The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1722/2000 burn victim rescue

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Was the donor car a GSX/VR4? It looks at first glance like an AWD trunk floor. If not, the bumper mounts are different.

If you are keeping ABS and need any of those parts from the trunk area, I have some spares.

Last edited:

GSXftw

It was a VR4, they took all the badges off and I don't think the junkyard even knew what they had

thomcasey

Sure they do. I have an S5, and I have a deep purple one with the Mitsubishi cover. They make them for the S3, S4 and S5.

Misubishi tough cover

GSXftw

Did some work on this thing finally, and have a plan for the build... First, pull the engine that has a bad bottom end...

And the plan for the engine.... Well it has to do with my main DSM, my 1G gsx... I have 2500 miles on a stock bottom end 2G piston 6 bolt, and after it reaches 500whp which it definitely will, will be tempting fate a lot for breakage... Soooooo... Im doing a forged/balanced engine for that one, and the VR4 will be getting this very fresh build Ive been running. Should save a lot of time since turning this engine over by hand that came out feels absolutely terrible, it has to be spun very badly...Ill just keep it as a spare, always need spares /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif
I ordered a walbro 190 for it, at this time just been going full speed on getting my 1G where it needs to be so it can outgrow its stock bottom and donate it to the galant. Thanks for reading, hopefully the speed on this picks up here soon

4g63mightymax

This is an awesome build! It's awesome bringing cars back from certain death. Keep up the fantastic work, and if you need any other oddball stuff for the rear of the car, I may have it.

holeshotmoe

Wow, what a project! You might already be beyond this, but watching the vacuuming vid made me wonder if a pressure washer might speed up cleaning.

GSXftw

On a nice day I opened the thing up and gave it a good wash and scrub to hopefully kill the burnt smell. Unfortunately its still there, but I imagine after bodywork starts, and I scrub the rest of the interior itll all be gone

GSXftw

So... havent updated for a while... Heres where we're at... I tore into the engine that came out of the GVR4. First thing I noticed was the timing belt was done wrong

It was very rough to turn over by hand... Was pretty sure the bottom was screwed, it had fresh oil in the pan, but the oil filter/pump were bone dry, thinking the prev owner added oil after it seized...

Balance shafts were seized... then I got the head off...

burnt valve...

Notice the bearings stuck on the shafts, and the blue on them

The parts pile just keeps growing...

Got the cyclone intake mani

The crank has been polished, pistons are on the way, block is stripped and cleaned, things are happening finally...Gonna sell my supra and that should pay for getting this thing going

GSXftw

Pistons came in today, so they went straight to the machine shop with the rods for joining, also ordered ARPs just because

GSXftw

so it seems like I'm slacking on this thing quite a bit, and yeah I kind of am...but Ive been very hard at work getting things in line to make this car happen. I completely stripped/crushed my 1G, so that I can go all in on this thing. It is getting a ton of upgrades all at once to push it into the 11s. At this point the sleeper aspect will still hold true to the outside and as youre driving, but the engine will look far from stock. I do however still want nice driveability and a comfortable ride. So far I am on step 1 towards GVR4 assembly, which is going through the trans out of the 1G. Its a 92 TEL, with 4 spider center. The synchros are worn out so just gonna slap synchros/bearings in it, reshim it proper, and top it off with an EVO III 5th gear. The engine will be pretty much good to go, all it needs is balance shafts installed. I didn't take many pics cause my hands were totally dirty in a trans, but stay tuned, I haven't given up on this thing

GSXftw

Y'all ready for a real update? Chipping away at the iceberg this weekend, redoing the trans. Heres the intermediate that came out

I had a 2nd gear that looked a lot better so it went on with new synchros and bearings. I'm gonna try doubling up the 1-2 hub springs this time around. Seen mixed reviews but I'm there so we'll see how it works

After hot tank

Funny to find out, but sometime in this trans life before I got it, the front diff obviously blew the hell up at some point

GSXftw

Continuing with blueprinting the trans and setting it up properly. When this trans was in my 1G, all I did was buy a used 92 trans since thats the best year, throw the 4 spider diff in, and run it. It worked as a used trans would, but the 1-2 shift was still a little slow (.7 sec) vs the .5 sec 2-3 and 3-4, even with the double synchro 2nd gear. After a few months racing, the 2nd gear sychro was done all together, and caught every shift. I already had a bearing/synchro kit for a 92 trans, so Im pressing all new bearings/races in, and doing the math to shim it to tighter tolerances. So far the trans is showing pretty loose compared to what I want. I should be able to order the shims and have this thing together so I can move onto the engine

GSXftw

Going through the engine out of the donor car. Has about 3k miles on it, but none were easy miles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Gonna install balance shafts, go back to a forward facing alternator, and fit the AC compressor with the cyclone.
Here is the BS that came out of this car, I had to laugh

Here is the engine being stripped on the things it needs done

I don't really like how the oil holes are smaller in this aftermarket front case compared to OEM, so Im gonna go ahead and use the OEM one as long as the gears check out okay

Last edited:

GSXftw

Did some more work towards making this thing happen... Gaskets came in so I was able to close the engine back up. I was set on adding balance shafts back in, but after thinking about it some more... I said naw and kept them deleted. I can deal with a little bit of vibrating since it'll be on stock mounts with an insert or two. I packed the pump full of grease, and replaced the front case gasket that had been leaking a little previously. I also went ahead and drilled out the oil passage ways on this case while I was there, and radiused it a bit

The previous accessory setup on this engine in the 1G was a stock filter housing/sandwich cooler, side exit exhaust, and rear mounted Saturn alternator. It had a FFOH from a not turbo also at one point, which didn't really matter for the side exit, it was just nice having a cooler. This time Ill be keeping AC, and going back to alternator up front.

It all went pretty good there, I was happy to see the AC compressor clearing the cyclone with no issues, a DSM compressor will not I know that!
Unfortunately I ran into a little roadblock here... Which I kinda foresaw, just been a while since Ive had a more "conventional" setup to deal with... I'm thinking here I will go back to a FFOFH just to get the car going, then I'll do a sandwich cooler once its needed.

GSXftw

Been doing some prepping on the rear bumper... watch this cool timelapse video I did

click

Last edited:

strokin4dr

Not available for the public to watch

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned