted a little and checked fuses/relays, and saw power going back to the connections on the harness for the green/white wire for parking lights, which was the same color for all the rear parking lights, but just saw no power. Im gonna have to test continuity on each component Im wiring in (fuel pump, lights, etc) and go the extra mile to make sure its right. I thought I could get lucky and just match color to color from what I thought was the same car, but nope. Went back to the hot wire for the fuel pump and parked the thing for the night. Thats all for now, hope everyone had a good fathers day.

Last edited:

fuel

maybe it's missing a ground somewhere?

GSXftw

I expected something major like that for it to just not have anything work, first thing I jumped to was fuses/relays, they are good but I wasnt seeing power at the actual tail lights when I had them on, I checked a few grounds and they were good. Was limited on what I could do since the batteries in the DVOM were dead, and I was pretty butthurt at the time so just jumped onto other things for now... I moved to the front, and had to "unstock" more things /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif This car sure is taking forever, but at least it will be anything but stock when its done! First thing was install and wire the other pusher fan, and pop the grill in, after that is me taking out the stock GVR4 headlights, pulling the HIDs out of my 1Gb dsm housings, putting them into 93 Galant housings, and installing.

There were a few burnt out corner lights, so I popped in some LEDs in place

One side for comparison. The phone makes them look a lot more blue than they really are, they're 55w ballasts with 6k bulbs.

That was it for tonight, obviously not a priority but I guess I needed to feel like I accomplished something before dealing with this rear harness some more. Thanks for reading!

GSXftw

Oh yeah, havent had to push the car since December. Check page 2, its got some stuff

GSXftw

+100... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

GSXftw

Of course! I dont have the 2150s for nothing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It will be on pump gas at first to get rollin, because Im just on a 255hp I had on the shelf, but will go to the walbro 450 once the money is there.

GSXftw

So my Talon is selling, I had to wash it for the new owner. Figured I would go ahead and wash the front of the GVR4 too and get some pics together. It was SOOOO bad!

That moment youre washing your car but the ground looks like youre wet sanding! haha

Its nice to have two running 4G63s...even if only one drives.

Itll be nice to give this thing a good cut/buff/polish when its all said and done. I know it will clean up nice and should match the new to old paint pretty well.
After that I helped my buddy pull his engine out. It had seen some better days.

Always have an oil light is the moral of this story. Oil filter worked its way loose and it geysered out. All for now! Take care

GSXftw

Big things tonight! First of all, the 2G is gone to a good home, and my summer stimulus package is in effect!
So I bought some windshield polyurethane, scraped all the old glue off the old window, and glued that thing in. Next, I installed the trunk lid. Unfortunately, even with the springs put to their higher setting hole (I imagine its spoiler vs not) they dont hold the trunk lid up. I'll look into if they are put in right, but when I tried turning them around from left to right it just seemed wrong. So then... was all the lighting that has been giving me troubles for the last few nights. Was getting very frustrated since it just seemed like nothing worked... I started back on it once the trunk lid was on and actually lit up with parking lights. Well I feel kinda dumb for saying this...but I missed the plug down by the ABS box for the harness at that point. I saw it before and kept passing it off as power antenna (dont have anymore) but no it was important for my sanity apparently. So plugged in, parking lights worked, and fuel gauge worked! What still didnt work was fuel pump (I have been using a wire straight from the battery to get in/out the shop) blinkers. For these, its just a matter of having the identical color wires wrong... There are 2 bl/wh large gauge wires, and 2 gr/l wires. Switched those are we were happening! Did LEDs for the license plate lights, tidy'ed up the rear harness one last time....AAAHHHHH

I got the door courtesy lights working, then I even had some time to start running the wires for the amp. Have I mentioned this thing is gonna have a mean ass system? So yeah... running 00ga wire, patch cables, etc all through the door sill areas. Got the trunk to latch but still need to get lock cylinders matched on everything. Next step will be doing the fuel pump rewire to 10ga, then I can actually just start working my way forward of vacuum, and install carpet/interior. I no longer need a tarp, or a hard wire from battery to fuel pump! I feel like that is a giant accomplishment, so much so that I took the key and put it on my keychain with the rest so it left with me, since someone could actually drive this thing away now! Heres how shes looking.
-Note trunk wasn't latched here

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned